“Expensive wireless Internet connection”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sutton
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Arrived on Friday for my second 2 night stay. I arrived a little early (about 30 minutes) and my room was not quite ready which was not an issue especially because of the friendliness of the staff and the complimentary wine/coffee voucher given.
The rooms cannot be faulted, neither can the restaurants, bars or staff. In fact I would go as far as saying they are some of the most collectively friendly and professional staff I have met.

My only big issue is having to pay for wireless Internet access. £5 for an hour!!
Or in my case it would have been £25 for the two days. In this day and age I struggle to find justification for hotels making this charge.

Anyway that is my real only need with the hotel so that out of the way I would recommend it to anyone needing the central Sutton location.

• Stayed: February 2013
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and service, highly appreciated and certainly will be shared with all at the hotel.
I have taken your comment onboard with reference to the internet charges and can only inform you that our internet/wifi service as well entertainment cetntre on the TV's are run and conmtrolled by a external company hence the charges. I know we are working on a solution for this and within due time this should be complimentary, certainly for our Priority Club Members.

Looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have stayed here on a number of occasions, going back over 10 years. I am prompted to comment now, because I feel the hotel has improved its offer significantly in the last couple of years, with better furniture, more comfortable beds, better TV selection etc. This, combined with the fact that prices have not signiifcantly increased over the years, mean that I now think it offers quite reasonable value for money.

Food in the restaurant is also improved, with more quality and variety than they used to have and the health centre is of a decent standard. Reception staff are generally very polite, helpful and well-informed.

My only complaint is the drinks, which remain stubbornly extortionate for what is a pretty souless bar and not one you would probably never choose to frequent unless you were a hotel guest.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments wth reference to your recent stay. I can inform you that over the spell of the last 5 years we have re-inversted aprox. £1m back into the hotel and I am happy to see understand that our guest do ntoice this.
I have taken on board the comments with reference to our beverage prices and thjey will be considered when new prices will have to be decided early April 2013.

Marco J. Frik

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We booked this hotel and confirmed on booking our needs for a disabled room with a walk in shower and interconnecting room. On arrival we were shown to our rooms...the second room being on a completly different floor!! We complained and got an apology from the manager who blamed the booking line operator, we got upgraded to a suite but our weekend away was ruined. It was hard work for my friend to get around in her wheelchair so I ended up having to move furniture!! She couldn't access the bathroom facilities at all and the staff suggested I take her downstairs to the showers and cover her with a towel to go back to the room! Needless to say we haven't booked there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is a shame you only posted this review 4 months after your original stay. I have to admit that we have 2 disabled rooms, both on a different floor. Each DDA room though is connected, via a interconnecting door to a room next door.
I do apologise for the confusion about a walk-in shower, which is clearly stated on our website(s) and third party bookers/travel agents are aware of this and should have made you aware accordingly.
I hope you will be able to return to our hotel in the future again.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel is comfortable, quiet, with a very good restaurant. It is close to everything - shopping, train station, bus lines. Parking is ample and convenient. Make sure you ask for the breakfast voucher at check-in, otherwise, breakfast costs more without the voucher. The hotel is a bit expensive to stay at, however.

Room Tip: Have stayed here several times and all rooms so far have been good!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments with reference to your recent stays, which are appreciated. If I make a suggestion, please when making a booking the next time for a future stay, take the option of a inclusive breakfast rate, which overall comes in even more cheaper than a breakfast voucher.
Looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel,

Reviewed February 8, 2013

had over 30 stays here - business obliging - therefore I deem to be in a position to be able to
rate this hotel at its right value.
can t really complain about the service level, being a regular which would be recognized every time, but ultimately I am not asking them for much.

There is absolutely nothing fancy in this hotel, everything is boring and looks a bit decayed.
The room rates are obnoxiously overrated, the rooms small and Ikea like furniture. ( unless you get into one of the junior or plain suites on the 4th floor.)
The breakfast is at it s simplest form and there is absolutely no highlight to be found on any subject.
The fact is that this hotel is pretty much the only one available in this town and neighborhood, so it works out to have a sort of monopoly.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience(s) while staying at the Holiday Inn London Sutton with us. We cappreciate that you consider staying with us all these times.
I would like to thank you also for your kind comment on our staff service, which is highly appreciated.
I have been reading your comments regarding our bedrooms, pricing and breakfast with
interest and happy to take any of them on board but would like to share following with you:
- the hotel received it's upgrades in the summer of 2008 when all furniture as well carpets in
all public area's where replaced by brand new items, something you wil find in most of the
Holiday Inn hotels in the UK&I at present; on top of this we refurbished all bathrooms on the
4th floor *(Executive floor)
- another upgrade took place in the summer of 2010 when all the guest bedrooms received
new carpets, beds, mattresses, shower curtains, new flat screen TV's, new TV entertainment
centre, new uniforms for all staff, new internet/WIFI system, new reception desk as well new
furniture for the Junction restaurant.
- I thought our breakfast was offering a wide enough spread of cold as well hot items,
something I can read in most otherv comments made on TripAdvisor; I can inform you
although that a new breakfast set up and standards will be introduced in all our hotel as from
Monday 11 March 2013
- for this year we have planned also a refurbishment of all bathrooms in all of our Standard
rooms (81) as well a change over of all cub chairs in the bedrooms

As we always try to update our standards and services I can assure you that investment takes place into the hotel each year as we would like to keep our standards as well services provided to the highest levels, something our guest can appreciate.
Once again I would like to thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

I still cannot understand why hotels think they can ask 6 pound an hour for wifi Internet connections in rooms, come on holiday inn you can do better than this! The room was good with excellent service from staff but Internet is mandatory for customers and it should be free

• Stayed: February 2013
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments about our staff and services, I will certainly share this with the rest of the team at the hotel.
I do apologise for the charge for internet at present time, this is due to the fact that the internet and entertainment package in the rooms at present is provided by a external company for most Holiday Inn hotels in the UK, but I know IHG is working on this and looking to change this in the (near) future and offer this on a complimentary basis in certain area's of it's hotels.

Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future,

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed here for two nights and throughly enjoyed myself! The rooms where very clean rather big and had a lovely powerful shower! The staff where extremelly helpful and very lovely. The breakfast was full of choice and went to a sensible time so didnt have to get up too early! The spa was lovely we could use the swimming pool at any time in which they gave you fresh towels! Over all a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Appreciate your nice comments with reference to the services provided and staff on duty and we hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future again.

Yours sincerely,

Holiday In London Sutton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton
The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel
Hampton by Hilton London Croydon
Chessington Safari Hotel
Chessington Safari Hotel
#2 of 3 in Chessington

Been to Holiday Inn London Sutton? Share your experiences!