“Reasonable food, worrying hygiene issues”

39 Prime @ JJWhispers
Ranked #56 of 83 Restaurants in Reigate
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Our food was perfectly acceptable, but to be honest, myself and all my fellow diners agreed that it was very run-of-the-mill and nothing to rave about. For example, the steaks would have been far nicer if they had been charred a little rather than looking rather grey. The chips were nice though!
Deserts were yummy, even if the biscuits on the cheeseboard were dodgy!

Main reason for my review is to comment on a worrying hygiene issue. The salt and pepper were served in finger bowls rather than normal shakers. Nothing wrong in that - until the waitress removed them from our table (half way through our meal, without asking if we had finished with them, which we hadn't...) and then took them straight to another table for them to use. Luckily we are all the kind of people who wash our hands after using the toilet, but if we hadn't done so, our bodily waste would have been in the salt and pepper, which were then given to another table. YUCK!

1  Thank Jenny C

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I came here on Saturday evening to celebrate a friends 60th birthday and was not disappointed.
Even though we were a table of ten and maybe a bit rowdy, the food and service was second to none!
I had the ravioli to start and Christmas dinner (with the best goose fat roast potatoes!) for my main course, followed by the cheeseboard. Every part of my meal was excellent and the other diners agreed, although a colleague who ordered the rib-eye steak said hers was slightly under what she thought of as rare she still thoroughly enjoyed her meal.
The waiting staff were very obliging, and one particular lady went beyond what you would expect by fetching a colleague's coat, so that she could go outside to have a cigarette between courses.
This place is a MUST if you have never ventured here before.
I will definitely be coming back!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Went here for a friends "leaving the country" party/farewell meal. Food was from a pre-set menu but was excellent. Staff were excellent at looking after all of us (in excess of 20) can't remember much more as I then got drunk downstairs...... would definately go again

1  Thank Neil O
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have been here for dinner 4 time now and cannot rave about this place enough, the food is amazing, great portions, fantastic friendly and prompt service and quality food.

3 times out of 4 I have had the steak which is to die for and last time the lamb, highly recommended and perfect for an evening out if you want some yummy cocktails afterwards downstairs or a boogie late into the night in JJ whispers.

1  Thank mazysuk
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Had a delicious meal at this restaurant. The decor is stunning and it creates an intimate atmosphere. Although the restaurant specialises in steaks, I chose the cod which was perfectly cooked and so tasty. The staff were friendly and attentive and we felt very well looked after. Perfect for a special night out.

1  Thank helsbels207