“Highly recommended!”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband and I decided to go to the Bell Street Bistro despite reading some bad reviews and being warned off my friends and we were so glad we did. The service was impeccable with a lovely relaxed atmosphere.

Food was plentiful and extremely tasty, so much so that following my starter, I had trouble polishing off my main. It was however, too good to leave behind.

The facilities are excellent although for those people who are not used to continental loos, do not be surprised to meet a member of the opposite sex in the bathroom.

Definitely a place we will return to and we may just have found our favourite dining place in Reigate!

3 Thank mrsmillsee

London
“Love it - Do not understand the bad reviews?”
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Went to Bell St Bistro last night for about the 25th time. As the wife and I are obviously fat, drunken, extroverts we have got to know a few of the team there. So much so that last night, we were chatting to Chef Michael and he mentioned the TA reviews. Prompting me to look at and now put my not unsubstantial two pennies worth on-line.

Best Esspresso Martinis in Surrey FACT! They must be, as I can't get the wife past this restaurant without her popping in for one. I am dragged in too, of course. Chelsea behind the bar is a fastidious steward, who puts enough care & attention into the drinks to get me to try the weird and the wonderful, no matter how camp I look drinking it.

The food is classic french bistro, hearty, clever mixes of meat/fish with differing sauces. My favourites for starter are the scallops and pork belly on a butternut squash purree, or the smoked salmon, grilled asparagus, poached egg, and tarragon sauce. For mains, we are all about the boeuf and dauphinois, or the Grilled Cod, with pancetta on celeriac mash with a poached egg on top. Although recently I have become obsessed, and actually craved the Croque Monsieur with Boef. Despite "Bossy" waitress Ebony, telling me off for having the same thing. ;)
It's all cooked slowly, well, and with love. We have never had a problem with any of the dishes. If we had I am confident Bruno or Jack would rectify it immediately after we had brought it to their attention. (Instead of sitting there for the rest of you meal unhappy, stewing, going home, not having sex, going online and venting. You know who you are. Stop being so bloody British and complain. Then maybe it would give them the chance to fix it - angry rant ends)

Anyhoo, dessert. Wonderful crumble and ice creams etc, but I am now kind of stuck on the chocolate fondant. Which is just the right amount of gooey chocolate and outer structure. Nom. Does writing reviews make anyone else hungry?

My negative that I take away is such a simple thing, yet changes the tenure of our evening. The Music. Sort it out! Last night I felt I was queuing for a ride at Alton Towers as this weird classical/dance track mixed into urban cookie collective (kids, ask your parents) and then into Rhianna. Make a decision on a style and stick to it. If that style is war of the worlds, expect me to come in wearing headphones and complaining loudly (as we did last night, queue the inoffensive guitar plucking of Jack Johnson)

We mostly work and socialise up in London during the week and Mrs McDill is a sucker for a Michelin star, or a new cocktail in a pop up bar in Shoreditch. But that's not what Bell Street is trying to be. I think it's aimed at a bistro style, good food, good surroundings, good service. They are consistently hitting the target for me

7 Thank patmcdill
“Very good time”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We was 4 last night to come have dinner my first impression was jack very friendly welcoming, the menu is very attractive with great choice. I do believe If you come to have dinner in bell street bistro if you don't like is very difficult because you have great venue and the food is very good and wine list. For me don't believe what some people se is you choice. Thank you jack and kitchen team for you great service

2 Thank Greenb27
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Underwhelming”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were really pleased to see this venue open. The owners had run two previous establishments which we enjoyed. A good location, plenty of space inside, a considerable investment in the venue and all looked good. However drinks were outrageously overpriced in my opinion and they weren't quick with the cocktails either. So slow we might as well not have bothered as the wine and starter had arrived. The food was totally......underwhelming. Just a bit average really and relative to the price, we haven't been back since. What a shame and a lost opportunity. Unfortunately we dare not risk a return visit as its expensive and we find other nearby well known establishments are guaranteed to offer good dining at a similar or marginally cheaper price.

1 Thank BeanieA
Essex
“Starve before you go!”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We went for lunch on a Friday. We were greeted pleasantly and sat at our table while out brollies and coats were delt with efficiently. The food was lovely. My smoked salmon with asparagus starter was a large porton and would have done as a light main with some bread. I had sticky beef light portion but couldn't finish it which was a great shame as it was delicious and the chips were fab! The service was top class too.This was an early Mother's day treat from my son and I can't wait to go back.

1 Thank Nanathetraveller