“Response to Bad Experience”
Review of Skimmington Castle

Skimmington Castle
Ranked #3 of 81 Restaurants in Reigate
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Response to Bad Experience”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

In response to the previous review, I was also present on said evening. The review writer shouted at the local customer who had a much much smaller dog than hers. She was frankly embarrassing. The customer in question has been a regular at the skimmington for as long as I can remember! He is a charming, outgoing, salt of the earth gent who owns numerous customer service based business in the local area and employs over 60 local people and I feel for an individual to be victimised publicly is unacceptable, notwithstanding the fact this has absolutely nothing to do with the establishment. I and my friends always enjoy our visits to the skim, it is a fabulous local pub serving great food and the landlady does certainly not deserve a bad review. This feels like a personal attack on an individual rather than any reflection on the pub itself!

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank Lindylouloo

Reigate
“A Bad Experience”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I attended with my husband, son and two dogs for an early evening drink. I have lived in this area all my life and have seen this pub under many managements. There was another customer with a dog who was not on a lead. His dog kept bothering mine as well as another couple's dog. After about 10 minutes I politely asked the customer to put his dog on the lead. What followed was such appalling verbal abuse directed to me and the other customer who agreed with me. This went completely unchecked by the young bar staff . The landlady eventually came out and spoke to the abusive man but no apology was made to me or the other customer. I was horrified and shocked . It was a very unpleasant experience. Does the landlady prefer drunk abusive customers ?

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank 346Caroline
Reigate, United Kingdom
“Love this place.”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is a proper traditional pub, with loads of character. It hasn't been 'poshed' up and turned into a gastro pub, but it does serve good food, has a really nice atmosphere, in really nice surroundings. It's a great pub to stop and have a drink and a walk, or for a nice evening meal. They always have some great choices on their specials menu, and the Sunday roast is reasonable value, and there is plenty of it (although very busy, so you definitely need to book).
Probably my most frequented pub in the Reigate area, ..and for very good reasons.

• Visited May 2013
Reigate, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub, great location”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

A stunning pub in a great location with gorgeous views.

We didn't have any food as the two fish options were sold out, but sat outside and relaxed with some good beer and enjoyed a pleasant afternoon.

• Visited May 2013
lnorton01
“Poor and embarrassing”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A thoroughly miserable experience at The Skimmington Castle yesterday. Having come here for the last 25 years, we had few worries about booking a table for Sunday lunch following a walk with friends who were visiting from London. I booked the table for 6 + baby on Friday. They were already booked up for most of lunchtime but we took the 2.30pm slot as that suited us fine. When we arrived we were quite disappointed to discover that we were to be shoved in what is essentially a basement storeroom - completely isolated from the atmosphere of the pub with just a small dirty window and an old gas heater. The only means of getting down there was by a very narrow staircase. Given that I had requested a high chair for a baby, it could have been safely assumed that we would be arriving with a pushchair which, in order to get down the stairs, had to have a peacefully sleeping baby removed from it so that it could be fully dismantled (it's a compact pushchair too)! The highchair provided was genuinely filthy with dried on food and dirt. I am not one to be overly fussy about things like that but I used up half a packet of baby wipes to get it somewhere near hygienic. Nevertheless the pub, which is popular with walkers, was very busy and we had little hope of being accommodated elsewhere without a long wait so we made ourselves as comfortable as we could.

We ordered our drinks but were told that the requested bitter was no longer available. When given two alternatives, we naturally enquired what they were like. This was met with silence and an actual shrug of the shoulders from the waitress. After further probing we established that one at least was a darker ale that could pass as a suitable replacement for a bitter. This pub supposedly prides itself on its real ales so not being able to tell a customer what types they have on offer is inexcusable especially as they are often lesser-known guest ales. We then had a wait of around 25 minutes before someone came to take our order. One of our group is vegetarian but happy to eat fish. Disappointingly the fish pie had sold out and the only other vegetarian alternatives available were chickpea curry and nut roast which are pretty poor offerings in this day and age. As my friend commented "Nut roast? Is this the 1970's?" We then embarked on a mind numbingly long wait for our food. We enquired about it several times. At one point my husband went up and said that we had been waiting nearly an hour and a half to be met with "it's lunchtime, we're really busy". Actually it was almost 4 o'clock and was almost dinner time! Staggeringly the waitress then decided to come to our table and tell us that she had checked the time of the order and we had only been waiting 50 minutes for our food. Aside from the rude, defensive attitude and 50 minutes still being a ridiculous amount of time to wait for one course, she had neglected to take into account how long it had taken them to come and take our order in the first place. At one point we were told that ours was being plated up, 20 minutes later we were still waiting. When the food finally did arrive, it was hit and miss to say the least. Some of us had two potatoes, others had three. A lot of the veg (which came separately) was cool and the beef was grey and unappetising. The lamb was well-cooked and tasty and the one dish of hot veg that arrived was nice. The Yorkshire puddings were small and meagre. Worst of all was the nut roast. It was inedible and as we had relied upon the waitress to tell us the specials because we couldn't see the board where we were, she had neglected to mention that the nut roast was an 'orange and cranberry' nut roast which would have been a big no no for the person who had ordered it. We all sampled a bit and agreed it was very unpleasant. When we mentioned this to the waitress her response was "did you even try it? We often have many compliments on it..."

All in all the wait and the dingy room could have been overlooked by great (even just good) customer service and exceptional quality food but it was all lacking yesterday. There were plenty of staff working so we can't really see where it all went wrong. They should have foreseen that yesterday was going to be a nice day (as we did) and that they would have plenty of business especially as they were pretty much fully booked by Friday anyway. We booked in advance so it's not like we had even persuaded them to squeeze us in but we were made to feel it was all our fault for daring to come on a busy day.

We know we weren't particularly demanding or difficult. Most of us have worked in pubs and restaurants before so we know what it's like when it's busy but we also know how paying customers should be treated when things don't go according to plan. The service fluctuated between dismissive and defensive. We had one or two grudging apologies about the wait but this was always followed by "it's just a really busy lunchtime". There was no offer of a free drink or anything to make the experience more pleasant. In the end we couldn't wait to leave, we had neither the time or energy to escalate our complaints further. I have such wonderful memories of previous visits but we won't be returning again.

• Visited April 2013