Skimmington Castle
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Always good food, especially on Sundays, and always three vegetarian dishes. The nut roast dish is superb. Friendly service. For Sunday lunch, always book a few days in advance or you will find all tables are full. One room has a log fire.

1  Thank 452Jim

Reviewed October 28, 2012

The generous portion of whitebait was anything but, and it came with loads of dainty salad covered in dressing (which I had not anticipated and could not eat because of the dressing) so is this what makes it into a generous portion??? The main dishes made for dull presentation, although the vegetables served separately were terrific and plentiful. Surely the small yorkshire pudding wasn't home made? Plenty of young staff but we were asked 'is everything alright?' so often we felt out hackles rising. We won't bother again.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was our 1st visit despite living nearby and it won`t be our last. The pub is full of charm and character features and is in a lovely setting with lots of walks around Reigate Heath area.
We visited at lunchtime with my elderly parents and I was impressed by the kind attitude of the staff. There is a good choice of food ranging from hot meals to sandwiches,baguettes and jacket potatoes.My only criticism is that there is limited choice for vegetarians. My parents, who like many older people, do not like spicy food or too many "fancy flavours" enjoyed ham, egg and chips and scampi and chips. My husband was full of praise for his beer battered cod and chips and my chilli con carne and rice was fine but to my taste not hot and spicy enough. The desert menu includes tasty sounding traditional puds but we were all far too full to partake as the main course portions are generous! We all had a different type of coffee and all were excellent.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We last visited this pub 15 years ago, we were meeting friends, and this was halfway between our two houses. I decided to look at Trip Advisor to see if it had changed from the last time we visited and were dismayed to see some rather un-complimentary remarks, but was glad to see that the latest remarks were favourable. We were meeting friends again and I am glad to report we received a nice welcome from a very polite young man. He took our drinks order at the table, and was able to describe the specials. Food was delicious. It is a bit off the beaten track, but don't give up it's worth the wait. They do have a sign on the main road but our friends missed it - perhaps it would be helpful if it was put in a more prominent position. It won't be 15 years before we visit again - there are many tables outside which would be lovely on a hot summer day.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Aware that this establishment had a good reputation in the past and had then gone down hill I checked out the current position with trusted friends living in Reigate. We got a thumbs up that things had improved considerably. We were not disappointed. We were celebrating a parent's 92nd birthday. She loves quality fish and chips and she was thrilled with a large beer battered cod and home cooked chips. The fish was tender and tasty. We also had the Lamb Tagine. This was excellently cooked and there was ample to eat. We had gone straight to main course as we were wanting desserts. Baked cheese cake was good and the chocolate brownie laced with Mars bar plus custard was to die for! A very enjoyable lunch served by very friendly staff and providing the quality of the cooking continues at this standard this is definitely worth a visit.