1,284 results
All reviews beautiful building health club master suite hand picked hotels handpicked hotels surrey countryside byron suite classic room tennyson suite chateaubriand course dinner cream tea wedding breakfast one night stay birthday treat wedding reception public areas
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve been staying regularly at this hotel over the last 4 months and have seen many signs of its mismanagement. The place itself is quite interesting but the guest experience is very disappointing. After this week I will never stay there again. I was given room 10 which is at the end of a long corridor on the first floor. I was in shock and disbelief as I walked to my room - the first floor was being painted and the walls on both sides of the first floor corridor had been freshly painted. There were signs on both walls of the corridor asking guests to avoid touching the walls and strong paint fumes emanating from the entire place. Besides the obvious risk of smearing my suit and suitcase on the walls of the long corridor, in other countries this hotel would get sued for making guests sleep in paint fumes.

To add insult to injury, I ran out of shirts and asked for same day laundry service at a hefty premium cost to have my clothes delivered at 6:30pm on the same day. I came back from dinner at 11pm to find out that no one knew where my clothes were. After 10 minutes I received a call back to tell me they had never sent off my clothes at all, but if I wanted them dirty anyway, I could pick them up at reception. Just what I wanted to hear.

I paid almost £600 for my 3-night stay. This hotel has clearly benefited from the lack of choice in the area, and the influx of business travelers like myself. But if they are to cater to business travelers they need to get a real management team. Until then, please avoid

Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank 334flamengo
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were shown to our table and asked to choose a tea from a box of teas which we did and then we were told that they didn't have the tea we picked so we picked coffee then the tea arrived.
Our sandwiches etc turned up after quite a long time waiting and the people on the next table who arrived about half hour after us got there tea first.
We got 3 finger sandwiched each which were cold, bread was dry and tasteless. Processed ham in one, cucumber in another and egg in third all tasteless. We also got 1/4 of a bagel each with a messy piped pink salmon coloured mixture.
The scones were nice and the best part of the tea. The chocolate tiny square cake and passion fruit mini cheesecake were swimming in water as they were frozen and melting on the plate as we ate the sandwiches. The apple compot in an expresso cup was frozen ice covered the outside of the cup which also melted as we ate the sandwiches.. We asked for a second cup of tea and we were sure that they had just put hot water over the original tea leaves in the pot as it looked and tasted like hot water. It was obvious that the complete afternoon tea had come out of the freezer.
We felt that the sandwiches should have been made fresh with nice fillings such as smoked salmon, egg mayo and cress etc
We were very disappointed with the afternoon tea as the priory was impressive but the tea was very poor. Would not return again.

Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank suedno10
CatherineBenford, Deputy General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear suedno10,

Thank you for choosing Nutfield Priory for Afternoon Tea recently. I am so sorry that you were extremely disappointed with the quality of the food we provided and the service from my colleagues.

Would you kindly contact me personally so that we might discuss and resolve this matter, my email address is cbenford@handpicked.co.uk

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

With best regards,

Reviewed June 9, 2019

Stayed at the weekend for a family celebration and occupied 15 rooms. We held a family celebration on the Friday evening and had a private room for that and for breakfast on the Saturday and Sunday morning. The service for these events was excellent, staff were helpful and the food was good.
If the management are reading this, your barman on the Friday afternoon was great but he needed some additional support as he was looking after 30+ guests on his own.
The rooms were lovely, were clean and beds & pillows were comfortable. All in all a very good stay.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank 1stHonestReviews

Dear 1st HonestReviews,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us. My team will be absolutely delighted that you had a great family celebration. Thank you for your comments about the bar team we are training team members to be able to support them.

We certainly look forward to being of service to you again. Thank you again for your review.

With very best wishes and kind regards

Reviewed June 5, 2019

Got a free stay from HSBC credit card. We arrived early for a walk around Nutfield before our dinner which we booked in Warlingham. We decided not to have dinner in the hotel after reading the reviews. Reception was good to let us park and take our luggages to our room when it becomes ready. We got back to our room and luggages were there. We were given room 19 which does not have the best views. It's over looking the carpark and service entrance.
Bed and pillows are comfy. Washroom is OK with lots of towels. Let down was there were black mould around the tub.
The worst part is the air-condition was very noisy. It got to a point I couldn't stand it and shut it off but then the room quickly got too warm. I did not have a good sleep at all.
We had complementary breakfast. One of waiting staff was a little grumpy and stern. She mechanically asked how was our sleep and I gave my honest feed back but she completely ignore it and went on to give us instructions about the buffet table.
That aside the breakfast was good especially the hot food we can order from menu. Buffet table has good enough selection of cold cuts and cheese, smoothy and juices, breads, etc.
On check out, were asked the same question about our stay and I gave the same feed back. Not even offer of money off voucher or whatsoever.
I think I wouldn't pay to stay in this hotel if I had known there are issues like the above.

Room tip: don't choose room 19 and those around, I think they on the east wing.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear HT1024,

Thank you for your ratings. I am sorry that you did not like the location of your room and the view from the window. Unfortunately not all bedrooms can overlook the magnificent Surrey Downs and some do view the courtyard and others the hotel's Health Club & Spa.

The service you describe is not our usual standard and we usually deliver a service that is worthy of higher scores than you experience. I am sorry that this was not the case during your stay with us.

I am dealing with the shortfalls in service and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Nutfield Priory soon.

With best regards,

Reviewed June 5, 2019

Having booked this hotel through Secret Escapes for 2 nights and paid £353. I checked Trip Advisor for comments and ratings, and looked through the Hotel website. I thought it was going to be a wonderful place to stay. WRONG!
On arrival, the first bedroom allocated number 32, was dark and depressing. It had a putrid smell emanating from the bathroom (we were told that this was the source of the intoxicating odour by reception!) and the electrics did not work. We were then moved to another Classic room in the same block that was dirty, disgusting and dangerous! Room 18. The windows were filthy and one could hardly see out of them; big dirty smear marks on the fabric headboard of the bed; bedside drawer handles were greasy; main mirror in bathroom tarnished with a lot of glaze completely removed; wardrobe paint peeling off...the list continues!. The most dangerous thing of all was the bedding. Three out of the 4 pillows supplied were filled with feathers, as was the duvet! This hotel has quoted on its’ website that ‘Sheer Lux’ microfibre pillows that also cater for allergy sufferers' is used and available in their bedrooms! This is not the case at all! We had taken them at their word and thought it a safe environment to sleep in. I am allergic to feathers due to a lung condition, and would have been in very serious trouble had I slept with this bedding. Having fortunately realised that the pillows and duvet was full of feathers, I went to reception at 18.30 and asked for non-feather bedding to be replaced due to my allergy. Their Receptionist confirmed this would be done. On checking with reception at 21.00, I was informed that 'housekeeping was closed and that they could not change the bedding'! The dining room Manager overheard this, and said it would be changed. At 22.10, again checked it had been done, and was told 'NO, housekeeping closed!!!' I was very upset and suggested they get the hypo allergenic bedding from another room as I could not sleep on the bed until this was done!!! It would have been very dangerous for me to do so. Almost 5 hours later at 23.15 the bedding was finally changed by a waitress from the dining room. I was totally exhausted and distressed in the hotels lack of duty of care executed.
In addition to this, the wine glasses in the dining room were dirty (both evenings); evening Menu that offered very limited choice of 3 accompaniments to be ordered and paid extra for with meal (Only chips! (No other potato option available)/green veg/or cauliflower) – was told no chips – awaiting delivery!!!; Having arrived for breakfast buffet at 08.50 (breakfast is served until 09.30), there was supposed to be fresh fruit salad and yogurt available! – Only a few pieces of fruit remained (left uncovered, flies all around) and no yogurt, I asked the waitress if she could kindly replenish this please, answer –no, awaiting delivery of yogurt!! Absolutely Incredulous! Another couple who arrived 5 minutes after us, were unhappy too as they had to hunt around to find something to eat from this ‘buffet’! When one has paid for a full breakfast, one expects to get the food supposedly offered!
Sadly, we were totally misled in so many different aspects. Having stayed at hundreds of hotels worldwide for business or pleasure over the years, I can honestly say this has been the worst. This catalogue of issues totally ruined the relaxing short break for my husband and I. The lack of care and assistance received by the hotel Management and staff is beyond comprehension. In reality the photos of the ‘Classic’ bedrooms allocated are not shown on the hotel website, and this hotel is more like a 2/3 star than 4.

Room tip: Not all 'Classic' rooms are shown on website. Many drab and dirty. Access to rooms have steps, difficult if have mobility problems.
Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank X6237YJpatricias

Dear X6237YJpatricias,

Thank you for taking you time to share your feedback online. I am really disappointed that you experienced several aspects of your stay that fell below your expectations.

I am frustrated that we failed to action your request for non-feathered bedding in a prompt manner, we do have housekeeping available until 9pm every night.

I have investigated your feedback with the team and there was a clear lack of communication between the team on duty, as this has been addressed with the team members.

I have emailed you directly regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,