“Poor experience on almost every level”

Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nutfield
London, England, United Kingdom
“Poor experience on almost every level”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Girlfriend booked as last minute break for us for bank holiday weekend, which was a good start! Was booked just a few days in advance, though a "spa" hotel would be a nice way to relax and switch off.

Warning bells should have gone off as most other places were fully booked, but Nutfield had plenty of availabiity.

Have been to many spas, and when you are paying 250 a night for the room, then you expect to be accommodated in the spa even if last minute. Impossible to call the hotel, you get bounced to the central "hand picked" booking line, where we were promptly told nothing in the spa was available.

Now - I understand that it gets booked out, but when someone is spending 500 on the hotel (and spa) you would expect a higher level of service. However, that is not my major gripe.

Issues:
1. the hotel is not a hotel and spa. There is a health club next door, with reasonable equipment and a very poor pool area. This includes a fairly grotty sauna and a very smelly and poor steam room. The pool was closed as someone had a slight accident in it (not the hotels fault on that one). Outdoors is some very cheap, nasty and dirty plastic chairs to rest on, very poor indeed. The entire set up down stairs was that of a sub standard gym, not a luxury spa. There is a treatment centre area upstairs, which we did not go to as fully booked up. When I had inquired before arriving, I was assured we would have full use of the spa and relaxation area ... and those 2 elements are an utter disgrace
2. Quite dirty room, e.g. radiators had thick dust (as in a cm +) when towel dropped behind it
3. Day 1, we got a single shower gel in the luxury pack in the bathroom ... real high class effort there
4. Day 2, this was gone and there was a solitary shampoo! Well I suppose you get to wash the body one day and the hair the next
5. After breakfast post first night, we got back to room c. 11 -- had not been made up. Popped outside and went to gym, came back at 14:30 .. still not made. In the end we told reception to make the room when we went out in pm
6. Post gym, though I would order room service. Phoned the number. No response. Rung out and went dead. I redialled for five minutes constantly. No luck. I was alternating with reception who were also not answering ... an yet the hotel was pretty quiet. Eventually did get through.
7. Room was very tired, stains on surfaces etc
8. Second night, the TV packed up. I have to say I didn't both trying to get any fix for this
9. First day I used the 2 coffee capsules in the set ... day 2, amazingly ... not replaced
10. On day we left, a very surely cleaner just stood by the door waiting, the icing on the cake!

Plus side:
1. Beautiful building
2. The matress was excellent
3. Happened to be close to a friend of mine who laid on a fantastic bbq

Can't comment on food, did not eat there other than breakfast which was mediocre ... though views fantastic from breakfast.

Overall, rarely have I resented paying for something as much as here, I highly recommend you do not visit if you are expecting a quality hotel and a decent spa (I reiterate, it is a health club with some treatment areas), there are many excellent facilities at better value.

Alastair

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alastair M
RussellLines, General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I can see that you have rated rooms, location and sleep quality at average or above and that you thought the gym facilities were strong, with other elements falling below this level. We, of course, endeavour to ensure all of our guests thoroughly enjoy their experience with us and therefore work towards achieving scores of 5 out of 5. We do achieve very positive feedback but I appreciate that on this particular occasion you have experienced some shortfalls against the standards you are quite right to expect. I would be more than happy to discuss your feedback with you directly if you could spare the time. For now I would like to pass my apologies to you for the shortfalls outlined and for any impact they had on your stay with us.

All the very best.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The most positive part of our stay was that the staff were really friendly and helpful.
The architecture in the main part of the hotel is beautiful and we enjoyed exploring the various rooms. The breakfast buffet was good with a variety of options and everything was clean and well presented.

However, there were a number of issues that left us disappointed with the overall stay. The room was very standard which was disappointing considering the amount of money we paid for our stay and our room over looked the car park. The room was clean for the main part but I don’t believe the sheets had been changed when we first arrived due to finding a stray hair and dirt on the sheets.

The food was good quality but highly overprized and there were additional charges that didn’t appear on the menu, for example water for the table and a “complementary” aperitif. We would recommend going to the restaurants and pubs nearby which have more variety and are better value for money.

The hotel recommended country walks to explore. However, all the walks were down main roads or country roads with no pavements. There are beautiful lakes and views nearby but all the land was privately owned which limited where we could go.

We picked this hotel to celebrate our two year anniversary but unfortunately it did not live up to our expectations.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Naomi M
Many thanks for your review.

Although the title of your review highlights your feelings on your stay, I would like to thank you for presenting a balanced score with 3 areas rated as good and the other 3 as average.

I know we spoke on departure but I would like to reiterate my apologies. We experience a great deal of positive feedback and of course endeavour to ensure we achieve such feedback ever more consistently but I am sorry that we did not meet with your, or indeed our, expectations on this occasion. We continuously strive to make any necessary improvements to ensure our guests thoroughly enjoy their time with us and chose to return. We certainly do not wish to be considered as an average experience so I would like to thank you for your feedback and your time and hope that we will be able to welcome you back again where I am positive you will enjoy a wholly positive stay.

Essex
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed for two nights with our two teenage daughters to attend a wedding. We were greeted with a warm friendly welcome by Peter who even gave us a brief history lesson on the building while escorting us to our rooms. The rooms were both of a relatively high standard but most importantly were comfortable and clean. The breakfast was a delight with plenty of choice and the staff attentive but not pushy. Overall a lovely couple of days in a beautiful building, with wonderful views and excellent staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Alison J
RussellLines, General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us at Nutfield Priory.

I am delighted that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your time here. I will be sure to share your comments with the team - Peter, in particular, will be thrilled that his warm welcome was so well received.

We hope to see you again soon.

West Sussex
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We got married at Nutfield Priory this April and it was genuinely the best day of our lives. The staff could not do enough to make us feel special and our photos with the countryside backdrop look stunning.
The day before the wedding I chilled out in the spa with my bridesmaids; there is a nice Jacuzzi etc, decent sized pool and I was really pleased with my nails!! They did my wedding make up too, with bare minerals, and it was really pretty and natural.
The Wordsworth bridal suite was huge with a fab seperate changing area, lounge and dining areas, roll top bath.
The food was amazing, everyone commented on the canapes!! I want to go back and eat more without all the excitement :-) we ate in the restaurant the next night, its my favourite part of the hotel.. stunning architecture and views.
The wedding coordinator, alison, was lovely and I would recommend my hairdresser beckie to anyone (from the hotels list of suppliers). Our photographer James Hancock who is based in london was amazing.

Room Tip: Wordsworth suite is ideal for brides!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing Nutfield Priory as your chosen venue for your special day and indeed for finding the time to post your review online.

We are so pleased that you have taken away such wonderful memories of your time with us. The team will be thrilled with your comments - especially Alison, the spa team and the kitchen brigade!

We would all like to wish you all the very best for your new married life together.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel was ok, but could be amazing with a little more effort!

The building and grounds are very beautiful, but the interior felt tired. Our room was decorated to a high spec with nice furnishings, however the curtains were coated in dust and cobwebs and the water spout in the bath was hanging off.
There isn't a mini bar and when we tried to order drinks via room service we were told to consult the room service menu for options. 15 mins of hunting revealed our room didn't have one. We had to phone again and wait for one to be delivered so we could make a selection.

Other small annoyances: on our way to our room at 6.30pm on a Sunday evening we passed two breakfast room service trays left piled on a window ledge opposite a room (definitely breakfast, there were eggshells etc) at 8.30pm when we went for dinner it was still there so had been there for the entire day (breakfast is only served until 09.30am).
Our bathroom had only one roll of toilet tissue which was down to the last few sheets when we checked in. This of course ran out by the morning.
When the staff were servicing rooms the following morning they left vacuum cleaners etc strewn across the floors in the corridors, store cupboard doors were open on every corner revealing bottles of toiletries spilled all over the floor.

The restaurant is aiming at high end fine dining, and the prices match this. Some of the staff here made a real effort at pomp but with a genuine friendliness, for which they receive commendation. The food was good. However for all the ceremony there didn't seem to enforce a dress-code, we sat next to people in hoodies and sport tops and some of the staff seemed unable to conceal their amusement at the efforts of the flamboyant head waiter. The cooked breakfast options were very good though and again the service here was to good standard. The view from the breakfast table is lovely.

Overnight a bill was left under our door the speed up checkout, however it was incorrect, we had booked through a third party agent and paid in full for bed and breakfast in advance. When I brought this to the attention of the receptionist showing him a receipt for the payment he insisted on making a phonecall in front of me to confirm that I had indeed paid in advance.

As I said it wasn't drastically bad, but it wasn't fantastic either.

We used the spa, although it took many many phonecalls to track down someone who could make this booking for us. Happily there was a generous discount on offer to hotel guests that day making our treatments competitively priced. The spa, without special request, arranged a room with two beds so we could have our massages simultaneously. As has been mentioned in reviews on this site the spa is part of the leisure centre/ gym in the grounds of the hotel which does take away from the ambience a little, though it has a separate reception for the spa. The treatment rooms I used were nice, although a little chilly. My facial was very pleasant and all three therapists who attended us were nice girls.

Room Tip: Ask for a view, ours overlooked the carpark which was a shame given the lovely setting of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a balanced review following your stay at Nutfield Priory Hotel.

It is clear from your comments that although you were kind enough to highlight all of the following positive elements of your stay - restaurant food and service, breakfast, views from the restaurant and spa service - I appreciate that there were other areas that could have been improved.

Whilst we achieve some very positive feedback, I acknowledge that on this occasion there was a shortfall against the standards you are right to expect. We will continue to make any necessary further improvements in consistency. I would like to thank you once more for your time and I hope you will choose to return again to Nutfield where I am positive you will enjoy every element of your stay.

Warlingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Had an amazing spa day. The facilities are excellent, very relaxing and the staff really helpful and friendly. Highly recommend and very good value for money with lots of special offers. Beautiful setting and easy to get to

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
RussellLines, General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Many thanks indeed for your lovely review and score.

We are so pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your spa day. It is very kind of you to take the time to share your comments online and of course for your recommendation.

All the very best for now. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I booked Nutfield Priory as part of my birthday celebrations as i had been to Handpicked Hotels before and enjoyed my stays in previous hotels. I had a package for £160 including dinner, bnb, and money off a massage. When I booked there was no option for the massage discount so the hotel did upgrade my room instead which was great. I especially picked this hotel because I wanted some rnr and was looking forward to a spa.

When we arrived the room and the hotel itself are beautiful. However, unlike other hotels in the collection you have to walk out of the hotel to reach what can only be described as a tacky 1980s style leisure centre. The pool was so shallow that my partner hit his foot at the bottom of it as he tried to swim. The pool and jacuzzi room was not relaxing in the slightest there was no mood lighting, the jacuzzi was tepid, and anyone that isn't a hotel client can access the facilities. Whilst I was trying to relax in a far from adequate environment some child was screaming so not very relaxing. Needless to say I was not impressed at all and was actually quite devastated I hated spending my birthday in such a nasty cheap and tacky leisure centre which was not a proper spa. It was nothing like the other spas in the hotels e.g. Rhinefield House which is gorgeous and relaxing.

Instead of spending a few hours in the pool and spa relaxing my partner and I walked out after 20 mins after having in a luke warmish jacuzzi.

We went back to hotel and to be fair the dinner with the package was of good quality and was nice, the staff were friendly, and they had happy birthday piped in chocolate on my desert plate which was really sweet. We asked the bartender if he could make some cocktails for us, he was friendly and the cocktails were lovely.The breakfast in the morning was good and there were lovely views.

However, I did have to call the hotel up 3 days later because they were still holding the preauthorisation of £100.

ALL in all I would say if you want a spa hotel DO NOT BOTHER unless you don't have standards and think a tacky recreation centre is something good. IF you do want a lovely hotel room with great views and don't mind about the pool facilities then this is a good hotel to stay at.

1 Thank samroz3
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel - the food, the bedroom and the service. I would also like to thank you for choosing Nutfield Priory Hotel for your birthday celebrations.

I understand however that the spa was not to your liking and I can only apologise if your expectations were not met. Our pool depth is fairly standard for facilities of this nature and comes under health & safety guidelines. I am sorry if the hot tub did not feel up to temperature -we will review our records. We run the hot tub at 38 degrees and check every two hours - we will be sure to review this procedure to prevent any further anomaly.

I am sorry that the ambience was not to your preference. The facilities are only open to hotel guests and private members. We have in place adult swim times to help ensure we offer suitable conditions to all - I am sorry if these timings were not mentioned/offered to you in advance.

I would be happy, of course, to discuss your stay further if you would like to speak with me directly at the hotel.

All the very best for now and I hope to speak with you soon.

Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nutfield
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#1 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!