“A beautiful and peaceful hotel”

Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nutfield
London, United Kingdom
“A beautiful and peaceful hotel”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a Saturday night stay here. We arrived early at 10.30, and checked in as we had spa treatments and lunch booked. To our surprise our room was ready. The receptionist was friendly and efficient, and check in was faultless, we were soon taken to our room. The Nutfield Priory Hotel is absolutely gorgeous, full of character. There is lots to look and marvel at. Our deluxe room (39) overlooked stunning countryside, the kingsize bed was the best hotel bed we have ever slept in, so comfy.
The Spa was small, but adequate, our full body massage and facials were lovely and relaxing, and the spa lunch was really good ours included champagne.
Evening meals and breakfast were included and were in the Cloisters Restuarant, which was beautiful. We were both worried we were going to have small portions, but needn't have we were full to bursting, however, drinks were very expensive!
As for the staff, they were all superb, all very friendly, helpful and efficient. We were Amazed to see the same staff working in the morning after working very late into the night, and they were still really welcoming and chatty.
There was also a wedding in the hotel whilst we were there, but it did not affect our stay at all, we heard no noise.
We would totally recommend this beautiful hotel and would certainly return.

Room Tip: Room 39 is a deluxe room with lovely countryside views
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review about our hotel and my colleagues. It is a real pleasure for me to read that they made your stay exceptional and I have circulated your review to them all to ensure they know their efforts are appreciated by our guests.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Nutfield Priory very soon.

GENERAL MANAGER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed here as part of a spa package. The hotel was quite stunning as you approach it and our room was a good size and really tastefully decorated with plush fabrics. There was a huge plasma tv with Sky, but no fridge which is a bit of a pain. Nice modern bathroom but the shower was a bit dribbly. We had a fantastic meal in the Cloisters restaurant, the only gripe being that I was still swallowing the last mouthful of my starter as the main course arrived! Possibly a punishment for being late for our dinner reservation! I think the major downfall of staying here as part of a spa deal is that the spa is a long walk away across a car park and there's no way through from the hotel. This is far from ideal as every time you want to flit from spa to hotel, you have to get dressed again! The actual wet spa area was a little disappointing and really quite basic. However, we had 2 treatments each and they were fantastic - possibly the best massage I have ever had, and the staff were friendly and approachable. We had a lovely time, but I just thought it would be worth pointing out about the separation of the spa from the hotel, and for this reason I wouldn't stay there again for a spa break. The hotel however is beautiful and the views are simply stunning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a comprehensive your review of your visit to Nutfield Priory. I read it with mixed feelings because it is clear to me that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and also the treatments that you had in the spa – your therapist was thrilled that you thought your massage was the best that you have ever had - but it is also clear to me that we didn’t meet some of your expectations. We try and make it clear in all of our advertising and collateral that our spa is located within the confines of our private members health club and the wet facilities are not dedicated for spa guests but for club members as well, so it is focussed more on swimming than relaxing. We are also careful to stress that the Health Club is a more modern building adjacent to the hotel and this does mean, regrettably a short walk across the car park. I am sorry that this spoiled this part of your visit.

I note that you would not come to us again for a spa break but I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back as hotel guests in the not-too-distant future.

London
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for one Saturday night. We arrived about 5ish and were shown to our room. It was lovely, clean and had a nice view. The bathroom was nice but I was slightly disappointed it wasn't a little more special (by this I mean a big tub and walk in shower). We used the swimming pool and steam room before getting ready for dinner at the Cloister's restaurant. The restaurant was beautiful and felt incredibly opulent. The food was good and of a high standard.The service was attentive but not intrusive. The following morning we used the pool again before heading back to the restaurant for a delicious and freshly cooked breakfast. It was so l peaceful. I would go back when I fancy some time away from the bustle of London.
The only comment I have was the swimming pool and changing areas could do with a bit of a refresh. On the Sunday morning, there was a woman giving swimming lessons to young children which made it difficult to swim but we had a super time none the less.
Overall it's a nice romantic get-away or a great place to chill out with friends.

1 Thank stella w
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit to Nutfield Priory. I was delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back very soon. I have noted your comments about the pool in our Health Club; please be assured that plans are afoot to undertake upgrading work in this area soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

The wedding moved along smoothly , with my personal touches delivered by the hotel , all my guests had a fantastic time , staff where all very good but sean made me feel very special on both days , we had a champagne tea with the hens the day befor after a full days activities at priory events , i would not have changed anything . A big thank you
Regards rachael

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Rachael291269
Windsor
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The Nutfield Priory is a stunning old building and the suite we were booked into was modern with a large Plasma TV and modern plush fixtures and fittings. It was all very nice but the benchmark for us was The Forbury in Reading and this didn't quite match with regards to the finer details. The TV had Sky with Skysports on but during our 2 night stay had to be reset 3 times and wasn't working again when we left (the Forbury had a large plasma and a Bang & Olufsen sound system). The bathroom had a speaker in the ceiling but didn't work (The Forbury had B&O speakers in the bathroom with touch volume). The bathroom was large but the fixtures in it were the same standard units as all the other rooms therefore nullifying the size of the room (The Forbury had a double bath and in room spa bath service, the bathroom also had mood lighting). The tea and coffee facility was replenished on the first evening but not the second and there was no fridge or minibar (The Forbury had a fresh coffee machine and fresh milk in the fridge).

The room has full Aircon (something The Forbury dearly lacks) but we had the large windows open allowing the fresh air in (again something The Forbury lacks).

The views over the downs are truly stunning, a feature fully maximised in our corner room and the Library is a tranquil place to bury yourself down into a sofa and read a good book.

The evening restaurant is superb - very high quality menu and can only be praised, you will not be disappointed if you decide to dine there although we did find an amazing Gasto Pub only a £3.50 cab ride away called The Home Cottage in Redhill, I couldn't pick between the two meals.

The breakfast menu is high standard with a full buffet and hot menu. the full English is ok although nothing on my plate felt freshly prepared and that included the poached eggs.

The staff are polite helpful and on our departure offered us directions, our contact with them was nothing but a positive experience.

Overall this is a great hotel but I do believe that if you are paying for a suite you should be paying for additional frills and service rather than simply square footage and the Nutfield Priory doesn't seem to provide this.

Room Tip: Ensure you room overlooks the Downs
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review of your stay with us at Nutfield Priory. I was a little frustrated to read your comparative comments with the accommodation at the Forbury in Reading, as I think there are few similarities between Nutfield Priory and a 5 star, 23 bedroom hotel close to a city centre whereas we are a 4 star, country house hotel, set in 14 acres with outstanding and historical architecture and wonderful views of the Sussex and Surrey Downs – a designated area of Natural Beauty.

We would not naturally benchmark ourselves against the Forbury at all.

I was delighted to read your lovely comments about Cloisters restaurant and I was delighted that you enjoyed our recommendation for the Home Cottage, one of several fine local gastro pubs that our guests enjoy visiting and I was delighted to read that overall you thought that Nutfield Priory was a great hotel and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not-too-distant future.

Yours sincerely

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with by husband for 3 nights. We booked one of the nicer rooms as a treat to ourselves. The room was very spacious, nicely decorated and clean. The bathroom was also spacious and clean.
The library is cosy and the common lounge is beautiful, so we had every reason to greatly enjoy our stay.
Breakfast was the best thing, they have a buffet with fresh fruit, pastries, bread, cold meat, cereals, the works. The cooked breakfast you can order from a separate menu and is delicious. Staff at breakfast is very polite and efficient, making the whole experience of having breakfast in such a nice setting even more pleasant.
Staff at the front desk is quite helpful and tried to deal with our issues the best they could.
The gym and spa are ok, but as others have already reviewed it is a completely separate building and you have to walk through the car park to get there, which is not very nice in the typical English weather. But I imagine most people don´t go to this hotel to go to the gym anyway, but rather to relax and enjoy the setting.
I was a bit disappointed not to be able to hang out in the library one afternoon because it had been set up for afternoon tea and all tables were reserved. It was before noon and even so we were not allowed to stay there. We moved to the main lounge, which is nice but was not as quiet as the library as people were coming and going in preparation for a wedding. The hotel did a good job keeping us away from the noise of the wedding party, so no problems there.
The problems we experienced was related to housekeeping.
Our room was a bit dark and we had to keep all the lights on most of the time and noticed a couple of bulbs were faulty, but we spoke to reception and they sorted it out.
On our second day of stay the house keepers forgot to put toilet paper in our room. I called reception and they said they would send some. We waited for over 1 hours and nothing, so I called again and after another half hour we had some toilet paper.
I made tea and noticed the cups were dirty, and again I called reception and soon we had 2 clean cups. However this happened on 2 separate occasions as the housekeepers didn't bother changing the cups when they made up our room.
One of the glasses in our bathroom was dirty, and it was left there during our whole stay.
We ordered dinner in our room one night, 2 salads, and only one set of cutlery was brought up.
Lastly, the thing that upset me the most, was that after spending a whole day out I was tired and wanted to have a nap. Got back to the hotel at 4:30 and even though we had left the sign on the door early in the morning, asking for our room to be made, guess what? Our room had not been made up. I had had enough by then, so went to reception to complain. It is unacceptable that a hotel in which one pays over 200 pounds a night can have so many faults with housekeeping! It could be that I was unlucky, but based on my experience I would not go back.
At first I thought the weddings (there were 2) could've been the cause, but the cutlery and room not made up incidents happened on a day when there were no weddings.
Had each of these incidents been isolated it would not have been a big deal, I am not a picky person and I understand sometimes things are not perfect, but it were several incidents which in my opinion means they should really consider changing the house keeping team.
I recommend you shop around before deciding on this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a balanced review of your visit to Nutfield Priory. Whilst I was delighted to read of the most positive aspects of your visit, I was very concerned to read about the housekeeping issues that you experienced. May I personally apologise for this shortfall in standards; it is most unusual and despite reviewing personnel levels and performance targets for the period of your stay, I am not able to identify a reason for the problem.

I can fully understand your view that you would not wish to return on a future occasion but I do hope you will re-consider this upon reflection and advise me personally of your stay so that I may ensure that it is incident-free.

Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

We visited here on our wedding anniversary after visiting a fair few hotels and spas and I cannot rate this place highly enough. It was perfect! Beautiful, clean, lovely room, more than one pillow (lol) fantastic food, extremely helpful and polite staff who met every need. You get the picture, this place is amazing. And I'm a very fussy person :

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank xxflutterbyxx
Michael M, General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review; it made me feel proud that your expectations were met and I am delighted that we have an advocate for what we do. Your comments are very much appreciated and I have copied them to my colleagues so that they are aware of your thoughts.

GENERAL MANAGER
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nutfield
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#1 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!