Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
  • Breakfast included
$72
PremierInn.com
1,161 results
All reviewsafternoon teabeautiful buildinghealth clubhand picked hotelshandpicked hotelswordsworth suitesurrey countrysidebyron suiteseparate buildingcourse dinnerexecutive roomone night staybirthday treatcream tearelaxing breakcoffee machinelovely room
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Stayed here after attending a wedding at the hotel.
I had contacted the reception weeks prior to arriving to ask if I could get into bedroom earlier to get changed for wedding. This was agreed as was a very close family member of the groom. However on arrival the bedroom was ready, had to ask a number of times throughout the day as was wanting to put bags away but it didn't become available till 4pm. However others bedrooms were available and the hotel refused to give us one of thoes bedrooms. Reception were rude I often had to wait a while to even get agnowledges dispite no other hotel guests at reception.
The wedding went well apart from these was business meetings taking place in the 'grand hall' area. This was also the area were the official wedding photos were being taken, drinks and canapies being served. The bar area also had people in having lunch. This meant for them a usually quiet lunch was disturbed by 100+ wedding guests. The bar is quite small.
The room we were allocated was impossible to find, was given no direction on how to find it. Had to go down a corridor which unless you knew to go down there would never have though any bedrooms were there. Others who were staying at the wedding were also in this part of the hotel. All had to go back to reception and ask for directions. Is this a game they play at reception to see how long it will take guests to come back and ask for directions?
The room itself was good, clean and a nice bed.
The food was nice, others did complain that the meat (it was roast beef) was mainly grisly, but I did not have this problem. Found drinks very expensive, but I had expected this. Breakfast in the morning was a buffet especially for the wedding guests, this again was nice.
A number of people from the wedding stayed a few miles down the road in the local travel lodge. I feel for the service and cost that this provided much better value for money.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank carlyby
Michael M, General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. Whilst we always enjoy receiving feedback, regrettably more than three months after the event, it is somewhat difficult to provide a truly valid response to some of your comments.

As the hotel is invariably very busy during the wedding season, we never offer guests an early check in as it can invariably lead to disappointment and inconvenience as previous guests may have delayed their check out. We always recommend that guests reserve a room for the prior night but if guests choose not to do this, we do explain that we will try and ensure early access but that we cannot guarantee it.

I was taken aback to read that you felt that my reception team were rude to you and I am sorry that you felt this. It is highly unusual feedback and I am surprised that you did not speak to a member of my management team when this occurred as it is completely unacceptable.

If the Bride and Groom choose to use the Grand Hall of the hotel as a venue for their drinks reception rather than use a private room, they fully understand that they do not have private use of the area and that there may well be residents or other guests in this area. Generally this is not a concern for wedding couples and indeed the greater majority of the hundred weddings we have the pleasure in hosting each year, choose to use the Grand Hall and I am disappointed that you felt it was inappropriate.

As you are aware the hotel was built in 1872 as a private house and incorporates areas originally designed for the service of a large household. With restriction on the development of a listed building, this has created nooks and crannies, short corridors and small staircases that I believe add a unique character to the building. We issue all of our guests with a personalised floor map upon check-in to ease their navigation around the bedroom floors and I am sorry that it appears that you were not given one when you stayed with us.

Please be assured that the prices we charge for drinks are regularly benchmarked against competitor hotels in the local area to ensure that were remain competitively priced.

Clearly the local Travelodge operates a different charging strategy to Nutfield Priory as it offers a completely different product and experience so it would be, by its very nature, cheaper.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

My wife and I spent a Saturday night at the Nutfield Priory in a senior suite on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. The room was massive, well maintained, and had a fantastic view south over the Downs. Dinner and breakfast were both excellent, and the service was friendly and attentive, but without being overdone. The Spa is in a separate building but only a couple of minutes walk from reception. Overall we had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay, and would recommend it to others.

Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank DJWenzel

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor; it is much appreciated. I am really glad that you liked the suite we allocated to you; although all are unique and unusual, they are full of history and charm and as you say, the views are over the downs are incomparable .
I was pleased to read that you felt the service and food in Cloisters restaurant was as you expected as we do try to maintain a level of informality whilst ensuring service is attentive but unobtrusive.

I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Nutfield Priory in the not-too-distant future.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

I booked an overnight stay in this hotel, with dinner and breakfast, combining it with a spa day, as a birthday treat for my husband. The spa is OK but some areas need a coat of paint and new carpets. The staff were very attentive and the treatments on offer were very good. We thoroughly enjoyed the well presented and healthy lunch provided by the spa at a reasonable cost. Our room at the hotel was a little disappointing. It desperately needed a new carpet and some better lighting. It overlooked the car park and I can only envy those whose views were over the garden and beyond - magnificent! Dinner and breakfast were excellent. I chose a goats cheese mousse starter, followed by sea bass. The portions were a nice size and left a bit of room for dessert, which for me, was a chocolate and vanilla panacotta - excellent. The Nutfield was a good choice for us for an overnight stay,

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review; I was really pleased to read that your treat for your husband’s birthday was enjoyable. I appreciate your feedback about the spa décor - as you observed it is situated in a very busy member’s health club and the redecoration of the communal areas is an ongoing project, to ensure we maintain the standard our guests expect.

In designing the bedrooms a subtle approach was taken to lighting to add to the character of the rooms, so I was disappointed to read that you felt your room would have benefitted from improved illumination. In the event that a guest experiences this, we have a selection of table and reading lamps available from housekeeping.

We are in the middle of re-decorating bedrooms and replacing carpets and soft-furnishings in 60% of our bedrooms so whilst I am sure we have the room you occupied scheduled for carpet replacement, I would really appreciate it if you could confirm the room you occupied. My email address is mmckay@handpicked.co.uk

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all of the courses that you ate and I have passed on your kind comments about the food in Cloisters to Chef and his team which they sincerely appreciated.

I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Nutfield Priory on a future occasion.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

We have had lunch and dinner here, and both were excellent. Sunday lunch on a nice day gives you wonderful views over the surrounding coutryside. The food is very good and the service unobtrusive, just as I like it. It definitely isn't one of those restaurants were you feel intimidated by the staff. It is a beautiful building, with a wealth of features, which was once a private home. As I only live a few miles away, I haven't stayed, but would recommend the restaurant for a special occasion as well as a nice Sunday lunch.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review on Trip Advisor about Cloisters restaurant. Your description of the ambience and service is exactly what we aim for in conjunction with a menu that features locally-sourced ingredients, cooked in a modern British style and, we believe, competitively priced.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Michael A McKay FIH GENERAL MANAGER

Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed here for one night in February and I have to say it was all rather magical (more so as it was a surprise :o) The place is immaculate and the hotel a dream if you like 'Hogwarts-esque' experiences. Straight out of ancient times. The room as ever for Hand Picked hotels was well appointed, spacious and in greta working order. The restaurant is a so romantic, wonderful views, great (if amusing) service form very attentive staff and the food was to die for. Views are amazing over the Surrey hills and the breakfast was well presented, plentiful and delicious. Nothing too much trouble. Top marks all round form us. The spa facilities are adequate - not the most modern but the bar and lounge areas are fabulous, modern and friendly - the quiet adults only lounge with it's music and free tea and coffee for spa users is a real plus. All in well worth it and definitely recommended if you want a getaway form London that is not too far a drive :o)

Room Tip: Our room was at the back above the kitchen so although the room smelt of delicious food most of the time the extractor can be noisy - didn't bother us too much but do be aware if you sleep light.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

I was delighted to read your post and was really pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Nutfield; I have passed on your very kind comments to my colleagues and I appreciate the time you took to review the hotel; it is always appreciated.

I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Nutfield Priory in the very near future.