“Unique, beautiful place to stay”

Spread Eagle Tavern and Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hanoverton B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Really enjoyed our 2 day stay at this historical inn. Each room is different, beautifully decorated, many with historical significance, such as the bedroom Abe Lincoln stayed in and gave a speech by the fireplace. Small, quiet town, a very peaceful, restful time! The food was excellent, the servers friendly and attentive. It all made for very pleasant memories.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LE77

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I dined at the Spread Eagle Tavern and Inn twice in the past 60 days. Both times with family and both times included my 6 year old grandson. The Tavern is beautifully restored, filled with antiques and usually not a place to take a little boy. The staff made him feel welcome and offered "kid friendly" menu choices including cheeseburger, chicken strips and french fries to the delight of our little guy. The grown ups enjoyed wonderful meals and the staff was friendy and helpful. If you are looking for fast service, visit a fast food restaurant. This is dining, not eating, so it is meant to be enjoyed over a period of time. Our waiter/waitress was always available for anything we needed but didn't hover.

The beef dishes were superbly done and cooked exactly to order, which I find rare in most restaurants. I had a really nice fish and pasta dish which featured red peppers, onions, artichoke hearts and white wine. As I have now dined there twice, I did notice that the menu changed between visits and I think that it probably reflects the seasons and availability of items for the menu.

We did tour the inn both visits (some of us hadn't seen it the first time around) and the rooms are nice but small due to the size of the inn. Nicely furnished and prices seem in line with any similar bed and breakfast.

Hanoverton is a very small town, not much to see there other than the inn but there is beautiful farm land all around the area.

Dinners range from $19 - $30 and there is a decent wine list including a nice variety of wines by the glass.

Room Tip: All rooms are accessible by stairs. There is no elevator, so no handicapped access.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank WanderWoman0001
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Driving up to and viewing this historic place is exciting and fills one with anticipation. Walking inside from daylight, you must wait until your eyes adjust because it is very dark. There are many, many interesting objects and antiques to take in. Great atmosphere. The darkness made it very difficult for our old eyes to read the menu so we had to ask a lot of questions. We visited on a Wednesday night so there were very few diners. Service was slow though since we were entertaining family we hadn't seen for a while we did not mind the extra time to catch up. The steaks we ordered were done to our liking however the baked potato had been held for a very long time. We ordered Perrier which we never received. Our table was small which surprised us for a restaurant of this high reputation. The staff was very nice and invited us to tour the premises which we did. The rooms in the inn part are very inviting making us think we would like to stay sometime in the future. The dining areas on the main floor and in the basement are very interesting and filled with history and memorabilia which we enjoyed browsing. All in all the food and service were disappointing in this expensive and highly rated restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jim R
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We had a family event on January 27, 2012 in which 15 of us gathered at the Spread Eagle for lunch. Some family members came from out of state. Our server, Chad, was very knowledgeable and helpful re menu items. The clam chowder was outstanding. Everyone loved their meal. The crab cakes were a favorite. I had an open-face beef sandwich that was delicious. The prices were reasonable. We toured the tavern and were impressed with the restoration and history of the place. Next time I'm in Ohio, I will definitely go back for a meal.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Veronica H
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I was born and raised in northwestern and northcentral Ohio. Until this past week, I had never heard of the Spread Eagle Tavern & Inn. And, when my beloved 80-year-old parents asked me to drive them to meet friends for lunch at this establishment, I was highly dubious. Come on. . ."spread eagle tavern"?? It sounded like a gosh-awful dive bar.

I could not have been more wrong. Drop everything and drive straight to this unbelievable gem of a restaurant and inn. Delicious. Outstanding, attentive service. Beautiful, historic surroundings. Perfectly appointed. Immaculately clean.

There were five of us for lunch. We asked and were told that everything was house-made. We had a vegetarian pasta dish, clam chowder, a chicken pasta dish, crab cakes, and a steak. Everyone enjoyed their meal very much and dishes were sent back to the kitchen empty. The coffee was fresh and piping hot. The bread, served before the meal, was freshly made each day. The bread, served warm, are small bagettes and cut into thick slices with whipped butter as an accompaniement.

The service was outstanding. The server clearly knew the menu very well; she did not hesitate in answering all our questions, and made confident recommendations. She returned at the right times to refill our waters and coffee, and ask about any interest in additional bread, or if we wished dessert. Which, by the way, are also made in-house (with the exception of the pies - those are made by a local baker).

The server also invited us to take a peek around the inn. And, what a treat. There are actually two dining rooms; one on the main level, and a second on the second level. The main level seems much more rustic (in a delightful, charming way) and the second level is more refined and "colonial-feeling". There is at least one private dining room for parties of approximately eight people.

From the perspective of the Inn, there is a small sitting room available to overnight guests, and several guest rooms. All but one guest room has an adjoining bath. . .and, these bathrooms are nearly as large as the guest rooms. If you are considering staying at the Inn, be sure and make specific inquiries into the rooms so you can get exactly what you want. For example, some rooms face the front and have large, lovely windows. Other rooms face the back and have much smaller, but charming, dormer-type windows. All have fireplaces.

The rooms each have a name. All have a phone, at least one wing-back chair, and a couple of bottles of water. There are no desks in any of the rooms. I did not check to see if the window treatments were light-filtering, or light-blocking. When making a reservation, you'll want to inquire.

I notice that the 2009 Trip Advisor reviews on this property were negative. Evidently, at some point in the past two years, the Tavern has gotten a new chef and management. This is a top-notch establishment.

I truly felt like I had been transported to New England. I had no idea that such a place existed in Ohio. I've stayed at several places in New England and the Spread Eagle Tavern & Inn has the same characteristics. It's nestled in a tiny and perfectly-preserved village - Hanoverton. Who knew? Now you do!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank TheFlyingMommy
Reviewed April 1, 2011

I grew up in northeast Ohio and on a recent visit back home, came to the Spread Eagle Tavern.

The Tavern and Inn is beautifully decorated, food delicious and rooms filled with period furnishings and colonial perfection. Creative use of space, especially loved the "stalls" in which our booth sat and the signature fireplace which anchors the entire Tavern.
Was a delight to explore the property, remainder of the rooms and rathskeller!

Kudo's on your correct political thinking vs being politically correct! :)
Best wishes for continued success!

Room Tip: All beautiful!
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank RedCedarLodgeIowa
Reviewed February 1, 2011

My family and I love this place and we are Democrats! Yes, it is true that the pictures of the owner with Dan Quaile and Newt Gingrich are really shoved in your face, but once you look past those pictures, the place is amazing. Food is great and you are allowed to walk around the entire building all day if you want to! If you are into historic homes and restaraunts, you can't miss this. Each floor and room is different. You can dine in one of the 4 floors and even stay in bedrooms that look like they are right out of our favorite Inns in Gettysburg. We come at least once a month and make the 2-hour round-trip drive. Its worth it.

A little tip, ask to sit by one of the two fireplaces in the main, lunch dining room! It smells amazing and really keeps you warm in the Ohio weather :)

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jenny8117

Been to Spread Eagle Tavern and Inn? Share your experiences!