All reviews the pub roast beef old church for sunday lunch comfortable bed booked a table coffee machine lovely room stayed for one night gatehouse mains leatherhead boxhill venue gatwick
Selected filters
Reviewed February 23, 2020 via mobile

My wife booked this for our anniversary. Lovely room. Nice bar.

The staff were lovely and polite in both the bar and restaurant.

The menu looked amazing. I ordered the Thai green chicken starter and the prawn and chorizo linguine. I didn't like either, the linguine wasn't a dish. Enough pasta for 2, no flavour. Pick out the prawns but even they seemed flavourless. The chorizo tasted good. I don't send food back generally, and I didn't here. But I wouldn't ever eat dinner here again based on those 2 dishes.

Once in bed, there was no remote control for the tv, really frustrating. No phone, to phone and ask for one. Getting fully dressed to go back to the bar at 10pm?? Not when I'm in bed! First time I've experienced the 'retained remote' policy, and no warning was given at check in.

As a B&B the first time I couldn't hear talking through walls was 1.10pm. The noise went up after the pub emptied, the paper thin wall/floor meant you could hear talking from other rooms, and staff members downstairs. There is a large fan outside our bathroom window squealing away, extractor fan for the kitchen?, it switched on and off all night. Fell asleep at 3.40am. Woke at 7.30 to the stairs creaking through the paper thin wall. Our room was the Cheltenham.

Dinner onwards was pretty poor experience. Not worth the money. Not worth repeating. Yet the staff were really nice. A lack of a reception made nipping down to deal with small issues a pain.

Coffee from a "pod" in the morning was nice. Opened some milk it was black (out of date?, opened but not noticed?). Breakfast was a bacon bap, the bun came covered in sesame seeds and poppy seeds. Not sure why. Ate the 2 slices of bacon without the bap.

I wouldn't recommend for an 'experience', but for accommodation for work it's probably fine in the week. But eat elsewhere. Low quality grub priced too high for what it is. All pub and restaurant staff were helpful and good, but no phones in bedroom AND no clear reception made little things about the room BIG things.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
PauloLuis22, General Manager at The Running Horses, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Notabig,

Its pleasing to read that all considered that staff engagement during your stay was pleasant. In terms of the food, it is a shame that 2 dishes completely ruined your opinion of our standards, we aim to ensure all our menu appease to the general populous and can only do so much in ensuring its perfect for all needs and expectations. the linguine has in fact been revised to be more balanced and hope that should you like to return and give us a second go that you will see the difference in this. Considering the variety of the menu; it would be a worth while visit as there is plenty of varied items yet to try.

As per your experience in the hotel, its with great regret that i can only do so much on the noise you would have herd through the walls as the venue is a 16th Century listed building. The staff will remain cautious to any after hours movements that may disturb any other guests in the future. The extractor fan has also been set to a timer just after service is finished to avoid this.

In the future i can promise that a return visit will be very different, if you will consider giving us a second chance.

Please email me at gm@therunninghorses.co.uk and i would be happy to discuss an alternative complementary room perhaps? to see that the small issues may have simply arisen from the location of your room.

Reviewed February 18, 2020

Just stayed here for a quick break on my Birthday. What a little gem of a place, very cosy with log fires and very welcoming staff. Our room was smallish but beautifully clean and the bathroom spotless with a lovely roll top bath. We had a fabulous dinner ( which beat us both) and a yummy breakfast before we departed. It’s rare to find a proper pub with rooms these days which has kept its charm whilst being kept up to date and up to scratch, facilities wise. Would love to visit again.

Room tip: Would have preferred a room at the front perhaos

Dear Lynnecushing,

Very nice to read that you were able to enjoy your birthday here with The Running Horses, We aim to ensure all our rooms food are always to standard. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 11, 2020

I did not expect the high standard of room given to me, I was blown away by the standard. Bed was comfortable, the room immaculate, and the bathroom though small was really well done. Also there was no road noise, it was quiet, and the pub downstairs is amazing, two fires on the go, a cracking restaurant, and the hosts extremely friendly. The menu is varied and seasonal, and word of warning the chocolate pudding looks small on the plate but is so packed full of flavour and texture it beat me. I really recommend it as a place to base yourself to explore the area or just a short break to reset.

Room tip: Cheltenham room is lovely,
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
PauloLuis22, Manager at The Running Horses, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Richard C,

Thank you so much for the lovely review, we do our best so that all our guests have a similar experience here at The Running Horses. The menu will be changing soon and keep an eye out for it. We look forward to your return.

Paulo Luis.

Reviewed February 6, 2020

After years of trying to find an atmospheric hotel I have finally found it. The room was idyllic with an uneven floor, uneven walls and a sloping ceiling. The wall lights were just perfect. The old wardrobe built into the the wall wall was perfect, as was the shower room which was immaculate. I spoke to the cleaning lady who had recently come from South Africa, so I congratulated her on the cleanliness and presentation of our room.

We had been given a rather smart coffee machine which my husband used- great- and he is a snobbish fuss pot!

So the room was superb.

The food in the bar was, to be honest, better than a lot I have eaten in the past 25 years. My husband had a burger and loved it. I had cod with Palma ham terrine with truffle oil, Romanesque and pureed cauliflower. The second night we had the Shepherd's pie and the linguine. Well, what can I say? We have not been this impressed for a great many uears and we have eaten at Gary Rhodes', Keith Floyds' and the Tanners.

So it must be said that the chefs here are a really good cut above the others. The staff were ALL lovely. The manager was the best we have ever encountered and was so "normal".

We will be back very soon. However, I will bring a candle and Jane Austen style nightdress!

Dear Jacniel S,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely thoughtful review, The Running Horses is truly a magical place. We are ever so glad you could experience it during your stay. We constantly aim to deliver the best service and food quality. I have passed on your lovely comments to the whole team. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 1, 2020 via mobile

We stayed here for a night for my partner's birthday and we can't recommend it enough. Our room was beautiful and very comfortable. Dinner was excellent, we shared a baked camembert to start, then had risotto and chicken kiev for main, all delicious. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, including making us a packed lunch to take on our walk the following day. And the location for walking in the Surrey Downs could not be better.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
PauloLuis22, General Manager at The Running Horses, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear f2993qlalexf,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it was an absolute pleasure having you guys stay and we are ever so pleased your partner enjoyed their birthday. We accommodate for all needs and will do all we can to make it the best experience possible. We look forward to your return.

Paulo Luis.