TripAdvisor
Mickleham
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews the pub roast beef old church for sunday lunch booked a table comfortable bed lovely room stayed for one night mains leatherhead boxhill venue gatwick
Selected filters
Reviewed March 7, 2016

We came for a late Mother's Day lunch and were certainly not disappointed. The food is hearty and sophisticated, with rich flavours and brilliant diversity. The staff were brilliant, service quick, and prices reasonable. As food fans we were seriously impressed!

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank C8904YKjoew
TheRunningHorses, General Manager at The Running Horses, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2016

Thank you for your great review, Mothers day was a busy one and I am delighted everything was good for you. Iain

Reviewed February 15, 2016 via mobile

A chance stop after a hike on Box Hill lead to a joyous revelation at The Running Horses. Their food is fantastic. This is not you're average pub lunch. Note we sat in the bar area rather than the more formal dining areas. We shared an exceedingly delicious seafood platter which was really fresh and excellently prepared. This was all the more surprising as it happened to be Valentine's Day (that day that food is never ever up to standard!)
Real fires, cosy nooks & dog-friendly combined with friendly service made this a quintessential country British pub experience.

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
The-Running H, General Manager at The Running Horses, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2016

Thank you so much for your review, we look forward to your return as soon as possible! Iain

Reviewed February 10, 2016

Hiking and stopped here, great soup and the burger in brioche bun looked delicious. Absolutely packed. Book a table.
We had to sit outside it was so busy. The booths look like fun.
Certainly seemed like the 'hip' place to be even in your hiking gear:)

Trip type: Traveled with friends
The-Running H, General Manager at The Running Horses, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2016

Thanks for the review! We always recommend booking in advance to avoid disappointment. Hopefully see you back here soon. Iain

Reviewed February 5, 2016

I stayed a week in the Ascot room and was traveling to Dorking for business. The location is perfect. It's walking distance to Dorking Station and the bus line runs both directions with stops directly in front of the property. The Ascot has a view of the beautiful Mickleham Church across the street. There are just five rooms above the pub and good selection of food for breakfast (which I believe was included with the stay) and throughout the day. I had bangers and mash one night, a burger and chips another - excellent on both occasions. The room was immaculate. There's a slight draft as the windows are old but nothing noticeable unless you had the heat off and stood at them. Every day I'd leave and when I came back, Nespresso pods were restocked, towels swapped out, and room spotless. The best part of the stay though was the staff. On my first morning heading into work, I only had cash for the bus which isn't accepted. When I asked Farid about acceptable forms of payment, he mentioned the Oyster card and because I didn't yet have one, he offered me his. I reluctantly accepted his kind gesture and returned the card the next morning with repayment which he refused. He even offered to let me keep it for the entire stay which I declined as I picked up my own that day. Every morning for the rest of the stay, Farid offered tips for my stay. I'll be back to London eventually and though this place is about an hour out by train, I don't know that I'd rather stay anywhere else.

Room tip: Ascot has a view of the church and the bus lines for a quick status check.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
The-Running H, General Manager at The Running Horses, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2016

Thank you for your kind words, Farid is a great asset to the team here and I am delighted he helped you. We look forward to seeing you back here soon. Iain

Reviewed February 1, 2016

Just what we needed after a cold day out. Cosy pub area ( and dining area too if required), friendly staff, yummy beef and excellent yorkshire pudding! Make sure you leave room for the desserts as they were incredible!! Will be back if we're in the area.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
The-Running H, General Manager at The Running Horses, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review our pub. The beef is awesome even if we say so ourselves! Hopefully see you again soon. Iain