TripAdvisor
Mickleham
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews the pub roast beef old church for sunday lunch booked a table comfortable bed lovely room stayed for one night mains leatherhead boxhill venue gatwick
Selected filters
Reviewed November 2, 2015

Having held our wedding reception at the Running Horses under the old management we thought we would give the new lot a go. I booked a room by email several months ago, followed up with a phone call to the manager to give card details and was told we had secured the booking. As I had no email response, I thought it best to check and two days before our stay I was then informed they did not have us booked. The previous manager was no longer working there and we could have another night for free. Not exactly much help as we live in Germany and are only in the UK for a few days this year for a friends' birthday. Stunningly bad service.

Room tip: Book elsewhere or use a booking portal rather than going direct
Date of stay: November 2015
2  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed November 2, 2015

We stayed as a result of having had a drink here, several months previously. I was so encouraged when I rang to confirm the booking, one week ahead. I explained that my husband was coeliac (gluten free diet). The person at the end of the phone assured me that this would be dealt with and thanked me so much for giving advance warning. Why did I waste my time? As sadly is so often the case, no gluten free sausage/bread available at breakfast. This was disappointing, especially as the accommodation and welcome to the premises was first class. Would have scored five star if communication issues could be sorted.

Room tip: Epsom was very comfortable, with a lovely large bathroom.
Reviewed October 14, 2015

Business lunch for 5. Virgin Mary cocktail tomato juice was more like a jar of passata and rather gloopy which set the mood. Unenthusiastic waiter. Asked for a prawn avocado mains and came with no avocado - I was told it had been blended with the prawn dressing. Crisps served instead of chips, no condiments offered. Chicken pie was good - other meals average. Overall does not stack up to previous good experiences under old management.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
4  Thank Aviator2
Reviewed October 11, 2015

Highly recommend The Running Horses for a weekend away, not too far from London. Great walks very nearby and a lovely restaurant. Had best night's sleep we'd had in ages, something I'm not just attributing to the gin!

1  Thank Jacquie B
Reviewed October 8, 2015

If you are walking in the Surrey Hills The Running Horses is an ideal place for lunch. This old English Coaching in has a great deal of History and the Church opposite dates back to the Doomsday Book. The pub and restaurant have a great deal fo character and bar food is also served lunch time in the restaurant. The fishcakes with poached egg are very good. Ideal to drive to even if you are not a walker. parking is dfificult but you can usually find a space in the road. Although a party of 30 arrived when we were there the service was very good and the staff were very attentive and pleasant.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends