“Brilliant atmosphere, great food and friendly helpful staff”
Review of The Running Horses

The Running Horses
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mickleham
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We spent a very comfortable night staying in one of the cottages owned by the "Running Horses" Pub/Hotel; it was lovely and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The Pub/Hotel has won awards for its food and, having eaten supper and breakfast here, we can see why; the food was very tasty with generous portions and of a high standard.

Both Julia and I are runners and we found a footpath up to Box Hill; the views have to be seen to be believed, they are stunning. If you are a runner or love walking you will not be disappointed.

A small tip; speak to Nelson, the breakfast waiter, about running and walking routes; he is a hive of information and a very lovely man. We thoroughly enjoyed his company.

A big thank you to all the staff, especially Nelson.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gatehouse cottage; we loved it!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Have been going here for years because everything is exceptional - staff, beer, wine, food and the building. I went in yesterday and, for the first time ever, there was no decent beer. The usual array of five ales had been replaced by three from Brakspears. I asked why and was told that Brakspears had bought the pub. I tried the three beers and they were all pretty grim. If this is the first sign that excellence is to be replaced by dogmatic insistence on using the brewery's standard beer, wines and menus then the dear old place is due for a sad future.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David M
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I arrived at the running horses shortly after 6:15 on the first Saturday of the month. Friends of whom held a Christmas function the previous year recommended the place.
on arrival we were instantly greeted by a friendly young lady, and were asked if we had a reservation etc.. A warm welcome goes along way and despite the bar being very busy she succeeded in making me feel at home.
We hadn't booked ahead so chose to sit in the bar area. As non drinkers we ordered coffee and got comfortable.
My wife ordered the cod and I went for the pork belly. We shared a ham hock to start which arrived within minutes. The hock itself was fantastic but the picalilli was a little to sharp for us.
The mains were brought out to us, again very promptly, but by a different server. The shirt and tie led me to believe it may have been the manager/assistant. He was very friendly and helpfull although stinking of alcohol and swaying slightly. This was a little off putting.
However the cod was cooked to perfection with all the flavors contributing wonderfully, and my pork was so moist it was falling apart. The best dish I have had in a very long time!
Overall a 9/10 with my score having to be dropped due to the boozy boss?!
Would recommend and will be back, perhaps to enjoy an overnight stay

Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Running Horses as I needed a change of scene. What I found was a pleasant mix of friendly locals and people stopping by for refreshment after a walk around the picturesque Surrey Hills setting. The food was simple but done extremely well. The selection of drinks available caters to most tastes and the wine is very good. The service was impeccable. I will be back!

1  Thank JonnyS1
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

What a gem we've found here! This was only the second time I've been to The Running Horses and the manager knew my name and what my favourite drink was without me even asking. We came down from London looking for a nice place in the country to have lunch and pay a significant amount more in town for an awful lot less. The staff (led by Robin) are polite and attentive, the food is exquisite and the atmosphere is upbeat yet refined. I have tried to find somewhere as good as this for many years and look forward to coming back.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

My partner and I live in nearby Box Hill and one Sunday took a stroll down to the bottom and through Mickleham. Being gluten free vegetarians, normally we would have taken food with us, but this was an impromptu walk and so this time we omitted to do so. Thinking that most pubs would at least do jacket potatoes, we thought we would be alright here, but sadly all they could offer was a nondescript starter which consisted of a few leaves with something resembling artichokes. Since there was no gluten free bread and no chips, we had to make do with a bag of crisps to try and fill up - the bill with drinks came to a ridiculous sum - almost £20. To be honest, I felt cheated, as had I been a meat eater who could also eat wheat, or for that matter even a vegetarian who could eat wheat, we could have had a hearty meal for not much more. Instead we had to make do with what amounted to a snack, and consequently were starving by mid afternoon. As nice as the staff were, I won't be coming here again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GeysirGal
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We visited here for a significant birthday lunch on a Monday. Consequently the place was quiet and only one other table was occupied. The pub is traditional and in a great location. The menu reflects this emphasis; it is reasonably short and concentrates on gastro pub classics. I felt the chef had taken his eye off my roast cod and it was a little dry and overdone...however, the accompanying sauce vierge and sauteed potatoes were spot on. My starter of confit chicken terrine was not quite unctuous enough and lacked a bit of bite. Similarly the cheese board was undistinguished. But I wouldn't want to be too critical; service is warm and friendly, the Brakspears beer was excellent and the wine doubly so. This all contributed to nine of us having a very acceptable dining experience and a good time

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mickleham
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
#1 of 3 in Egham
Travelodge Leatherhead
Travelodge Leatherhead
#2 of 3 in Leatherhead

Been to The Running Horses? Share your experiences!