“Incomplete menu - again”
Review of The Running Horses

The Running Horses
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mickleham
Mailhac
“Incomplete menu - again”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was invited by some friends/colleagues for a pleasant evening meal after a long day. The setting of this restaurant and its bar is magnificent.
Apparently they had a flood in their dry store the night before so more than half the menu was not available (including some dishes with only fresh food in them!). Only the tastiest (to my mind) dishes we not available BUT they did have an extra dish of a chateaubriande at £60.00!!
The Macon wine had been allowed to get hot and was then served super chilled.
I did enjoy my dessert and the company that I was with was very pleasant. Had this not been the case, I suspect that my review would be much worse.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
weybridge
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I recently visited The Running Horses with my brother, who had been visiting me for a few days.
We had been walking at Juniper Bottom and decided to have a pint and a snack afterwards, at what looked like a very inviting country pub. We were dismayed to find the staff extremely unfriendly and also unwilling to serve us with a couple of bowls of chips, which is all we required, with our drinks. They said they could only serve chips if we ordered a proper meal to go with them. This pub obviously only wants clientele who come in and pay their over inflated prices for a meal and does not cater for walkers who just want a drink and a snack. We also witnessed a customer being spoken to by a member of the bar staff, extremely rudely, without any cause to do so.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank trevord866
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We have been to the Running Horses many times for celebration meals, and have always enjoyed the food and service. We were disappointed to find that some menu items were un available, and had been substituted - I don't think mash is a good substitute for root vegetable dauphinoise, so this was a shame. Mussels were off the menu too. We were given a table so wonky it could have starred in Fawlty Towers. The desserts were delicious.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Swanland
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were invited for lunch to this delightful pub on Good Friday. The restaurant was naturally very busy and there were a few hiccups with the orders not arriving together. The food itself was however absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend the smoked mackrel fish cakes served on a bed of sanfire which I had as a starter. As well as the food being excellent, there was a large selection of wine sold by the glass - although it is of course always cheaper glass for glass to buy by the bottle.
It was a pleasure to be served a meal on a spotlessly white cloth with cloth serviettes and not paper ones.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Janet B
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Booked by friends who lived locally to the Pub, this was our first destination in our European Holiday. I imagine this is true to authentic village pub (although I have nothing to compare it to!) Very hospitable staff. Food was really good. Had my first Guinness here, in a "true" pint! Stayed in the Ascot Room, which had a gorgeous four poster bed, and fabulous bathroom with claw footed bath (I think the bathroom was recently renovated). Very clean. Comfortable bed. We did get very hot in the room... but probably our fault, as we didn't know how to turn down the thermostat (we don't have those sort of heaters at home!) Can't complain about anything. Is a lovely old pub with good old fashioned service. Short taxi ride away (staff happy to assist in ordering), to board the train at Leatherhead or Dorking, and take the train to Waterloo (London)

Room Tip: All rooms are upstairs, so if you have mobility issues, this isn't the accommodation for you.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
South Australia
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel early this month for my wife's Birthday and to visit friends.
While it is out of London central it gives you a great feeling of what a country village feel is all about.
The staff are very friendly and the locals made you feel at home.
The rooms are very well appointed, clean and a comfortable bed.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Food served on dirty plates, sauce out of a jar. Serving staff charming but not that bothered that I didn't like it . My friend had soup out of a chipped ikea bowl. This place used to be a lot better than it is now. I had a bar meal here last summer and that was also disappointing. I'd hoped it was a one off but actually seems to be becoming the norm. Please go back to providing quality food rather than trying to cut corners

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Lolita2222
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mickleham
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
De Vere Horsley Estate
De Vere Horsley Estate
#1 of 1 in East Horsley
The Garden House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to The Running Horses? Share your experiences!