“Unbelievably bad service”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mickleham
London, United Kingdom
“Unbelievably bad service”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Just a quick comment to say I could not believe the service we received at the The Running Horses. First off let me say that it is a lovely country pub with good beer and a good location however their understanding of customer service leaves a lot to be desired.
My friend ordered the Three Local Sausages and Mash. While she was eating them she found them very pink and cold in the middle. My friend clearly was put off by this so I took them to the bar and asked if they could be cooked a little more. The waitress returned a minute later and put the plate down saying the chef cooks them pink and left. I was dumbstruck having worked in catering for 29 years I could not believe the arrogance of it. My friend didn't fancy eating any more so left them.
I spoke to the Manager and explained what had happened and informed him I was not after an alternative or my money back but would like to speak to the chef and inform him of his error. Needless to say I was told he had left for the day. I was also surprised at no point did the manager even bother to apologise.

I for one will not be going back, there is plenty of other country pubs in Surrey with better service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
London
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We were so psyched about our weekend in golden Surrey - we were celebrating our first anniversary and decided to upgrade from The Burford Bridge, where we had met one year before, to the lovely looking pub we had passed on our homeward journey. It looks idyllic - steeped in history, a truly picturesque setting I can't express how let down we were by The Running Horses. Our room was tiny and basic - really basic - it was impossible to spend any time there as we only had one chair between us. However, the biggest dissapointment with this place is the staff. We followed in the steps of Emma and made our way up Box Hill - the main attraction in this area. We had a fairly good breakfast, although the staff weren't overly friendly we noticed - turns out this was a mere taster of the hostility the lunchtime staff mete out. We returned back just before 2.30 ready for a hearty lunch in the pub. As I stood looking at the printed menu, picked off the bar, the most offhand, graceless bar maid I've ever come across flatly informed me that the kitchen was closed and made to take the menu from my hand. I was too shocked to fully retaliate - seriously, I'm a middle-aged professional, used to brusque manners, but this attitude was dreadful. When I pointed out to the bar man that it was still not 2.30 i got a similar response. A complaint to the landlord resulted in a half hearted instruction to 'see if there was anything the kitchen could manage' - in interaction conducted without once making eye contact with me. So, no food, a megre room and a couple of hundred quid later (this place isn't cheap) my advice to you is, seriously, go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Waterl00sunset
Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2011

We booked a table on Friday evening for Saturday lunch for 4 adults and 2 teenage daughters. We then read a number of reviews on this and other websites that almost made us cancel our booking describing poor service and a dingy restaurant. However we are so glad we didnt. The dining room, although a low ceiling in keeping with the age of the building, was presented beautifully with white walls, crisp white tablecloths, and sparkling cutlery and glassware. We were shown promptly to our table and immediately asked if we would like to order a drink. Having placed our food order we were served a choice of delicious granary or blue cheese bread. Starters included goats cheese and beetroot stack or cornish crab cakes, with a second helping of the bread offered. The varied main courses included steaks, roasted cod with a lemon cous cous topping, lamb shank served with mash and green beans, and a couple of vegetarian options. The waiting staff were courteous and attentive and didnt baulk when my children asked for ketchup which arrived in a little dish. Puddings were equally delicious - a chocolate cheesecake, sticky date and sultana pudding, apple flan and good selection of good quality ice cream. There was a good choice of beers and wine including by the glass. Coffee came promptly and our verdict was all in all well worth a visit. Total cost was £220 for 3 starters, 6 mains, 4 puddings, 3 coffees and drinks. We intend to revisit to try the bar menu and we'll certainly be back for another meal in this delightful pub.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank LuckyTravellerSurrey
Surrey
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We chose to stay in this pub for 35th wedding anniversary as we had read excellent reviews on tripadvisor about the food, the location and the service. It was very expensive for a B&B but we thought it would be worth it for a special occasion. We wanted somewhere not to far away and not full of wedding parties which is why we did not choose a hotel. We were very disappointed. The room was described as deluxe which it was not. It was small only one chair to sit on, tired needed a lick of paint the shower room needed updating and cleaning thoroughly! We ate in the restaurant the food was very pricey and not the quality we expected starter of crab cakes were mostly mash potato and bland, main course chicken chips and salad steak chips and salad frozen chips! The sweets were beautifully presented, the coffee was like mud would have expected much more for the prices they charged. Needless to say we ate out the next night! Then on the morning we were leaving while we were at breakfast our room was cleaned for new guests, and the bed changed we felt like they were trying to get rid of us. We wanted to make the most of our weekend and relax for the last couple of hours. We tried to complain but only breakfast staff on duty.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HappycoupleSurrey
Surrey
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We made our booking through late rooms and got a good discount. The Inn is exactly as it's described almost at the foot of Box Hill, equi-distant between Dorking & Leatherhead and close to the Denbies wine estate. We booked a classic double room which was spacious with en suite. The bed was comfy and bed linen crisp and clean. The bar and restaurant were bustling on a Saturday evening but not noisy. Service was really good from check in round to breakfast time and check out. Breakfast was 8am-10am so we even managed a lie-in! The Running Horses wasn't our first choice but we are glad we found it! Thumbs up from us!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BCJC
Perth
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We recently visited the Running Horses for a family Sunday lunch. It is a lovely old pub set in the village of Mickleham village opposite a pretty flint church. We ate in the restaurant and all had the set lunch which offers a choice of 2 or 3 courses - ₤19 or ₤25. The dining room setting was nice and being 10 people we had a long table in the corner. A bar menu is also available and food is good based on traditional English roasts and there is plenty of it with some interesting options such as Pheasant Wellington for a starter. However, given cost vs quality, in my opinion it is somewhat over priced. Service although professional was lacking in terms of attention. We had to wait to be seated for quite a time (nobody was there) and we had to ask more than once for various things. Sunday is obviously a busy time and it was possible they were understaffed. A discretionary service charge of 10% is automatically added to the bill, which given the quality of the service, I declined to pay. There was no issue with this and including drinks total cost was ₤324. Despite the problems with service I would have no hesitation in recommending the pub for a pint or lunch.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Wales, Uk
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Nice pub with excellent bar food. Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Comfortable en suite rooms which were quiet despite being in a popular and busy pub. Very close to Box Hill so lovely walking and views nearby.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mickleham
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in Cobham
De Vere Horsley Estate
De Vere Horsley Estate
#1 of 1 in East Horsley

Been to The Running Horses? Share your experiences!