“Going back in Time”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Going back in Time”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Driven past this restaurant for years, finally decided to give it a go. Interior very dated but this only added to the charm.

Starters and mains were excellent. As a dessert lover I was a bit disappointed with the choice and the actual dessert I choose.

Service was good. Waiter had a sense of humour!

Used the Gourmet Card, so all in all an excellent evening out and worth travelling. Wish it was nearer to home as partner had to drive so therefore could not have a drink!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank sheenamaclean

Horsham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Felt like a holiday abroad”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We booked a table for lunch for 4 on a very sunny Saturday. One of our party had been driving past this restaurant for years and had always wondered what it was like. The other 3 had never heard of it. Upon arrival we could see the decor was a little tired. We were shown to our table by the waiter and the Chef came out to greet us with appetisers. Appetisers, starters and main courses were excellent and very well presented.The service was very good. The italian atmosphere created was very pleasant and we all felt like we were on a holiday.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Nathalie B
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Like kicking a puppy”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Having eaten at Frascati three times, giving this review is like kicking a puppy.

Trouble is, if no one speaks out, things won't change - and now they need to.

Frascati is fighting against its proximity to the A24 into Dorking with limited parking, so it has to set its stall out properly.

On previous visits, its tired interior has been saved by the quality of the service and its food. But whether it's because head man Tony was on holiday, I don't know, but our latest visit in mid-May was awful.

I'll accept that calamari isn't the most tasty of starters, but the batter was soggy and it tasted of absolutely nothing. No discernible taste of seasoning - or squid.

Our mains, as recommended by our waiter, was a salmon dish on special. But despite giving us a list of things it came with, he neglected to tell us the dish was served cold. Not something I would've chosen if I'd had the heads up.

My side order of sauteed potatoes was late, and not crispy as I requested. They were also brought to me with the caveat: "i think these are cold." They were, so why bring them?

If the chef was under pressure, I could've understood that these things sometimes happen, but when you're the only two in the place,that shows a lack of care.

The icing on the cake was our waiter. In fairness, I've never seen him before, so he may have been just filling in, but if I wanted someone hovering over and watching me and my wife while we ate, I'd go on a picnic with jam and wait for wasps.

Frankly, I don't need to know that you're going to see X-Men: Days of Future Past when you knock off. And I certainly don't want to hear about the trouble with your teeth, the pain you've had, the treatment you're going to have, and watch you poking in your mouth when I'm eating cold salmon and reheated sauteed potatoes.

All I need from my waiting staff is friendly efficiency, quietly attentive service and an ability to get my order correct. This will elicit a good tip. However, I am not your friend and you are not mine.

All this is a real shame, because what Frascati do really well is the range of food and massive portions. If they were able to invest in the tired and faded interior, and pull in some coolly efficient staff, they could be a real player. At the moment, they feel like a unplayed sub.

1 Thank idhare
Dorking, United Kingdom
“Terrible”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Day before Mothers day 2014 ... poor, confused and very slow service. Pork dish was dry. Kitchen and waiting staff seemed to be at odds. Owners too rude too respond to my complaint. Been going there since they opened. They will NOT SEE US AGAIN!

2 Thank Ken H
Guildford, United Kingdom
“A wonderful little restaurant!”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

If you live locally and you've driven down the Michelham bends in from Leatherhead to Dorking, you will probably have thought "I wonder what that restaurant is like?" Well, after doing this 2/3000 times I finally ate there. It probably hasn't been done up in the 25 years I've been in the area, in fact the menus still have the old 0372 area code instead of 01372! But what a wonderfully dated little restaurant, it's like stepping into a time warp. Reminds of the small local restaurants you pop into whilst on holiday. The staff were really friendly and the food was superb, grilled sardines as a starter (can't go wrong with that) my father had a clam, tomato spaghetti dish which he raved about and all three of us had the fillet mignon, it was to die for!
This really is a little gem of a restaurant and a definite recommendation, I will certainly be going back. The food is reasonably priced as well!