All reviews afternoon tea ceremony room wedding breakfast wedding reception wedding venue buffet style family room groupon deal an evening meal an overnight stay one night stay the pub full english jets bride prosecco guildford
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed here due to a mistake with another hotel's booking system so we were actually never meant to stay at this hotel... sadly we did. I like to believe that I am a person who looks to see the best in people and places, so here are my comments:
This hotel has good bones and will hopefully be back to it's former glory once it finishes all the room renovations. However, sadly if you do not get a renovated room, like we did not, it's a huge disappointment. From the outside and lobby area all looks well, but inside these rooms you will find; thread bare carpets, minimal amenities, an extremely old shower system that didn't even produce hot enough water to take a shower, and dated furniture. Overall service was fair, but not at all first class. Their appears to be miscommunication between departments, and some confusion at times. We had late check-out as our booking since we were part of a wedding party, twice we had members of the cleaning service disturb our morning; once without even knocking!
Breakfast was decent, but often when items ran out they didn't get replenished for a while.
Overall we as a family would not recommend this hotel. I'm sure it can be very good, but sadly our experience was not, especially for the price we paid. We were surprised that no discounts were offered.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Sunday lunch last weekend was great. We all ate roasted beef and it was delicious. Very good starters and super rich desserts. The one the kids liked the most was the brownie. we will repeat without hesitation

Trip type: Traveled with family
AndrewV1913, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guest

Our Sunday Lunches are a huge hit with our guests and the locals.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We live local to Thatchers and have always thought it looked very special..
Our daughter is getting married so we suggested Thatchers for a venue, we booked into the restaurant for dinner so we could get a feel for the place..
To say it was disappointing would be an understatement..!!
The interior is very tired with vast areas of carpet joined together by tape.
It was Sunday lunchtime and there was only our table and 1 other occupied and they were having cream tea.
The food was so disappointing, what was supposedly chicken Fajitas comprised of a dry plain chicken breast sat on top of a pile of limp vegetables which were like warm.
One dinner had a lump of charcoal on the plate..
A Steak with garlic sauce was over powering, smothered in melted garlic butter.
That killed everyone’s appetite and so we left the dinners, paid the bill less a 25% discount as a good will gesture by the chef and will not only be looking elsewhere for our daughters wedding but will also not be looking to eat in there again anytime soon..

Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Guest

Would you be kind enough to send me your information, by your review you state that you booked for dinner and further along you state that you had lunch and not only that chicken fajitas are not on our Sunday lunch menu but on our bar menu,
I do apologise that you didn't like them but they are extremely popular.

I have checked that we had a booking for 5pm Sunday, by this time all our Sunday lunches are usually finished of which that day we had 64 covers. This booking I have looked into chose not to have our Sunday lunch menu but to have the bar menu.

We are currently under refurbishment of which some areas have not been started as of yet.

Please send me your details and I will look into this.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Do not get me wrong, this is not a negative review, rather constructive.

To begin with, booking through reservations at the hotel was very difficult. It took two days as the first booking was not confirmed within 24 hours. When trying to confirm it the next day, not record was found. After several calls/emails it was eventually found and thankfully it was not taken twice from my credit card. So I think this needs improving.

There is plenty of parking and the hotel is well lit. The reception area and bar are very nicely presented. However check in was difficult as the room was incorrectly booked. Somehow my email address was used as my first and last name. We did have a giggle with the receptionist about this. For these two reasons, I took a point of my rating.

The room was spacious but we had difficulty shutting the windows as they were rotten. The room itself is in need of a refurb. This lost a point of the rating.

We only stayed one night and the breakfast next morning was really good. All of the staff at the hotel were very pleasant and seemed very happy.

I would recommend the hotel to stay and I think some refurb work is planned. This lovely situated hotel has a lot of potential and looks very impressive. I would have no hesitation in holding an event here if I lived/worked in the area.

1  Thank Darren B

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments, we are currently training new staff in all departments and do apologise for your confusion with your booking.

We are currently under refurbishment of which will be starting with the bedrooms very shortly.

We do hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

What a poor quality hotel, rooms are like cells, but dirtier. Windows won’t close, bed looks like it hasn’t been cleaned for years, layers of dust in plain sight, dirty bathroom, peeling paint, filthy floor, broken furniture, no tv remote, no-one at breakfast to greet and seat. Very poor quality food choice and unappetising look at breakfast.

Maybe this is just a bad patch for the hotel based on some of the other reviews, but if you have an upcoming booking and can cancel, I would.

Trip type: Traveled on business