“Nice but expensive” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Leatherhead
London, United Kingdom
“Nice but expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

We booked to go to this hotel as my friend was getting married. My negative points first - the room for the marriage ceremony bends round on the groom's side, so you maybe a bit unfortunate and not have direct sight of the ceremony. The wedding breakfast was held in the main dining room and due to the building pillars you couldn't actually see everyone. Lastly we paid for an executive room but I am not sure what was executive as it was like any other normal hotel room. Lastly the drinks were hotel expensive I would suggest more expected in London rather than Guildford

However, my friend had the best day ever for her wedding with the event planner Clive doing an amazing job of moving people around the building without you feeling interrupted. The wedding breakfast food was truly worth the money and amazing beautiful. The service was impeccable

Lastly the bed in my room was amazingly comfortable and the breakfast although self service had an impressive choice of both Continental & fried

Room Tip: We stayed in room 610 which was a good room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KatieWGM1, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you 1969tina71. I am glad you had fun at your friends’ wedding and enjoyed our food and found our service impeccable. Your constructive feedback will be discussed with the team at our next team meeting. Hope to see you again here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Don't believe the bad reviews.Yes this place is in need of some refurbishment but the rooms are clean, warm (yes the radiators can be switched off!) and the bed is very comfortable. We stayed two nights and ate in the dining room on the first night. The food and service was excellent. On New Year's Eve, the party was very good. There were some delays to the meal but everyone was offered a complimentary glass of wine from the management as an apology. Again food excellent, great entertainment and the staff service second to none. Breakfasts were good too with a great choice. The coffee is a bit weak and the drinks are a bit pricey but for a hotel in this location that is not altogether surprising.
By far and away the biggest plus for us was the staff. We found every staff member friendly, polite and professional. What a pleasant surprise that is these days!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Julie695 thank you for your kind comments about our team here. I will be sure to pass these on to them all.

New Year is a great occasion and I am pleased we were able to make it special for you! Hope to see you next year to celebrate 2015
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Had a great time at my mates wedding at this hotel, staff were nice and they did a great job of providing a super wedding & reception...

...just cannot understand why a pint of cola would cost £3.20 when you can buy a 3 pint bottle for £2, a small bottle of mineral water was £2.50....thought I was back in rip off London. I know margins need to be maintained but so does reputation...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
555William555 Winter weddings are so wonderful and I am pleased you had a great time. We will discuss your feedback at our next management meeting. Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts.
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband & I stayed at the Thatchers hotel for 3 nights over the Christmas period. We had a lovely time & the staff were very welcoming & helpful. We had a lovely room, very spacious & clean. We had a bath & shower & the shower was so powerful it was great. We arrived in the afternoon 24th Dec & were given a lovely afternoon tea...sandwiches cakes & scones with clotted cream & jam. The 3 course evening meal was delicious & service very good. We had a very comfortable nights sleep & awoke to have an extremely good breakfast. There was a very good 5 course Christmas lunch & a light buffet meal in the evening. Nothing was too much trouble & we had a really good time. We would definitely go again. The only complaint we had was the sprouts on Christmas day lunch were too hard & the roast potatoes were a bit rubbery but everything else was really good. Would recommend

Room Tip: room 111 was very spacious & quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Margaret R so nice to hear how much you enjoyed your Christmas break with us. The team really do enjoy looking after you and it was our pleasure.

We are looking forward to next year now and hope we are able to welcome you back soon.
Horsham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Having read good wedding reviews earlier in the year and then a clutch of not so good reviews, we approached our two day Christmas festivities with apprehension at the Thatchers Hotel. We did pay £10 each for the room upgrade and were more than delighted with the room and its facilities and amazing big fluffy towels. I always feel the cold and was very appreciative of the lovely warm room and at night turn the radiator off and opened the window just a little - perfect.
The food although not Michelin Star was very good and plentiful, and the service in the restaurant was outstanding - attentive, no waiting and smiles. The restaurant was very busy Christmas lunchtime but it did not affect the service and even the turkey was edible.
My special thanks to an Irish(?) slightly older lady in the restaurant. who, on discovering we had made a mistake on the timing of the Christmas night buffet, organised a plate full of food for us.
Thanks also the young local barman on Christmas Eve for the special. if a little different, Margaritas - my head still hurts!
Our only comment would be that people might have got together a bit more if an event's organiser could have arranged a proper bar quiz and maybe one or two other activities.
We cannot fault the service, the food, the room - thank you for a lovely Christmas.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend paying for an upgraded room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ErikaHorsham_WSussex thank you for your lovely comments.

We are so pleased you had a wonderful Christmas with us. We have taken note of your quiz comment and will ensure to have a proper bar quiz next year. Hopefully you will be with us again to enjoy it.
Warwick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

A strange place this one. It looks quite nice and pretty promising from the outside. Inside it is very out dated and by that I dont mean quaint old, I mean not so nice out of date. The corridors are dark and the dark brown doors dont help. The rooms are all doubled up off a secondary tiny corridor and in the room it is full of old dark furniture. The breakfast restaurant was also dark and food was ok but the local radio station playing from the speakers just made me feel even more like I was about to go down to radio Norfolk.The staff were nice. I wish I had booked into the Premier Inn down the road nearer to my office to be honest.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Paul007_12
Paul007_12 thank you for leaving your comments.

From your feedback I think you may have stayed in the older part of the hotel which is due for a refurbishment very soon. Please come back and let me know your thoughts once this is complete.

I am pleased my team looked after you and I have discussed your review with them. Hope to welcome you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

I choose this hotel due to it's location to an event rather than specifically to stay at this particular hotel. The reception staff were pleasant if a little slow, especially when checking out. They helpfully ordered a taxi for us the night before for the journey the next day. The rooms are a basic 3 star standard, the bed was a bit hard and my bathroom had shampoo but no shower gel and the towels were quite thin and looked like they hadn't been replaced in a while. The décor and furniture was a bit dated but everything was in working order and the bathroom and bedroom were spotlessly clean. The breakfast was ok, nothing spectacular but adequate for my needs. The coffee at breakfast wasn't not very good! Overall if you need that exact location then it's fine but I personally wouldn't make a special trip there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gemma F
KatieWGM1, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Catnip33, thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I am pleased you found our team to pleasant and helpful and our rooms to be spotless. I am sorry your breakfast was not up to our usual standards, I will talk to my team and discuss your comments. We are getting a new coffee supplier next week who has a great reputation so, please when you are next in the area, pop in for a coffee and cake.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leatherhead
De Vere Horsley Estate
#1 of 4 in Cobham
Barnett Hill Hotel
Barnett Hill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wonersh

Been to Thatchers Hotel? Share your experiences!