“Fantastic wedding - fantastic staff”
Review of Thatchers Hotel

Thatchers Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Leatherhead
“Fantastic wedding - fantastic staff”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Our wedding service and evening reception were held at the Ramada hotel and from the first meeting with Clinton (wedding coordinator) we were sold. His enthusiasm and experience shone through and put our minds at ease, he answered all questions (big and small) with just the right balance of experience and understanding at our lack of confidence. The other staff members deserve a thank you too - Don (master or ceremonies) especially but all staff members were polite and helpful at all times.
The building and gardens are great for photos, and whilst adjacent to a road the traffic is quiet and non intrusive. The wedding breakfast was enjoyed by all without complaint - including the children's meal.
Overall we had a fantastic day at the Ramada and look forward to returning for the complimentary meal next year - if we don't return sooner!

• Stayed September 2013
KatieWGM1, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank you Djackson88 for your comments. I will share these with the team. I am pleased you and Laura enjoyed your special day and we will see you for your anniversary next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We have just had a fabulous time getting married and celebrating a 50 th birthday at this hotel. It could not have been better.
Clinton the wedding co-ordinator made the process so stress free that I could really relax and enjoy everything. The whole day ran without a hitch. The sun shone, The champagne flowed, The rooms for all parts of the day were beautifully presented.
All the staff were professional and friendly to all guests and nothing seemed to be too much trouble no matter what was asked for.
If you are looking for a wedding venue, you would be hard pressed to find a better place to celebrate. Clinton and Don are so helpful and make you as a bride feel number one

Room Tip: The rooms can be rather hot. Bridal suite relaxing and the four poster is a real treat
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarah P
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I booked the hotel as it was hosting the SQA DGSA exam and didn't want to be late. My first issue was booking in. I had booked the hotel on the Ramada webb site (which how no longer lists the hotel) I got a reservation email. On arrival i was told i had no booking and they only had a room with a broken lock. The webb site i used had been turned off!
The room was OK, but the TV did not have full freeview and the picture quality was rubbish. I have no coffee cups, I couldn't leave the room as i wouldn't be able to get back in without a member of staff.

The shower had jets designed for a 7ft person as they could not be adjusted. the toilet paper was very poor quality. The mattress protector make an interesting noise.

Breakfast was very limited with only scrambled eggs that looked rubbery for eggs (no fried). the rest of it was OK. the toast machine was in the bar area and not the restaurant.

i would only stay here again if SQA was running an exam on site.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank John C
KatieWGM1, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
John C, Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that it was not up to our usual standards.
We have recently changed ownership and are looking forward to some exciting changes within the hotel.
I have taken note of your comments and we will discuss them at my managers meeting next week and ensure we take action. We hope that we can welcome you back in the future so you can experience these changes for yourself.

Travelers are raving about these Leatherhead hotels

Verviers, Belgium
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Some years back, the Thatchers was perhaps the best hotel in the region. Over the years the standard has slowly fallen to a medium quality chain hotel. We stayed 3 nights and on two nights there were wedding receptions; the first night there was considerable noise. Perhaps the hotel tries to accomodate the wedding guests on the noisy side of the hotel during such functions: if they don't they should and reserve the quieter side of the hotel for other guests!

The receptionist on arrival did not appear "warmly welcoming": that first contact with the hotel is so important. Not all was lost as the receptionist on departure was efficient and very pleasant.

The quality of the full English breakfast was mediocre: the sausages were not good. Breakfast "buffets" will never be the same as a freshly cooked breakfast!

As the hotel has recently changed hands (from Ramada to Legacy) perhaps efforts will be made to raise the overall standard

Room Tip: avoid wedding nights... unless you happen to be one of the guests!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chrisfrombelgium
Chrisfrombelgium, thank you. Your feedback is vital in assisting us to put Thatcher’s back on the map especially as I have recently taken up my role as General Manager and Legacy are now managing the business on behalf of the new owners.
We have changes that are necessary since the change of hands and we hope to get the chance to welcome you again one day so you can see them.
near brimingham
Reviewed September 3, 2013

On the poor side :- Rooms have no air conditioning and you can barely open the windows for sufficient fresh air., no wifi and poor phone signal. A fan is provided but seriously, it just blows warm air. During the hot spell, sleep was almost impossible when the room was at 30 degrees.

On the plus side, staff are friendly, rooms are a good size, clean and the food is very nice.

Just a shame that the hotel doesn't seem to want to address the other issues otherwise it would be my first choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank fletchie
Fletchie, thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and lovely to hear compliments about our team here. We currently do have free wifi available in our lounge and bar however within the next few months we will have free wifi throughout our hotel, including our bedrooms. We hope this change will mean we see you return soon.
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were generously brought our room for a family wedding by our generous relatives so did not want to appear ungrateful but this hotel has a few problems that could so easily be recitified:

Easy check in by reception, quick and efficient up the lift opened the internal door so good security for travellers but then the heat hits you. It was like getting out of an aeroplane after a ten hour flight landing in the middle of the Sahari dessert. On entering the room again the room was so hot so tried to open the windows which only open a few knotches as we were on second floor!!. The weather on the day of check in was also not that great so goodness what it would be like on a hot day a fan was provided but a decent opening window would have been better.
The room was ok a little tired and a valance on the base of the bed would have covered a few rips but all in all clean and tidy had tea/coffee/iron/tv etc etc . We left the room to explore the area and noticing we only had one set of towels went to reception who advised the second set was in the draw – WHY? How many people ask the reception for the second set of towels.
The shower in our room was the best I have ever had and the hotel should be highly commended on that, it does look like the bathroom was recently refurbished so thank you for that.
The bed was the worst I have ever slept on in fact I think it would have been better to sleep on the floor. The mattress was so uneven and on my side I kept sliding backwards underneath the headboard even though I put one of my husband’s pillows below the gap, we both woke up with terrible back pains caused by this sagging mattress.
Breakfast was not included but because it was a late wedding we decided to treat ourselves so went to the restaurant and were advised if we went into breakfast from there it was £15 but if we went to reception and booked it then it was £10 – How silly obviously we went to reception but again like the towel something your guest shouldn’t really have to be troubled with. Breakfast was ok. Fruit salad and fresh pastries were good, full English buffet style where you can ask for poached or fried eggs after discovering a sign after we though the only option was scrambled. Self service toast which is also a pain as well it takes ages and has to be done twice to get any sort of colour on the bread.
Check out was ok but we did mention the beds and the heat and i didn’t get the response I felt should be awarded just a mumble of I will mention it to maintenance which does not really help my back.
On reading other reviews on this hotel the management seem to be good at saying sorry but the same comments are coming all the time so probably a good time to act on the guests review.
The hotel is a little way out of most of the nearby towns and a taxi fare costs £25 one way!
We liked the area and would like to go back and explore some of the other towns nearby but will probably not stay at this hotel, we think others will be better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rakeevil
Whitby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed at the Ramada in August, 2013. We were guests at a wedding at the Hotel and decided to make a little holiday of it and stayed for 3 nights. The hotel is in a lovely, quiet area. The staff are so friendly and the customer service is excellent. The hotel reception and bar is quite modern and contemporary so I was surprised to find that our family room was dated with basic amenities. We did however have a very comfortable stay.

We ate from the bar menu one night and were very pleased with what we had (lasagne). There was no children's menu, which I found strange. My husband and I ended up bulking our meal out with sides to share with our two year old. I also thought that the location was not very child friendly with it being on such a busy main road. The breakfast was very nice and in with the price, which I thought was good value for money overall. The drinks are a bit expensive!

The wedding day was perfect. The staff were spot on and the food was excellent. Everything seemed to run smoothly. The evening reception room was beautifully decorated and the disco was good. A lovely wedding venue.

I would recommend a visit to the nearby Chessington World of Adventures.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leatherhead
De Vere Horsley Estate
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Manor House Hotel & Spa
#11 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Thatchers Hotel? Share your experiences!