“Business people: avoid”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Leatherhead
Nottingham, England
“Business people: avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at this Ramada on a business trip, and have two serious complaints:

1. There was no hot water in my room. No hot water? Are you kidding me? Upon mentioning this at checkout, reception said I simply needed to inform them and they would fixed it. As a business traveller I expect hot water as standard, and with a late arrival and early departure the next morning, I didn't have time to hang around to wait for them to get things fixed. Epic fail.

2. I booked a taxi through hotel reception for a 4.4 mile trip... and was aghast to discover the fee was £35. The hotel uses a taxi firm that has a minimum charge. I should have been informed of this fee when making the booking, but wasn't. The taxi driver suggested I complain to the hotel. I thought it more appropriate to complain publicly here.

This hotel may be cheap, but trust me it is no bargain.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Marc11976, Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Shallam,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for what reads as a very disappointing stay, regarding the hot water, and the taxi charge that you experienced.

We have a very effective and reliable heating system for both our hot water and central heating system, which can more than sustain the heavy demands during the peak usage times. However if there is a lack of hot water due to the boilers then a simple activation of the “reset” button, by a member of my team, in our boiler room, will ensure that there is hot water available within 10 to 20 minutes. However I do understand your frustration and have instructed my maintenance team to service our boiler system.

I too was extremely shocked to hear of the taxi charge for your trip of 4.4 miles. I will say that the taxi fares are higher in this area, however not to that degree. The taxi firms that we personally use and promote do not have a standard minimum charge. The only minimum charge is the set rate of £50.00 (time appropriate) to either Gatwick or Heathrow airports which are 23 miles and 25 miles away respectively.

In relation to not being informed of this fee when making the booking, I have discussed the matter at length with my Front of House Manager and the situation has been addressed with my Reception, Sales and Nights team

Again, I am sorry that you had cause to complain about your stay with us, I would be delighted if you will return and give us a second chance to offer you the high quality of welcome, care and hospitality that we try very hard to accomplish at the Ramada Guildford Hotel.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Burley in Wharfedale, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Firstly the hotel is in a great area...very handy which is probably why you're considering staying there. Unfortunately the place is VERY tired and in desperate need of a serious refurbishment. The staff are friendly and helpful.

The bedroom was clean but very old and out dated. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were clean as were the towels.

No-one ate in the restaurant the night I was staying...however the bar was full of guys eating and watching the football. The food is 'ok' but needs to also be upgraded as it's little better than a road side cafe (the bar food).

Breakfast was a buffet and was fine, but the restaurant is dark wood and very depressing.

Overall I'd look somewhere else if you can but if you have to stay just manage your expectations and you'll be fine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Marc11976, Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear TJBrooke,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your very honest and constructive comments, regarding your stay with us.

As you stated the hotel is in an exceptional setting on the rolling Surrey Hills and is just 10 minutes from the M25 and 5 minutes’ drive from Horsley train station, making it an ideal base to travel into London or explore the many local historical interests of Surrey and Sussex.

Your valued observations relating to refurbishment, the bar food and the restaurant, have been noted, and although we try to accommodate for the various preferences of all our guests, these key points will be highlighted when we carry out our customer satisfaction review. Although I do have to say that the dark wood in the restaurant, that gives it a Tudor style signature has frequently been positively highlighted by our guests. However I shall look into the lighting, in terms of logistical positioning and range.

I am glad that you found the staff very friendly and helpful, and it will be a pleasure to relay the sentiments to them.

Once again I thank you for your response and although you have said to look somewhere else, I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, and to give us a second chance to offer you the high quality of welcome, care and hospitality that we try very hard to accomplish at the Ramada Guildford Hotel.

essex, england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

we were here for one night due to a booking problem with our original hotel. sadly this place is just a glorified T.lodge. :(
The first room they showed us (101) was not fit for a homeless person let alone someone paying for 4* and the receptionist who was very pleasant showed us 2 more before we finally agreed on a room that was acceptable. be careful of the free wifi, its not free in your room, it costs £19.99 for an internet & tv package. its only free in the lounge bar area.
the usual tea, coffee, milk and toiletries in room and bath/hand towels.. thin duvets, thinner pillows, extremely hard beds.
the staff were lovely. helpful, chatty and polite especially in the restaurant where we had breakfast the following morning, which i must say was a pleasant surprise after the room problems. lots of cereals, fruit, yoghurts, pleanty of freshly brewed tea/coffee and a lovely cooked breakfast. there were pastries & croissants but when i went to ask for some as the dish was empty the waitress was a little "put out" and said they could make more if i really wanted them too! talk about make you feel uncomfortable. So toast it was then..............actually no, as when i went to put it in one of those toaster conveyer belts, there were 2 big slices with large mould spots in the centre of the bread, not impressed seeing as this basket of bread had just been brought out, fresh!
think its safe to say that i wont be returning and would'nt recommend. which is sad really as the setting, gardens and people are all very lovely.

Room Tip: stay away from the old side of the building, only accept the new rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Marc11976, Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear social-butterflies,

I was sorry to read of your disappointment during your stay with us and that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. I apologise that this experience has been anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations, before, during and after your stay with us.

The Hotel has 87 bedrooms of which about 30 of them varying in shape, size and décor. It was a shame that you were not satisfied with the first few rooms that you were shown, but that you agreed to a room that was acceptable for yourselves.

The Wifi in your bedroom that you commented on, costing £19.99 is for the multimedia package which includes internet, the latest Blockbuster Movies, music and games, and is for a 24hour period from the moment you activate that choice. There is also just internet access available and this is charged at a lower rate with a choice of by the hour or for 12 and 24 hours. Alternatively as you stated, we offer our guests free Wifi in our Club Bar and Lounge.

I was naturally extremely concerned regarding the mould spots that you found on the bread. After investigating this with the waitress concerned, she informed me that the firstly, the bread was not out of date and she immediately checked the rest of the bread stock and threw away any others that were affected. I am sorry that firstly the bread was allowed to be served and secondly that the waitress made you feel uncomfortable. Both points have now been addressed.

I am happy hear that you found the staff lovely, helpful, chatty and polite, and your kind comments about them and hotel’s setting and gardens will be shared with my team.

Your valued observations relating to the duvet, pillow and beds, have been noted, and although we try to accommodate for the various preferences of our guests, these key points will be highlighted when we carry out our customer satisfaction review.

Again, I am sorry that you had cause to complain about your stay with us and although you have stated that you will not be returning, I would be delighted if you will return and give us a second chance to offer you the high quality of welcome, care and hospitality that we try very hard to accomplish at the Ramada Guildford Hotel.

Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Leatherhead hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were placed in the cottage room 703. The room was freezing and the duvet supplied was about 1mm thick like an old blanket. The mattress was perilously close to bursting a spring at any time. More prison ward dormitory than £85 a night hotel room. I would expect a normal size duvet as a basic standard. Mentioning this at check out we were told that we had to call housekeeping to check the heating at the time. Having arrived late after a function we were in no fit state to do so. Dirty walls, peeling plaster from water leak above, sunken seats in restaurant and generally outdated. Its no 4* hotel. The staff are pleasant and make the effort to jolly the place up.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Marc11976, Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear hs4089,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for what reads as a very disappointing stay, regarding the bedroom, and the restaurant chairs. Firstly I have spoken with both my housekeeping and maintenance team as to why the walls were dirty and peeling plaster present. These issues have now been addressed

All bedrooms have a self-controlled radiator TVR which is set at level 2 prior to the guest arriving, the guest can then select what temperature they wish for the room, and we have an excellent central heating system which rapidly heats up the room upon request.

I was sorry to read about your dissatisfaction in relation to the duvet and the mattress. Our bedrooms offer a range of bed sizes, single, double, queen and twin adaptable. Unfortunately on this occasion the incorrect size duvet was used, and although we try to accommodate for the various preferences of our guests, we do have blankets available upon request. Please be assured that these key points will be highlighted when we carry out our customer satisfaction review.

I am glad that you found the staff pleasant, as they have a real passion and drive to deliver the best possible service we can provide.

manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

When we arrived (after a 4 hour journey), we got told there were no family rooms available, even though we'd booked one a month before. They then miraculously found one for us.
The bathroom was very dated with tiles missing and broken tiles. Bits were missing such as the complimentary bathroom shampoo's etc and no biscuits. Wifi was unavailable too.
The breakfast staff were rude, saying we weren't all inclusive, even though we had paid for breakfast when booking the room. At 9:50am, (breakfast supposed to be served until 10am), the hot breakfast was cleared away with staff telling customers who arrived after that, that the chef wasn't cooking any more. They didn't miss much, it was luke warm and looked like it had been left out for days anyway.
We were also woken up on Sunday asking if we were leaving that day and at what time? Check our computer and before 12 as you state.
There is no way this is a 4 star hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Marc11976, Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear nicola0711,

We have 10 family bedrooms constantly available, and have another 3 bedrooms that we can adapt to family bedrooms if needed. However this does not cover up the fact that there wasn’t a family bedroom ready for you and I have ensured that both my reservations and reception teams pick up on these guests’ requirements and in good time, so that these issues do not happen in the future. I have also spoken to the team regarding calling you early on Sunday and waking you up and this courtesy call procedure is to be exercised until after the designated check out time.

I have instructed my in house maintenance team to ensure that all bedrooms are kept up to the quality standards that we constantly aspire to, in relation to your comments regarding the bathroom tiles.

Housekeeping have been addressed, regarding the complimentary items that were missing from your room, however we as a Hotel do not supply complimentary biscuits.

Internet access in the bedrooms can be received via a cable from our television units which offer a variety of multimedia packages. Wifi in the bedrooms and in other parts of the hotel can be received using BT Openzone, or we offer our guests free Wifi in our Club Bar and Lounge.

I must say that in the past we have received many compliments concerning our Restaurant and Bar service and offering, however, we appear not to have delivered on this occasion regarding the manner in which my breakfast team handled the situation and the quality of the breakfast that you experienced.

Breakfast is served until 10am on Saturday, Sunday, and Bank holidays, and I have noted your comments about breakfast not being replenished sufficiently after 9.50am I would like to assure you that this is not a standard I work towards and I would like to reiterate that we run a sizable buffet until we close the restaurant, alternatively if we have served the majority of our guests we will revert to a plated English selection ensuring that each guest receives a freshly cooked dish upon placing an order.

Wiltshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel several times during the weekdays. It is a typical business hotel with the usual amenities. The staff are very helpful. Rooms adequate, food average. Lovely location between Guildford and Leatherhead. It was very quite when we were there. The bar food was good and reasonably priced although the service was quite slow and the volume on the television in the bar was a bit loud making conversation rather difficult.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Marc11976, Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear AADick

Thank you for your kind comments. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback regarding the hotel, especially in relation to the helpfulness of the staff, and the standard of the bar food.

I shall endeavour to ensure that we focus on your valid observations concerning the bedrooms and the bar service and take direct action where necessary in order to meet customer satisfaction. It is our standard to have the television on but with the volume on mute. However when there are live major sporting events playing, we will increase the volume, to a satisfactory level, so that those guests who choose to watch can enjoy a more complete experience, and those who do not can still converse in a relaxed manner. I apologise that in this instance the volume was rather high, making conversation difficult and have addressed this matter with my Bar team.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed here several times, as is the hotel of choice for my employer...
Reception is always welcoming and professional...
Rooms are comfortable and clean, shower is excellent, however, the suite could do with replacing as clearly worn.
Bar service is good, however bar staff not always around in the evenings, often had to wait for someone to appear.
Waiting staff are very good, one in particular Richard was charming, had good knowledge of the food and wines available, also kept us entertained between courses, very good service.
In general a nice place to rest for a few days.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear on the first floor overlook the car park, which as the building slopes is quite cl...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Marc11976, Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Claudette G,

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from our guests. Please be assured that your kind words have been shared with all my team, especially Richard whom you have personally highlighted, and I have specially thanked. He has been with us for over ten years and is as you say, charming and entertaining, and is an integral member of the team.

Your observations regarding the suite and the bar staff not always being present in the evenings are duly noted and I will ensure that direct action will be taken where necessary in order to meet customer satisfaction.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at the Ramada Guildford Leatherhead and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon, whether for business purposes or just to rest and relax.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leatherhead
De Vere Horsley Estate
#1 of 4 in Cobham
Woodlands Park Hotel
Woodlands Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Cobham

Been to Thatchers Hotel? Share your experiences!