“Very Matter of Fact” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Leatherhead
Colchester
“Very Matter of Fact”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We checked in about 2030 on 09/04/13. We had difficulty gaining entry as we parked close to the disabled ramp and having hauled our bags to the door, found it to be locked despite the notice stating it was open until 2200.
We walked around he building and found the back entrance. As we entered, we were choked by cigarette smoke from another guest. The receptionist chose to ignore us despite catching sight of us entering and stood up as we approached the desk. She was extremely frosty and matter of fact. I handed her our reservation and she asked for our surname. She advised us that we would have three single beds. I said that this was unacceptable. We were a married couple and an 8 year old child. She said abruptly, "I can't change it. We're full. Wait here and I'll ask the manager if he can come and push two beds together for you." She walked off and returned saying that he would come to our room later. We had been out all day at a theme park and just wanted to sleep so didn't argue. She exchanged no pleasantries whatsoever and didn't even comment on our breakfast e.g. "I see you have breakfast booked. It's from 6.30 until 9.30 and the restaurant is just through there." Nothing.
We got to the room (112) and found that it was part of a two room "suite" with an outer door. Another guest was staying in the other room. Our room was boiling hot, even with the radiator turned off. We couldn't open a window as we were on the ground floor close to the main road.
The decor is dated. The beds are extremely uncomfortable and appear cheap. We rolled two together only to find that when you sat up to read, the base started to roll away from the wall behind you. The detergent is very strong and itchy.
The decor is dated.The furnishings are n need of a revamp.The carpet is frayed. The skirting board is battered and the walls marked and chipped. The bathroom is adequate but institutional in feel.
We got to sleep about 2200 but were rudely awakened about 2355 by the sound of doors slamming. Not only from the adjoining room but from all over the block. You can hear every door, every flush, every light switch. Sound-proofing is non-existent. This went on for about 40 minutes with various comings and goings.
Breakfast was very average. A hot lamp display of lukewarm food. The sausages were separated from their skin. They spat water out when cut which was unpleasant. The staff were talking about the hotel only having "slept 40" last night which suggested that the receptionist at check-in had exaggerated when telling us that they were full.
After breakfast, I asked the receptionist for a guest comments card or survey. She gave me a "with compliments" slip. She told me to write my comments on the back and hand it in. I was gobsmacked.
In conclusion, the Ramada Guildford is an uncomfortable hotel with indifferent staff and very average food. I have stayed all over the world in all budgets but have rarely encountered a hotel that goes out of its way to make you feel like you are just a number. This is one such hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FiveStarVegas
Marc11976, Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear FiveStarVegas,

In reply to your personal letter that I received initially, please see my personal letter to yourself in response to your review regarding your stay with us

Yours faithfully

Puran Barr
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed on a business trip. Food awful. Frozen chips not hand cut. Steak tough and overdone. Cold restaurant. Over priced meal and drinks. Returned Irish coffees as cold with no real apology and tried to make out all was ok. Staff need customer care training! Rooms vv cold. Will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2013
Marc11976, Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear ManchesterSpeedy

I was sorry to read of your disappointment during your stay with us and that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. I apologise that this experience has been anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations, before, during and after your stay with us.

I must say that in the past we have received many compliments concerning our Restaurant and Bar service and offering, however, we appear not to have delivered on this occasion regarding the quality and the condition of the steak, the chips and the manner in which the two Irish coffees situation was handled. Having discussed the matter at length with my Restaurant & Bar Manager and my Head Chef, your comments will form the basis of focused re-training on customer care and service, environment awareness, and product quality for my Restaurant, Bar and Kitchen team.

Again, I am sorry that you had cause to complain about your stay with us and although you have stated that you will not be returning, I would be delighted if you will return and give us a second chance to offer you the high quality of welcome, care and hospitality that we try very hard to accomplish at the Ramada Guildford Hotel.

Yours faithfully

Puran Barr
Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Leatherhead hotels

Hertfordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel for a weekends over the past few years and have always been very impressed with everything however this time it was well below expectation. Arrived in the freezing cold/snow and the room was very cold, heating hadn't been put on, I understand leaving it off when no-one is due to stay but not otherwise! Unpacked everything then later found the bathroom heated towel rail wouldn't work but rather than re-pack and move decided to 'tough' it out!
Bed was comfy but cobwebs all over the ceiling.
Food has always been excellent however this time it was dreadful, starter was good however the mains weren't, dried up salmon, half cooked potatoes, turkey had no substance and wouldn't even stay on the fork. They also ran out of cups for after dinner coffee, 3 cups for a table of 8!!
I found breakfast to be good!
On checkout they tried to charge us £17 for drinks which we never had!
All in all, very disappointing and definitely did not live up to previous years!

Room Tip: Check all the heating is functional before unpacking.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarona
Marc11976, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Sarona,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for what reads as a very disappointing stay, I am sorry that on this occasion there were so many unacceptable issues. Firstly I have spoken with my housekeeping team as to why there were cobwebs above the bed, as General Manager my first priority is the cleanliness of the hotel and I will not tolerate such reports.

All bedrooms have a self-controlled radiator TVR which is set at level 2 prior to the guest arriving, the guest can then select what temperature they wish for the room, we have an excellent central heating system which rapidly heats up the room upon request. I do agree that maybe on very cold days level two maybe two low and I will review this procedure.

I sorry to read about your poor dining experience, I must assure you that this is very unusual as my kitchen brigade are accustomed to delivering a first class quality of cuisine and it is highly uncommon to read such feedback. I was pleased to read that breakfast was good.

I certainly hope that following excellent experiences in the past you will give us another try as I am confident to say that this time around was just a poor snapshot in what is a superb product.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel over the weekend as I had a party to attend not to far from the hotel. When I arrive I wasn't greeted straight away as the hotel staff were to busy chatting to someone else. I think they could have at least told me they would have been with me Shortly. Once in my room I was surprised at how spacious the room was but how badly they had used the room size. The room was so cold I had to put the heating on full heat for a couple of hours to even warn up. I noticed the taps in bathroom were either boiling hot or freezing cold. The bathroom was fairly modern but with a very basic shower and only one towel! I ordered room service which was nice but not worth the money I paid for it. The next morning I went for breakfast which finished at 10. I got there at 9.30 which I understand is late but there was barley any food left for me to eat and no drinks left. Over all I was disappointed with this hotel and would have rather of stayed at a holiday inn.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Amylou3
Dear Amylou3,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for your disappointing stay, I sorry that on this occasion we failed to deliver an acceptable standard. I note from your response you stayed with us back in April 2012 and I am confident to say that the hotel has come a long way over the past 12 months and I sure we will be able to deliver you a better experience next time around.

I have noted your comments about breakfast not being replenished sufficiently after 9.30am I would like to assure you that this is not a standard I work towards and I would like to reiterate that we run a sizable buffet until we close the restaurant, alternatively if we have served the majority of our guests we will revert to a plated English selection ensuring that each guest receives a freshly cooked dish upon placing an order.

I do hope you will give us another try when you are next in the Guildford/Leatherhead location whereby I can certainly assure you a better stay.

Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

It is difficult to fault this hotel really.

Very clean and welcoming communal areas The hotel rooms were clean and very comfortable - a good standard compared to other Ramada's stayed at.

There is also plenty of car parking too, which is a bonus.

Breakfast was good and there was a decent selection. I didn't eat at the hotel in the evening, instead opting for a pub which was 2 mins walk away. The pub did excellent meals at really reasonable prices and I would recommend this just as highly as the hotel.

The only possible negative is the fact that it is in the middle of nowhere and is a fair drive away from the motorways - but if that is not a problem then I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear TONE09,

Great to read your recent feedback, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay in Horsley. The hotel is just 10 minutes from the M25 and 5 minutes’ drive from Horsley training station making it an ideal base to travel into London or explore the many local historical interests of Surrey and Sussex. The public house across the road offers some fantastic menu options however next time you stay with us please try Thatchers Restaurant as I am sure you will have an enjoyable meal.

I hope you had a safe journey home and hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed as part of a business trip mid week. Very rustic, old English feel to the hotel with all the modern touches you would expect. Room clean and well presented, ensuite a little tired but adequate. Took advantage of the 'meal deal' £18 for three courses, quite limited choice but food very nice.
Always worth haggling on price as first quoted was £119 but dropped to £80 (B&B) when challenged. Must have called at the right time!
Would certainly recommend and stay again. :-)

• Stayed March 2013
Dear DaveyGriff,

Thank you for your recent feedback, great to read you had an enjoyable stay with us. Between Jan & March it is a good time to find some excellent rates at the hotel. I certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just returned from this pretty property and were really pleased with it overall. Super-clean with a large, efficient room and a bigger bed than we'd thought (we booked a double and got a queen, which was great as well as comfortable); wonderful heated towel racks in the bathroom and very fast service if you called the front desk for anything at all. A friendly, functional hotel and good food and drinks from the lounge. One caveat is spotty internet service. The attached restaurant, Thatchers, was pretty good but way overpriced, especially for breakfast, which took away one star, but the hotel itself is a good solid value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Marc11976, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear bc618,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience on Trip Advisor, it is great to read you had a good stay and the found the hotel to be efficient and welcoming. I note your comments on Internet, this is currently a project I’m working on and I understand your frustrations: although our system is reasonably new with the growth of tablets and mobile devises the system can struggle to accommodate a speedy response during busier times; rest assured this issue will be addressed before too long.

I note your comments about the price of breakfast, next time you visit book a bed & breakfast rate, this allows you to upgrade to a hearty Full English & Continental selection for just £10 per person.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Marc Solarz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leatherhead
De Vere Horsley Estate
#1 of 4 in Cobham
Barnett Hill Hotel
Barnett Hill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wonersh

Been to Thatchers Hotel? Share your experiences!