“Disappointing!”
Review of Thatchers Hotel

Thatchers Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Leatherhead
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel for a weekends over the past few years and have always been very impressed with everything however this time it was well below expectation. Arrived in the freezing cold/snow and the room was very cold, heating hadn't been put on, I understand leaving it off when no-one is due to stay but not otherwise! Unpacked everything then later found the bathroom heated towel rail wouldn't work but rather than re-pack and move decided to 'tough' it out!
Bed was comfy but cobwebs all over the ceiling.
Food has always been excellent however this time it was dreadful, starter was good however the mains weren't, dried up salmon, half cooked potatoes, turkey had no substance and wouldn't even stay on the fork. They also ran out of cups for after dinner coffee, 3 cups for a table of 8!!
I found breakfast to be good!
On checkout they tried to charge us £17 for drinks which we never had!
All in all, very disappointing and definitely did not live up to previous years!

Room Tip: Check all the heating is functional before unpacking.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sarona
Marc11976, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Sarona,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for what reads as a very disappointing stay, I am sorry that on this occasion there were so many unacceptable issues. Firstly I have spoken with my housekeeping team as to why there were cobwebs above the bed, as General Manager my first priority is the cleanliness of the hotel and I will not tolerate such reports.

All bedrooms have a self-controlled radiator TVR which is set at level 2 prior to the guest arriving, the guest can then select what temperature they wish for the room, we have an excellent central heating system which rapidly heats up the room upon request. I do agree that maybe on very cold days level two maybe two low and I will review this procedure.

I sorry to read about your poor dining experience, I must assure you that this is very unusual as my kitchen brigade are accustomed to delivering a first class quality of cuisine and it is highly uncommon to read such feedback. I was pleased to read that breakfast was good.

I certainly hope that following excellent experiences in the past you will give us another try as I am confident to say that this time around was just a poor snapshot in what is a superb product.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel over the weekend as I had a party to attend not to far from the hotel. When I arrive I wasn't greeted straight away as the hotel staff were to busy chatting to someone else. I think they could have at least told me they would have been with me Shortly. Once in my room I was surprised at how spacious the room was but how badly they had used the room size. The room was so cold I had to put the heating on full heat for a couple of hours to even warn up. I noticed the taps in bathroom were either boiling hot or freezing cold. The bathroom was fairly modern but with a very basic shower and only one towel! I ordered room service which was nice but not worth the money I paid for it. The next morning I went for breakfast which finished at 10. I got there at 9.30 which I understand is late but there was barley any food left for me to eat and no drinks left. Over all I was disappointed with this hotel and would have rather of stayed at a holiday inn.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Amylou3

Dear Amylou3,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for your disappointing stay, I sorry that on this occasion we failed to deliver an acceptable standard. I note from your response you stayed with us back in April 2012 and I am confident to say that the hotel has come a long way over the past 12 months and I sure we will be able to deliver you a better experience next time around.

I have noted your comments about breakfast not being replenished sufficiently after 9.30am I would like to assure you that this is not a standard I work towards and I would like to reiterate that we run a sizable buffet until we close the restaurant, alternatively if we have served the majority of our guests we will revert to a plated English selection ensuring that each guest receives a freshly cooked dish upon placing an order.

I do hope you will give us another try when you are next in the Guildford/Leatherhead location whereby I can certainly assure you a better stay.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

It is difficult to fault this hotel really.

Very clean and welcoming communal areas The hotel rooms were clean and very comfortable - a good standard compared to other Ramada's stayed at.

There is also plenty of car parking too, which is a bonus.

Breakfast was good and there was a decent selection. I didn't eat at the hotel in the evening, instead opting for a pub which was 2 mins walk away. The pub did excellent meals at really reasonable prices and I would recommend this just as highly as the hotel.

The only possible negative is the fact that it is in the middle of nowhere and is a fair drive away from the motorways - but if that is not a problem then I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Dear TONE09,

Great to read your recent feedback, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay in Horsley. The hotel is just 10 minutes from the M25 and 5 minutes’ drive from Horsley training station making it an ideal base to travel into London or explore the many local historical interests of Surrey and Sussex. The public house across the road offers some fantastic menu options however next time you stay with us please try Thatchers Restaurant as I am sure you will have an enjoyable meal.

I hope you had a safe journey home and hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed as part of a business trip mid week. Very rustic, old English feel to the hotel with all the modern touches you would expect. Room clean and well presented, ensuite a little tired but adequate. Took advantage of the 'meal deal' £18 for three courses, quite limited choice but food very nice.
Always worth haggling on price as first quoted was £119 but dropped to £80 (B&B) when challenged. Must have called at the right time!
Would certainly recommend and stay again. :-)

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear DaveyGriff,

Thank you for your recent feedback, great to read you had an enjoyable stay with us. Between Jan & March it is a good time to find some excellent rates at the hotel. I certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just returned from this pretty property and were really pleased with it overall. Super-clean with a large, efficient room and a bigger bed than we'd thought (we booked a double and got a queen, which was great as well as comfortable); wonderful heated towel racks in the bathroom and very fast service if you called the front desk for anything at all. A friendly, functional hotel and good food and drinks from the lounge. One caveat is spotty internet service. The attached restaurant, Thatchers, was pretty good but way overpriced, especially for breakfast, which took away one star, but the hotel itself is a good solid value.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Marc11976, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear bc618,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience on Trip Advisor, it is great to read you had a good stay and the found the hotel to be efficient and welcoming. I note your comments on Internet, this is currently a project I’m working on and I understand your frustrations: although our system is reasonably new with the growth of tablets and mobile devises the system can struggle to accommodate a speedy response during busier times; rest assured this issue will be addressed before too long.

I note your comments about the price of breakfast, next time you visit book a bed & breakfast rate, this allows you to upgrade to a hearty Full English & Continental selection for just £10 per person.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

First, the taxi driver couldn’t find it. We phoned the hotel and gave us the postal code for a nearby pub. When I got to the hotel, it looked great from the outside with beautiful settings, that’s a definite plus. The rooms were just rooms, nothing special for the price paid. The internet service was spotty and slow. Food was OK at best, but the real gem is the pub across the street. We spend most of our time there for dinners’

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Dear BalaShark,

I thank you for taking the time to update your Trip Advisor account following your stay with us in June 2012. Unfortunately the hotel seems to suffer with certain GPS systems; this has been reported to various channels with limited success. The hotel is set in a beautiful corner of the country and makes an excellent location to explore Surrey and the surrounding area. I certainly hope you will give us another go in the near future where I am sure you will see a transition from Good to Great.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Myself and my partner just got back from a nights stay at the Ramada Guilford after finding a fabulous deal on Groupon including breakfast and internet.

The hotel, with the help of Satnav, was extremley easy to find and located in leafy and picturesque East Horsley near Bookham. The grounds of the hotel were lovely, it looked more like a manor house although the carpark could have been bigger.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was extremley clean and well kept and the bar area was also very welcoming and warm.

Breakfast the next day was slightly disappointing as being a vegetarian, there were no meat free options in the cooked breakfast. I did ask and the staff offered to cook me an omelette but I didnt feel this was an equal alternative, but I managed with toast, eggs, mushrooms. There was also a lot of choice in cereals and pastries.

There isnt an awful lot around the area to eat within walking distance, but 1 5 minute drive away there was a fabulous Italian restaurant called La Meradiana which was gorgeous. Pricey though!

Overall this was a lovely weekend away and I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lolstar6
Marc11976, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear lolstar6,

Thank you very much for your extremely warm feedback, I am delighted you and your partner enjoyed your weekend break with us. I also thank you for highlighting excellent comments about the bedroom and the quality of service you received from my team.

I note your comments about the lack of breakfast alternatives for vegetarians, I take this point extremely seriously as I appreciate how important it is to cater for all diets. I was surprised to see that my team only offered you an Omelette as an alternative as we normally have vegetarian sausages available.

I certainly hope you will come back in the not too distant future, on your next visit I highly recommend you try our Thatchers Restaurant which gives equally as good a menu as the local Italian at a more reasonable price.

Marc Solarz

Also consider these accommodations in or near Leatherhead
De Vere Horsley Estate
Hilton Cobham
Hilton Cobham
#3 of 4 in Cobham
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Woking

Been to Thatchers Hotel? Share your experiences!