“Afternoon Tea - lovely!”
Review of Thatchers Hotel

Thatchers Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Leatherhead
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is not a review of a stay at the Ramada but of an afternoon there. My mum & I have just enjoyed our third annual 'Afternoon Tea' at this Ramada and, once again, thoroughly enjoyed it. We use the Daily Mail vouchers (collect 3 vouchers & Afternoon Tea is £10 for 2 people) and feel that the value for money is brilliant. The 'official' time for Afternoon Tea using the vouchers is 2pm - 5pm but when we asked if we could come earlier at noon it was not a problem. On all 3 visits we have found the staff to be extremely efficient, very welcoming and helpful. The food & drink has been generous and delicious and we have been lucky enough to pick a sunny day each time and have been able to partake of our sandwiches, cakes and scones in the lovely garden. On our most recent visit this week we were asked if we'd like another pot of tea afterwards and we accepted assuming that we would pay extra for it but no, the bill was still only £10 - VERY impressed and looking forward to next year's visit!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SurreyLindy_loo
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Dear SurreyLindy_loo,

Thank you for sharing feedback following your recent afternoon tea experience it is great to read how much you enjoyed our service and product. Located on the edge of the North Downs we have beautiful tranquil gardens which make the perfect destination to enjoy a traditional afternoon tea experience.

I personally very much look forward to welcoming back to the hotel next year and hope you get a fourth consecutive year for sunny afternoons.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

we stayed here just for 1 night as we where having a day away, and it was fantastic would stay again any time, we didnt try the food or bar so carnt comment there but the room had plenty of space and was well kept. shower was great and had loads of preasure, The woman on check in when we arrived carnt remember her name but she had dark red hair was very helpful and happy even helped us with directions for where we where going to pick up a car the next day and where local shops and things where.
would fully recomend to anybody.

Room Tip: upgrade room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Dear Wayne898,

Great to read you had a good stay with us, thank you for taking the time to share this information with the Trip Advisor community. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future where by I strongly recommend you try our restaurant and bar for some great home cooked food.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

A taster meal for a happy couple planning a wedding in the Hotel.

Ushered to a table in a cranny almost removed from the restaurant the starter was fair, the sweet was good . However, the main course was of such a very dissapointingly indifferent quality and presentation as to give great concern as to the suitability of the Hotel as a venue for the wedding and reception ! Following complaint a reluctant offer of a further tasting was made...at a cost of only £25.00 per head !

It was almost as if they were a nuisance ! Certainly the couple came away far from feeling special ! The experience was a far cry from other reports.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Peter L
Marc11976, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Dear Peter L,

I thank you for highlighting these concerns in advance of the wedding; therefore allowing us the opportunity to urgently address the situation. My colleague Lizzie has arranged for a second menu tasting with the bridal party: in addition Clinton our new wedding co-ordinator has arranged to meet with Michelle to fine tune logistics for the big day. I will personally join Clinton at this meeting to ensure we can re-build your faith and lay the foundations for what I know will be a first class day.

Weddings are a crucial part of our business and over the years we have built up an excellent local reputation of providing high class home cooked cuisine, personable service and attention to the finest detail. I can assure you that we will provide your daughter and son-in-law to be; with the day of their dreams.

I very much look forward to personally meeting you at the next menu tasting where by I am confident you will enjoy the revised selections Michelle has made. In the meantime if I can offer any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I booked a brilliant deal online for my husband's birthday present which included champagne afternoon tea, bed and breakfast and we were not disappointed, the afternoon tea was very generous and enjoyable, the breakfast was also very good. The location is lovely to visit the surrounding areas, all in all a nice stay

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear Sarah Coronas,

Firstly I would like to pass on a belated happy birthday to your husband.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us. It is great to read your comments about afternoon tea and your perception of our bed & breakfast offering. I very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

Soulless executive room. Bathroom floor had pools of water. TV had restricted volume which was too low, so extra speakers had to be provided. Room was cold with no working central heating, so a fan heater and grubby old blankets were provided. The champagne afternoon tea was the worst we ever had. Dirty milk jug (something unidentifiable stuck to the inside - which the waiter found hilarious) egg or some sort of fish sandwich, plus Madeira cake and 2 scones. Very very poor. Breakfast consisted of food cooked a while earlier as the bacon was hard and the other choices looked decidedly tired. No marmalade. Awful stay.

• Stayed: June 2012

Dear Mrs Davies,

I am extremely disappointed and saddened that your stay with us proved to be such a poor experience. I have shared your comments with my senior team as this is not the level of service and quality I wish to portray.

I have personally spoken with my bar team and a colleague does remember taking your complaint about the condition of the milk jug, the team member in question personally apologises as his laugh has been misunderstood, he smiled at your explanation not the condition of the jug. My Operations manager has followed this incident up with training to the kitchen porters and food service brigade so they are aware of presentation levels for items such as milk jugs.

As much of the hotel is of late 20th century build, the construction holds in heat therefore making it energy efficient to current building regulations: I appreciate we have been experiencing a cool summer however if we maintain the central heating during this period the hotel will become extremely stuffy and humid. On such occasions we have portable heating units available and can supplement our 10.5 tog continental quilts with blankets. In response to your comments I have instructed my head housekeeper to ensure all blankets are dry cleaned with immediate effect.

Breakfast is traditionally one of our strengths; we have received some great feedback over the years. During quieter times my staff are instructed to remove the hot buffet products and offer a plated al a carte hot offering; this avoids situations as you have highlighted. This point has been reiterated to my food service team following these comments.

Your experience with us is far from what I perceive to be acceptable; I have left a message on your answer machine and look forward to be able to personally apologise for the poor stay you had. I hope you had a good journey back to Suffolk.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Perfectly organised from beginning to end the staff at the Ramada are precise and discreet and their attention to detail made our wedding run exactly as we wanted it. We had a wonderful weekend wedding for 60 of our friends and family. We wanted a relaxed, comfortable surroundings with excellent food and lots of personal detail and that's exactly what we got. Our compliments to the kitchen and waiting staff who worked tirelessly all day. The wedding coordinator and toast master both understood what we wanted from our wedding and made it unique to us. We had an exclusive restaurant, garden and even breakfast room in the morning so we didn't disturb the other guests. We'll be back for our anniversary!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Marc11976, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Dear Susie H,

Thank you for taking the time to share the many highlights of your wedding experience on Trip Advisor. Your commentary has overall summed up what I can see was a perfect day; you were also blessed with the best weather of the weekend.

A couple of your guests have echoed your comments in earlier reviews which showcases that a wonderful time was had by all. My colleagues at the hotel are encouraged to read our Trip Advisor reviews and I am sure they will take great personal pride in noting your feedback which is a credit to their efforts and attention to detail.

On behalf of the team we very much look forward to welcoming you back in 2013 to celebrate your paper anniversary. Best wishes to you and Mark for a happy, healthy and prosperous married life together.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We had our wedding here at the end of April, the only let down was the weather, so our guests couldn't enjoy the grounds, but we did manage to have one or two photos outside and on the balconly. Clinton, Lizzy and Carey were all involved in coordinating our wedding, even to the last minute changes, which helped it all to go well, including the Master of Ceremony, Tim who was always close to guide us through out the ceremony. It was a lovely ceremony, the room was perfect for the 56 guests, and the registrars were lovely, not too formal, and able to enjoy the ceremony with a few giggles. The reception and the Wedding Breakfast was enjoyed by all, it was a lovely day from start to finish. Our room was big and spacious, only thing a little too warm at first so had to open all the windows when I was getting ready.
Thank you again to all of the above for ensuring we had a lovely day.

Room Tip: The bridal suite is spacious
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Coupleguildford,

Thank you for taking the time to share these lovely comments reference your wedding at the hotel in April. I am delighted the day was a good; I have personally thanked Clinton, Lizzie, Carey, Tim and Nick (chef) for their contribution to your day; these guys take great pride in ensuring the finer details are administered; allowing you to enjoy the day and saver every moment.

For the past couple of years April has been one of our better months for weather; I sorry this year was an exception to the rule. However I am sure you were able to make the most of having your closest family and friend around to share the magical experience of your wedding.

I personally look forward to welcoming you back next April to celebrate your paper wedding anniversary dinner.

Marc Solarz

Also consider these accommodations in or near Leatherhead
De Vere Horsley Estate
Beaverbrook
Beaverbrook
#2 of 3 in Leatherhead
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel

Been to Thatchers Hotel? Share your experiences!