“Lunch at The Plough was an absolute joy.”
Review of The Plough

The Plough
Ranked #8 of 66 Restaurants in Leatherhead
Cuisines: Contemporary, Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Being strangers to the area, we chose The Plough at Effingham from TripAdvisor. We were greeted with a smile as we arrived and guided to a table in the dining area. Every member of staff we saw had a smile on their face and clearly enjoyed their work. The pub has old-fashioned beams, but they are painted in a silver grey colour which gives a light, airy feel to the place. We ordered a bacon and avocado salad with rocket, and haddock in beer batter. As we waited (a very short time) for the food, a young couple arrived with a child of around 2 or 3. I noticed that the young Antipodean waiter guided them to a table and immediately asked if they would like a high-chair. Later, another diner tried to order well-done calves liver and the waiter pointed out that - while they were happy to cook it in any way the customer ordered - the diner might find that well-done calves liver can be a bit leathery. The guest accepted his advice readily, and as we left I noticed her tucking into a meal that she was clearly enjoying - a lot ! These two incidents typified the care with which the waiters approach their work. Our food was of very good quality and cooked to perfection, and the portions were very generous. The chips were great and my guest sampled one, then helped herself to the majority. I didn't object because - even though I have a reputation as a bit of a trencherman - I struggled to finish the large haddock that sat on my plate. The staff were very attentive throughout (without going over the top) and engaged in conversation with those diners who wanted to, but left alone the ones who didn't - really great waiting. Even the napkins - of white paper - were of the best quality I've seen in ages ! All in all, a great lunch and we will be returning as soon as we can.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is our local. We have been going here for years and seen many changes over the years. A recent refurbishment, refit, new staff and a regularly changing updated meanu and specials board has taken this pub into a new league. Jason Buttery and his team are friendly welcoming and on the ball. A good meal and friendly welcome is guaranteed.

Great food and a great atmosphere. Booking essential on on Thursday and Friday and at weekends. Sunday lunch is an essential. Kids and families are welcome.

Enjoy it.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Not as impressed as in the past. Staff single-purposed - unable to acknowledge/notice us - either waiting at the bar or waiting to be seated.( Have n't been taught the important - I'll be with you in a moment thing ! ) Food OK - Although lunchtime sandwiches ( one of egg and another of salmon ) were served as were - No garnish of any sort whatsoever - somewhat disingenuous at the prices demanded. Other food OK- but not as good as experienced in previous decade or so.
The place claims to have gone up a peg since the re-furb/ paint-job change of owners /landlords etc. New paint and a price mark-up of approaching 50 % with less attentive/professional staff would suggest not yet.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Am glad we reserved a table as we went on a Friday night and at 9pm I don't think there was an empty seat. Decor had been done up since I was last there (some time ago) and the bar/dining area is much lighter now which is an improvement. The Menu was varied with plenty of choice to suit meat and fish eaters. Service was fine although it got off to a slightly slow start. I would definitely return - and before the next decor update is necessary!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I visited The Plough with some friends who were over from Australia. We phoned to check they were open for a late lunch and gladly set on our way for a 2pm arrival.
Not only did we receive a very warm welcome but a highly consistent standard of service throughout with fantastic food. I have never, let me say that again - NEVER had a burger so good - it puts the pub restaurant burger on the map, no question! Others at the table enjoyed their food very much and we left truly delighted. Great service and food at reasonable prices, we will definately be back with other friends.