“More than you expected.”
Review of The Cocoanut

The Cocoanut
Cuisines: Thai, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Cocoanut is a traditional English pub with a twist - serving up some of the best Thai food in Kingston. It's a family-owned affair, promising a warm welcome and a friendly atmosphere in which to enjoy top class food and drink.
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“More than you expected.”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

It's not often you can go into a restaurant and feel like you can 'make yourself at home' which I guess defeats the object of going out for a meal. However, The Cocoanut offers both fantastic service, food, and great experience. As a student, I couldn't imagine a more reasonable priced menu for such delicious food. If you want down to earth staff and excellent service, I suggest the Cocoanut.

• Visited January 2014

• Thai first
Kingston upon Thames, England
“Best place, best people.”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I have never been to somewhere in which there is amazing music being played at a decent volume. The bar staff offer an immaculate service of polite etiquette. I would recommend this place to anyonw whom lives near by and or further. The gorgeous woman behind the bar and the delicios man accompanying her made my time at the coconut, warm and welcoming. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Visited January 2014
“Customers who needs them!”
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Given the high ranking we made a special trip for lunch. From the point of entry we clearly could have been actors in one of those training videos for how not to treat customers. On one level it was funny because the sign above the bar, Be Nice, or Get Out, should have referred to the so surly owner and not the customers! Food reasonable but really not the cuisine to justify the distain with which we were treated. Our local Thai which is similarly priced makes this seem like the caf! However, some training company might find the place useful! Had no beer to serve and didn't give a damn, it's only a pub! Asked about portion sizes to decide what to order and the customer service then escalated to dramatic proportions! She said it's a dinner plate! Still trying to establish some kind of dialogue we discussed tripadvisor. When we suggested that she was on it she said 'am I' 'We are not interested in tripadvisor'. We had clearly hit the end with the situation but a good point in the training video for group discussion towards the learning outcomes for the customer service certificate! Priceless experience for all the wrong reasons but we were nice and needed still to get out!!! Still smiling about the owner a week on :-)

Visited December 2013
5 Thank Roger M
Wally W, Owner at The Cocoanut, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
There's two sides to every story. A customer thought I was being rude. I personally thought he was being rude and in the Cocoanut we do not tolerate rude customers.
London, United Kingdom
“The real hidden gem is the dessert - DIVINE!”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

parking is tight as on a residential road with only 4 spaces

atmosphere absolutely fine was busy when we got there on a Friday, comfy pub with space i,e not cramped in which is nice. the loos are very clean and spacious, there is a good level of decor and cleaniness.

their spice level is generally a higher than normal

food, we ordered one of the tom soups which was delicious with 4 massive prawns in it, very good value. If I was to be a purist I would say the soup needs to be more sour to get the balance perfect but the depth of flavour is all there.

dumplings lovely and homemade, the crab claws give a miss, chicken satay sophisticated flavour on the marinade which makes a fantastic change and delighted to eat, vegetarian spring rolls are good, vegetarian tempura we thoroughly enjoyed but we absolutely love battered courgette, egg fried rice nice and authentic. portions are substantial, we had actually ordered more but the waitress told us the chef thinks we ordered too much for 2 people lol! but took the advice anyway and glad for it as the dessert was worth eating every last drop.

we had the deep fried ice cream which was yummy but DIVINE was the banana fritters, the best fritters I have ever tasted and I am half filippino! the sesame and coconut batter is crispy and sweet, the banana hot mushy banana heaven and the cold coconut ice cream, I am not a big dessert person but I ate every drop I could wrestle off my husband. I would go there just for this dessert.

the service was near on perfect, polite, friendly and efficient.

slightly perplexing was the amount of parsley on each plate, the size of a fist! then orchids on every mound. very pretty but annoying and weird in my opinion and lemonade was a bit flat.

dont like thai food - then at least go for the dessert.

• Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Mouth watering tucker”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

There used to be wonderful Thai food served at the Borough Arms not far from here many years ago that we have sadly missed.....not any more, The Cocoanut Thai food is mouth-wateringly good from their Fish Cakes to their Prik Pao stir fry. We did pick a quiet Tuesday evening but it was fabulous food so the lack of atmosphere was irrelevant, yum,

• Visited October 2013