“Charming, cozy room and exceptionally friendly and helpful staff!”

The White Hart Hotel
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Charming, cozy room and exceptionally friendly and helpful staff!”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I stayed at the White Hart Inn for 4 days last week while our daughter was settling into Kingston University. I chose it because of the reasonable price and great location; 5 minutes from the Hampton Wick station, just across the bridge to all the great shopping and a 20 min walk to her residence hall. When I went back to the states yesterday , it was also just a 5 minute walk to the X26 express bus to Heathrow. I had a very clean, warm, comfortable and quiet room with all the amenities and a well stocked coffee and tea tray with an electric kettle. The Wifi connection was consistent. The pub/restaurant is very charming with a cozy fire and good food and wine selections. The mushroom soup, goat cheese salad, wellington and chicken with sweet potato souffle were some of our favorites. The BEST feature however was the exceptionally helpful staff, especially Ms. Elivia Valentine at the reception. They mapped our walking and bus routes for us, helped us find a church on Sunday morning, recommended shops and restaurants and loaned me an umbrella when mine broke. They made us feel very welcome in England and our stay much more enjoyable. I will recommend it highly to friends and family visiting London. Linda H.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
WHHOTELMANAGER, General Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Linda, this is a beautiful review and it is lovely to see how appreciative you are to the staff who assited you throughout your stay. I'm glad to read that the hotel ticked all of the boxes regarding your requirements for staying in Kingston and I sincerely hope you return to us when visiting your daughter once again.

Chris Kerr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This modest restaurant just off the KIngston-Upon-Thames roundabout is part of a hotel but open to non-residents. The food is good value and high quality. The veggie option was of course limited but at least it offered an alternative to the dreaded risotto!

The Goats Cheese, Spinach and Leek Wellington hardly sounded enticing but in fact was tasty, and included a well-presented pastry parcel with white wine sauce.

A good wine list, but don't miss the excellent Merlot wine which was exceptional, full-bodied and particularly smooth.

Puddings were limited but again well presented and really tasty.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
WHHOTELMANAGER, General Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
It is great to see that more and more people are reviewing their dining experiences here as users of the restaurant soley. Thank you for also taking the time to do this. I am glad to read that the wellington was a well received vegetarian option, this is a dish that I have personally tried and although I am not a vegetarian myself I often reccommend this as a main course option. I hope we can see you back at the hotel again soon.

Kingston upon Thames
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I thought it would be nice on Christmas day to take my family to The White Hart for lunch as it was available, the reservation was booked about 9 weeks in advance. The menue was excellent the sevice was superb this was a real treat. The chef Arek and his staff provided us with a meal to remember, Mokica Karis Hudson Darsang and Rob provided wonderful service and created a lovely atmosphere. Also a mention to the manager Chris for all the arrangements.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Denis L
Dear Denis L, I note this is the second review you have left regarding your dining experiences. It is fantastic to hear that we have met all expectations once again. You would have been aware that this was the first time we have offered Christmas Lunch, this has been well received all round and I am delighted to hear that you have such confidence in this establishment that you would bring your family along for such an important event as Christmas Lunch.

On behalf of the team I would like to say that we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Chose this Hotel for a short break from 28th to 30th December 2013 based on it's location, and were very impressed as this is a short walk from Kingston (just over the bridge) and 5 minutes from Hampton Wick station with a simple route into Central London (change at vauxhall for underground system).

Although this is based just off a mini roundabout on a busy road most of the rooms are based at the back of the Hotel so not disturbed by any traffic noise.

Breakfasts were great with a good choice of food, and a bonus was they were freshly cooked unlike the majority of Hotels that I've stayed in on business where you get the usual congealed buffet affair.

My only criticism would be we opted for a twin room on the basis that we would gain a bigger bed and it was like sleeping on a big bean bag and way too soft, also room was a bit tired and in need of redecorating.

Staff very attentive and receptionists keen to help even when busy putting the customer first seems to be the norm here.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Babbazooma, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your short stay with us between Christmas and New Year, I am especially delighted to see that you had recognised that "putting the customer first is the norm" this is one of the core beliefs here. Regarding your comments surrounding the room and the bed, I am happy to confirm that we are looking to rennovate the bedrooms on a rolling basis, during which time we are swapping the standard double beds for King size. You would therefore no longer need to opt for a twin room in order to gain a larger bed.

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Excellent Hotel. Stayed here with my boyfriend for three days, everything about this hotel is five star. I have just booked another visit in May. Well worth the visit if in the area.
The location was excellent and easy to walk into the town.

Room Tip: We stayed in Jane Seymour room it was so romantic.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nothing states that a guest enjoyed their stay more than when a return visit is immediately booked. I thank you for not only taking the time to write on tripadvisor, but also booking to stay with us in May once again. Please contact myself when you are next here so that I can thank you in person.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed here for five nights over Christmas while visiting family in the area. Had three regular rooms. All were warm, cosy and quiet. Parking is very secure. Staff were all very friendly and service was excellent. Really enjoyed the breakfasts. Location is ideal - just a 5 min walk into Kingston town centre, but also a short walk through Bushy Park to Hampton Court and only 5 mins walk to get the train from Hampton Wick into London. Highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tom, I really do appreciate you reviewing your Christmas stay here on Tripadvisor. Christmas is such a special time and it was very important to us to ensure that those guests that stayed with us across the festive period fully enjoyed their stays. I note that you had 3 rooms for the 5 nights, I do hope that all of your party enjoyed the stay just as much as yourself.

Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I booked this as a combined day out at Hampton Court and and a night away as a christmas present for my wife. We stayed in the 'Catherine Parr' suite and have to congratulate the hotel on a number of things.
Firstly the room was fantastic. It was one of 4 'named' 'superior suites' and as well as being spotless and beautifully decorated, it had all the knobs and whistles including a great 4 poster, a huge bathroom and a separate area with a couch and table etc.
We also booked dinner and not only were they both gorgeous but also there was plenty of it and we unfortunately had to decline the desert!
Breakfast was more of the same to a point we had to go walkies for a couple of hours afterwards to burn some of it off!
But the main reason for us giving this 5 out of 5 is the staff!! They were falling over themselves to be friendly, helpful and professional, particularly Charlotte in the bar/restaurant, Kiki and the other lady who had suffered a broken arm (apologies but we didn't get her name!) in reception and the breakfast staff as well.
Other hotels could do well to have a look at Fullers and ALL the staff at the white hart to see how customer service can be done.
Other points, good secure parking, good location for kingston shopping/hampton court palace etc
Thanks again for a truly great one night wonder!! We will be back!

Room Tip: Catherine Parr suite is very nice and went down very well with the female of the species!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samsmob
What a fantastic review, thank you for taking the time to post this. It appears that the staff managed to make your stay an enjoyable one, this is made even better by the fact that you booked the hotel as a Christmas present. Thank you for specifically mentioning the team members which assisted you and enhanced your experience with us. We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston upon Thames
Doubletree by Hilton London Kingston Upon Thames
Doubletree by Hilton London King...
#4 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Holiday Inn London-Kingston South
Warren House
Warren House
#2 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames
Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon T...
#7 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Brook Kingston Lodge Hotel
Brook Kingston Lodge Hotel
#6 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
The Lion Gate Mews​
The Lion Gate Mews​
#1 of 1 in East Molesey

Been to The White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!