“Mexican or Mexicant ?”
Review of El Peyote - CLOSED

El Peyote
Cuisines: Japanese, Korean
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Dolsot Korean Restaurant is happy to be the first Korean Restaurant to open in Kingston. We are mainly based in Myungga Korean Restaurant in Kingly Street, Central London and have been running a Korean Restaurant over 25 years. Hope our experience over the years can satisfy everyone in Kingston Upon Thames.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

On arrival our group of 4 was greeted by a gent who ushered us in through the front door, we mentioned we'd booked a table earlier in the week but that seemed to just be ignored. Our waitress was hilarious !! Not a single English word was understood by her all evening! we had to point at the menu and even then it was a struggle. The menu itself is set out strange, there's no real direction as to what your ordering, is it a starter ? a main ? who knows ? not even them ! My fiancée ordered a simple Diet Coke, this took a little time to explain but eventually the waitress got it, i asked for a cider (as per the menu) but no they didn't serve it! So i was left with no other option but to go all out for the Tropical Non-Alcoholic cocktail. the drinks turned up, my fiancées diet coke was just a normal coke which was in fact flat and my tropical cocktail was small and not very tropical. The ordering of the food was a nightmare, once it turned up it was OK, but very bland, no spices, no sauces, the salads were all old looking and nothing special about them. The food itself turned out to be nice but expensive for what we'd ordered. Also the 'kind gent' who showed us to the table at the start of the evening was pretty rude, he barged but my on 2 occasions and each time he served the table behind us he leant on my finance's seat, which angered her ever so slightly. All in all a very average night, great company but disappointing food. My suggestion is to do what they done, crack open the Old El Paso and just add some more spices. Also they didnt even serve Nachos as a starter with dips !!!!

5  Thank danwot

Reviewed October 13, 2012

This was a Saturday night at about 6.30pm. Four adults and two children.Waitress had a poor grasp of English. This made it difficult to get an explanation of the various dishes. Ordered starters a very simple dish of nachos. This was OK.(Hard to go wrong with this!).
The children had steak tacos which were mainly bulked up with aubergine and courgette??????
The adults ordered fajitas. Slow cooked spiced pork and steak. The pork was a quick fried tough pork chop with no hint of flavour and the steak was tough as old boots. Again bulked up with aubergine and courgette?????? Also the waitress go an order incorrect, which was not surprising.. Bland bland bland............. from a mexican? Coffee was sent back as it was luke warm.. This restaurant needs to taste it's own food occasionally. I would avoid it if you care about quality and flavour.

3  Thank t-cwilliams69
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

We went on a Friday night without a reservation, we were asked to wait 5 minutes at the bar so we ordered a couple of cocktails: virgin mojito for me as driving and a Long Island ice tea, both were very average and after reading previous reviews of this place I could well believe they're out of a packet. After waiting 15 minutes I asked a waitress when our table would be ready, she awkwardly admitted that she'd forgotten us and sat us at a table that had been empty since we walked in.
The place was busy and filling up with some large parties which clearly took priority. I almost walked out whilst waiting for our order to be taken, and now wish I had!
My partner ordered the chicken burrito which was nice although a little burnt. I ordered the rump steak taco with cheese and bacon, however I was given a tiny portion of beef on flat flour tortillas with a side salad, it was so small it looked like a starter, however partly because I'd never had tacos before and didn't know what to expect, and partly because I couldn't flag a waitress down to question it I ate the dish. Afterwards I was still hungry so managed to get the managers attention and queried the dish against my menu choice, he apologised and said that that meal would be free and he'd get me what I'd ordered, which I accepted. He personally delivered my next meal with another apology, however this dish was also wrong - chicken tacos this time!
By this point I'd had enough and asked for the bill, this was the second joke as they'd charged me for an alcohol mojito, and had overcharged by 85p for the Long Island ice tea. The waitress didn't really understand my query with the bill so called the manager back to deal with it, he was clearly fed up with us and could not process the payment quick enough for us to leave.
Overall I left feeling like a hungry nuisance.

3  Thank Ktkitten
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Oh My Word this place was awful!

While there were many aspects of my evening that were unedifying the greatest disappointment was the food. It was, to put it bluntly, a crime on a plate.

The food was accompanied by nothing but the sad abyss of an empty restaurant and a from-the-packet cocktail mix.

I generally agree with the horrendous reviews listed below.

There is half a Beatle in the front of the restaurant, that's cool I suppose but it is a lot to ask someone to sit through just for a view of sawn-off white VW.

I'm not going back.

4  Thank KarateCarrot
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was there with my partner on saturday night and the experience was excellent. fantastic cocktails and the flaming fajitas was excellent...

4  Thank Peter M