“Worst meal ever AVOID this restaurant”
Review of El Peyote - CLOSED

El Peyote
Cuisines: Japanese, Korean
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Dolsot Korean Restaurant is happy to be the first Korean Restaurant to open in Kingston. We are mainly based in Myungga Korean Restaurant in Kingly Street, Central London and have been running a Korean Restaurant over 25 years. Hope our experience over the years can satisfy everyone in Kingston Upon Thames.
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

We went on a Friday night without a reservation, we were asked to wait 5 minutes at the bar so we ordered a couple of cocktails: virgin mojito for me as driving and a Long Island ice tea, both were very average and after reading previous reviews of this place I could well believe they're out of a packet. After waiting 15 minutes I asked a waitress when our table would be ready, she awkwardly admitted that she'd forgotten us and sat us at a table that had been empty since we walked in.
The place was busy and filling up with some large parties which clearly took priority. I almost walked out whilst waiting for our order to be taken, and now wish I had!
My partner ordered the chicken burrito which was nice although a little burnt. I ordered the rump steak taco with cheese and bacon, however I was given a tiny portion of beef on flat flour tortillas with a side salad, it was so small it looked like a starter, however partly because I'd never had tacos before and didn't know what to expect, and partly because I couldn't flag a waitress down to question it I ate the dish. Afterwards I was still hungry so managed to get the managers attention and queried the dish against my menu choice, he apologised and said that that meal would be free and he'd get me what I'd ordered, which I accepted. He personally delivered my next meal with another apology, however this dish was also wrong - chicken tacos this time!
By this point I'd had enough and asked for the bill, this was the second joke as they'd charged me for an alcohol mojito, and had overcharged by 85p for the Long Island ice tea. The waitress didn't really understand my query with the bill so called the manager back to deal with it, he was clearly fed up with us and could not process the payment quick enough for us to leave.
Overall I left feeling like a hungry nuisance.

3  Thank Ktkitten

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Oh My Word this place was awful!

While there were many aspects of my evening that were unedifying the greatest disappointment was the food. It was, to put it bluntly, a crime on a plate.

The food was accompanied by nothing but the sad abyss of an empty restaurant and a from-the-packet cocktail mix.

I generally agree with the horrendous reviews listed below.

There is half a Beatle in the front of the restaurant, that's cool I suppose but it is a lot to ask someone to sit through just for a view of sawn-off white VW.

I'm not going back.

4  Thank KarateCarrot
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was there with my partner on saturday night and the experience was excellent. fantastic cocktails and the flaming fajitas was excellent...

4  Thank Peter M
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was excited to visit El Peyote after reading the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor, so when we were arrived we were surprised to find the restaurant almost completely empty...at 8 o'clock on a Friday night! Perhaps it's a slow one, we thought. We were quickly seated by a friendly waiter and we began looking at the menus.

On the face of it, the menus offer an exciting range of mexican food, so we were looking forward to ordering. We started off by ordering two cocktails. When they arrived both appeared to be made from packet mix. No problems, we thought, but at the price charged it wasn't great.

We then decided to order a starter of nachos and guacamole. When they came out I couldn't believe it. The guacamole was dark brown and slimy, while the nachos were identical to the 27p a bag Tesco's Value type. At this point we thought about leaving, but based on the good reviews we thought the mains would still be good.

Oh how wrong we were. We each ordered Pork Carnitas (slow cooked tender pork) which the menu said was served with 'three plain flour tortillas). A while later the waiter came towards are table and when I saw the plates I was stunned. Each plate had on it one of the Old El Paso crispy shells stuffed (mainly) with Iceburg lettuce, cheap store bought salsa and some rather sad (and in no way slow cooked) pork. It is the first time we have ever stopped a waiter before he's even put the plates down!

We very politely said that this couldn't be our order, as what we had ordered came as three soft corn tortillas. The waiter's response was that we were mistaken. We still had the menus on the table, so we referred to this. His new response: 'This is how we serve them now'. At this point, it was clear that this place was absolutely terrible both in terms of food and attitude so I politely but firmly asked for the bill and paid for the cocktails.

El Peyote seem to have no respect for either the food they serve or their customers. The modus operandi seems to be to buy the cheapest ingredients possible and throw them together. There is absolutely no possible excuse or reason to justify this. They just seem to have decided that they can get away with serving absolutely anything. I really am still in disbelief. This being England, I know there are many people who do not feel comfortable complaining. Unfortunately this company is now trading off taking advantage of that.

6  Thank LWard20
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Went on a Saturday night about 7pm, we did book but when we got there it was quiet, which was nice. Sat next to the window which was also nice.
Had nachos to share for starters, was lovely. Just the right amount of tortillas chips and toppings.
Had chicken fajitas for main, which came out on a sizzling plate sort of thing. Didn't have a distinctive BBQ taste like some people would expect, but that's probably to do with the 'Mediterranean' twist to the restaurant. They were still tasty and the peppers were lovely and fresh. I ate the whole lot! As did the other half. We were stuffed!
But then... the waitress informed us there had been a fresh mango cake baked that day... so we each had that for dessert and oh my goodness.. it was gorgeous! Had that lovely home-made taste and the sauce they drizzled all over it was to die for! Would definitely recommend.
Cocktails were about £5.95 each (well mine one was), and they tasted really fresh, with a nice kick of alcohol of course!
Waitress was lovely, very smiley and helpful. All the staff were actually very happy :)
£60 for starters, 2 mains, 2 desserts, and drinks.. including service charge. Which we thought was pretty reasonable.
Definitely pop in one time :)

2  Thank Pocketsizedtraveller