“Disappointing food, but a nice place to drink”
Review of The Canbury Arms

The Canbury Arms
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a Gastropub serving great homemade food, outstanding wines and superb real ales, service is second to none. Our style is relaxed but professional, we are independent and proud, committed to our community and embracing of all our cutomers.
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I really enjoy the Canbury for a drink, but hadn’t eaten there for over a year. So tried it again a few days back, but frankly, we were quite disappointed. Main gripes were the signature meat pie, which was overwhelmed by the soggy, under-cooked pastry underneath the nice crisp skin (reminiscent of one of those Fray Bentos tinned pies that you can buy for 99p a pop at the local supermarket!).
My partner’s starter was chicken terrine, and forgive me for saying, its taste was reminiscent of those nasty slices of wafer thin chicken we used to stuff in the kids lunch boxes. My hunch is that this is/was bought in, rather than making it in the kitchen from scratch. So, not great, but I still like the place, and will continue drinking there.

CSKingston, Owner at The Canbury Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Thanks for your review. Sorry that the pie and chicken terrine were not to your taste. I can assure you that no dish is 'bought in', EVERYTHING is made from fresh ingredients, in our kitchen, daily. Having never eaten a Fray Bentos pie I can't comment about our pie compared to theirs, but I can say we get the greatest amount of positive feedback about our 'wonderful pie'! I guess it's simply a matter of taste. Will see you again for a drink, maybe we'll tempt you with one of our new £5 bar bites?!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I'm not a regular at the Canbury Arms but I have eaten there about a dozen times over the last few years. I started going a few years back as it was known as a foodie pub and they used to have an exciting menu which differed each day and which was printed on a sheet of A4. There were also a few specials on the board. On the last 2 occasions I've been it seems as if the ownership has changed.. The menu certainly has as it's now a laminated affair which has been the same both times and which doesn't excite at all. In desperation I opted for a burger which in hindsight was not a good decision.. bland, dry meat, oversized dry, hard bun, huge dollop of greasy melted cheese which went hard as it got cold. I left most of it.
Seems like attention to detail has declined too. Whereas specials on the board used to be written with care and an explanation of each dish, this time they were scribbled on the board with no explanation.
Oh, and it was so dark in there that I had to read my paper by candlelight.. Turn the lights up a bit!
The service was very good however.. Bright and cheery waitress and bar staff.
Would be interesting to know if ownership has indeed changed. I won't be going back in a hurry.

CSKingston, Owner at The Canbury Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Thank you for posting a review of the Canbury Arms. I can assure you that we are the same owners! This is our 9th year and Michael and I are in the pub working everyday although not always front of house. We have a fantastic team to look after all our customers, the feedback about service is always extremely good and a reflection of the care and attention they provide. Our menu has remained very similar in content over the years and has evolved into our 'main' menu as it appears today. We have listened to feedback and monitored sales and the dishes that are ever popular appear on the main menu and essentially the weekly 'specials' are on our acclaimed, weekly changing Set Menu. I agree that laminated menus aren't as nice as daily printed ones, we are currently looking into the best way of producing the menu. I am so sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the burger, I will feedback your comments to the kitchen team as we value every customer's feedback. Our best wishes and hope you feel willing to come back once more for a more positive visit.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

The BNO club met up at the Canbury Arms for a drink and bite to eat. The beers on offer are very good... I had the Hog's Back T.E.A which is always brilliant and my friends opted for the Naked Ladies (!) – also a very fine pint they assured me. Bill, a francophile, had a French Merlot which he said was excellent. Not all pubs do drinkable house wines... so this was a pleasant surprise. On to the food... very pleasurable too. My braised lamb shoulder – cut into slices atop a pile of spring greens with sautéd new potatoes and what I think was a red wine jus was almost perfect but a little over-cooked. My friends had the beefburger (medium as requested and NOT cremated), veggie burger and fish and chips. All sound. This is not gourmet fayre but good pub grub and served efficiently and very politely by lovely staff. £23 a head for one main course including drinks and a tip. Recommended.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

This is great example of a fabulous local gastropub. I had the Braised Lamb Shoulder, Spring Greens, Sauté New Potatoes and Jus and my dinner partner had the butternut squash risotto from the specials. Both excellent. My lamb was piled with lamb and could have done with more greens, which is not the worse criticism in the world. We shared a bottle of the delicious NZ Taringi Savvy Blanc. Prices are not cheap, but quality is good and as good as any 'proper' restaurant. They had 2-3 course menus, which offered great value, but we didn't go for that. The ambience is lovely. Buzzy, without being noisy and able to hear each other. Service was excellent. And I always give big thumbs up for the bottle of tap water without being asked.

1  Thank Pandameister
CSKingston, Owner at The Canbury Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Great review! Thanks, we're so pleased you have submitted your feedback it is really helpful for us. We try to keep our prices competitive and our pricing structure is down to the quality of ingredients and products that we offer. I hope that you return again soon and enjoy another good experience at the Canbury.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Have really enjoyed a few meals in here now, including an excellent Sunday Roast. The beers on tap are rotated so there is always something new to try drinks-wise.

This is by no means our local, but we do make the effort to come here as the food is very good!

1  Thank Surbytonian

Thank you for such a great review. We are really delighted to hear that you have made a few special journeys to enjoy our hospitality and have always had good experiences. The standards we set ourselves are very high so it's great news to hear you've had no complaints so far!! Hope there'll be a new beer to try next visit, we got some good ones coming up.