“A recuperative and healthy week”

Grayshott Health Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grayshott
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We booked a 6 night stay on a friends recommendation and we weren't disappointed. To be fair we were upgraded to a junior suite which was a room with a small sitting area and a bath. The other rooms only have showers. The main pros of the place is the wonderful staff, the lovely setting and food that generally contains low carb or low Glycaemic Index (GI) but done in a delicious way. I really don't understand the other reviews re not having the baked potatoes, or small portions. Breakfast and lunch were 3 course buffets each, with toast, jams, marmalade, porridge, fruit including watermelon and eggs anyway you want them- ask the lovely waitress Shaunny - very helpful and nothing is too much trouble. To be honest food was overflowing. The evening meal is a set menu with a few options in each course and has noodles, rice, the odd red meat, duck and pidgeon. Delightful.
This place is not a glitzy spa for hen night or baby shower parties, it's a restorative place to get yourself back together, eat properly and get better. One thing that other reviews haven't said is the wonderful National Trust land called Ludshott Common that's next to the lovely grounds. I d recommend to go on the guided walk each morning before breakfast and then get a map of the common from reception and do the walks yourself at your own pace each morning to build an appetite, and breakfast like a king. The common has a number of benches that are numbered and if you stick to the main path you ll be fine.
The other good thing is the indoor pool and relaxing around the pool, with the use of hydrojet small pool next to it. The treatments were wonderful. It has to be said that a cash injection for maintaining the grounds and indoor furnishings would be good. It would also help to have more things to do in the evening, the films and talks are v good but it would be good to have other distractions like single player piano, or strings, or quizzes for those that what to participate.
We would go back but wouldn't stay less than 4 nights, you need time to relax and get the full benefit of restoration.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Grecophile2011
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear Grecophile2011

Thank you for your very comprehensive and complimentary review.

I am especially delighted that, as it was your first visit, you experienced all that Grayshott has to offer, including the spa facilities, healthy cuisine, spa treatments and the beautiful 47 acres of gardens and grounds, bordering on to 700 acres of Ludshott Common, National Trust common land.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for a second stay.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and found all the staff, without exception, to be very friendly and helpful. The treatments were great and the food was first class and delicious.

However, as previous reviewers have mentioned, the showers were very poor, the indoor pool was dirty with loose tiles on the floor, the outdoor pool was full of leaves and bugs and there are outside areas that have old furniture left as junk, which made the place untidy. This was by the putting ground and the staff areas.

The biggest concern was that the pool cleaning equipment was left under the disabled lift in the indoor pool, which poses a safety issue.

We enjoyed our trip, but if Grayshott spa had a couple more maintenance staff, I'm sure all these things would easily be fixed.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julia I

Dear Julia 1

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your spa treatments and the healthy cuisine and found the staff to be helpful and professional.

During the time that you stayed with us we experienced high winds, causing the trees around the outdoor pool to shed their leaves. It is unfortunate that, whilst the pool is cleaned several times a day, at certain times there will be the occasional leaf in the pool.

Since your stay we have refurbished the indoor pool and surrounding areas, which I hope you will find address the maintenance issues raised in your review.

I hope that we can welcome you back to Grayshott in the near future.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

My friend and I went for a spa day experience at Grayshott. While the grounds and pretty and staff friendly, you cannot escape from the fact that the place needs a serious overhaul and update. Wallpaper is peeling, carpets warn and stained and showers barely even worked as they were so full of limescale. I have visited spa's in the past but as they are a luxury that I look forward to, I expect them to be beautiful, tranquil places not tired looking and in a worse state of upkeep than a travel lodge. I would visit again if they were to inject some cash in to the key areas to improve things but it is certainly not worth the £300 a night that it is if you are to stay overnight there

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Katiemidwife

Dear Katie Midwife

Thank you for your review following your recent spa day.

As Grayshott is an old building I am sure you can appreciate that we have an ongoing programme of redecoration and refurbishment. We are constantly upgrading, decorating, and improving the guestrooms, public areas, swimming pools, heating system, spa software and so on. The wonder of inhabiting a period house like Grayshott is the ongoing investment it needs. We will take your comments into consideration and continue our improvements each day.

I do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back again so you can experience Grayshott in its true light. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me directly should you wish to re visit Grayshott.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I have been to Grayshott several times before. I went with my two adult daughters and must admit we had a great time. Really relaxed and the staff and treatments were good. The staff we so kind and helpful. However,this spa is currently celebrating its 50th anniversary. Well done Grayshott. BUT sadly and very unfortunately for us all it needs a huge injection of cash to update it. The showers are oh so old - they just about work (in the main) and the whole place trades on its history of being a charming place. One cannot exchange charm for just letting it go. My first visit was probably about 30 years ago and I don't think the wallpaper has been changed nor much of the furnishings. I am writing this because I care about Grayshott and I also care about future visitors. The food was very disappointing. I am a very smaller eater and went to bed hungry. They are trying to give us healthy food. In this day and age it is very easy to do this with imagination. It was so 1980s. Is there no other crisp bread than ryvita? Where were the jacket potatoes. Where was my protein - I don't eat shellfish or meat - no other fish available sometimes.

It is like watching an old friend going in to decline!

This please was a gem and still could be - beautiful grounds and a wonderful concept. Come on Grayshott you can do better than this!

Room Tip: I had a single room in the main house. Very basic.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank VeragLondon

Dear VeragLondon

Thank you for your review and for your positive comments about the staff and your spa treatments.

As you will appreciate, Grayshott is an old building; we have an ongoing programme of redecoration and refurbishment and are constantly upgrading, decorating, and improving the guestrooms and public areas. Your comments have been noted and in fact the issues you raised are scheduled to be undertaken shortly.

As a health spa, and in keeping with advice from our Clinical Nutritionist, we have removed potatoes from the lunch menu but have accordingly increased the selection of protein and vegetables in their place. Despite the absence of the baked potatoes I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your buffet.

With reference to your comments about food portion sizes, our food policy centres on portion control, rather than calorie counting. As a health spa we deliberately manage portion size to support guests on their quest for wellbeing. We offer a buffet at breakfast and lunch, and a three course à la Carte dinner in the evening, preceded by pre-dinner nibbles and juice cocktails in Bubbles bar. However, for those who require larger portions, we can accommodate and can provide extra portions, vegetables or bread rolls if requested.

I am always disappointed when we don’t meet our guest’s expectations. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me directly should you wish to re visit Grayshott.

Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

My partner brought me a spa voucher for Christmas at grayshott. It was for myself and my mum and was an overnight stay with all meals, accommodation, a massage each and use of all facilities. The voucher was valid for 6 months and we booked to go in June. To be honest I was not looking forward in going to a health farm as I am more into staying at hotels with spas and not spas with rooms. I am so pleased my partner booked grayshott, on arriving the entrance to the building and gardens were beautiful. The reception staff were friendly, very welcoming and we had a tour of the entire place by a charming young man ( sorry don't know his name). Our twin room was lovely, spotless and had a view over the outdoor swimming pool. The indoor pool and jacuzzi were clean and we had it all to ourselves. The outdoor pool was heated and the weather was warm, so spent time inside and out. The sauna and steam room were immaculate and the lady provided us with water and towels, she even put the showers on for us so the water was hot (think her name was Helga!!, but not sure). She even went to get my mum some coffee as she doesn't drink tea. Was a bit worried about the food as thought it was going to be lettuce, lettuce and more lettuce. How wrong could I be. We had canapés in the bubbles bar at 6pm along with fruit cocktails. Our 3 course meal in the evening was extremely tasty and the beet root risotto was devine, I even had chocolate cheesecake hmmm. Breakfast in the morning was a wide variety from cereals, ham and cheese and the scrambled egg was the best I have had in a long time. We both had a shoulder, neck and back massage, our therapists were both friendly and gave a very good massage. The rooms were very relaxing with lovely thick towels and beautiful music playing. My mum and I went for a relaxing time and we definitely got that. Thank you grayshott for making our stay perfect.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank joanneorchard55

Dear joanneorchard55

Thank you for your review and for kind comments, following your recent stay at Grayshott.

I am delighted that you were pleasantly surprised by your stay and that you and your mother had a relaxing stay with us, having not especially looked forward to staying at a health spa!

I have shared your comments with the staff regarding their friendliness and professionalism and have passed on your compliments to the chef regarding the food during your stay..

I hope to welcome you back to Grayshott in the near future for another relaxing stay.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We booked this thinking it was a hotel , it is a spa first . we were visiting some N.T. property's and as I was recovering from foot surgery stayed at the spa for 3 days what a lovely surprise all the staff want you to make the most of your time so many good things it is amazing the pools in and out heated spa pool , the tea room the bubbles bar for coffee , the beautiful sitting room with papers magazines the cinema room where we watched a film we went for a lecture on breathing properly
the food is healthy but wonderful food , my husband is not a spa person he enjoyed very much we will defiantly go back if you want to get away from the rest of the world this is it you can go for walks golf tennis all so good and a big thank you to all the staff from Marion & John

Room Tip: all good we were happy with ours
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Bonzo484

Thank you for your complimentary review and kind words. I am especially delighted given that it was your first stay at Grayshott.

We pride ourselves on the high quality of service our staff give, whether at Reception, in the Dining room or the Treatment Therapists and I was please to see that you had singled these out in your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

This isn't my first visit and won't be my last. Grayshott spa retains it's old world charm as far as spas go, with peace and quiet, holistic treatments, exercise and excellent food it's priority. No gimmicks and probably not suitable for groups of hen parties. How wonderful to feel at peace and relax without too much noise. The rooms are really good, plenty of space with comfy beds. The treatments I had were perfect for me. Paul, Tamsin and Faye have that special something that made me feel completely at ease and their massages were delivered with magic. The spa also offers tennis and golf if you have any energy after being zonked out from massages.

Room Tip: Some Ground floor rooms have patios with new outdoor furniture. I was upstairs in 57 and all those a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear AngieL

Thank you for your complimentary review.

Many of our guests comment on how relaxed they feel when they arrive at Grayshott, and that they very quickly feel totally removed from the stresses and strains of everyday life, leaving feeling relaxed and rejuvenated at the end of their stay. And I am glad to see that we had a similar effect on yourself.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to experience the unique charm of Grayshott once more. In the meantime, I will forward your kind comments to the therapists in question.

Peter Wood

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grayshott
Frensham Pond Country House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Haslemere
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England
Old Thorns Golf & Country Estate
The Hog's Back Hotel & Spa Farnham

Been to Grayshott Health Spa? Share your experiences!