“3 day re hab break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grayshott
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
“3 day re hab break”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have stayed at Grayshott before but only over night, This time it was a 3 night break, mainly because I needed re hab on my knee, as I sustained a fractured leg. The personal trainer I had been allocated was fantastic and I had achieved what I had hoped to. The disappointing aspects of my stay were, noisy radiator in my room that kept me awake on the first night, I was also woken really early with housekeeping rattling around in a store cupboard which was next to my bedroom. I did get moved the next day to a very nice room. Unfortunately it had no hot water and the room was cold. This was addressed with the water being fixed and a extra heater.

The temperature outside during my stay was very cold and was also cold in various areas of the hotel. The indoor pool was too cold for comfortable swimming and the hydra pool should have been a lot warmer.

The positives are the food very good and healthy and the accommodating pleasant staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Jean,

I am delighted your stay was beneficial to rehabilitate your knee and I wish you well with the ongoing physical exercise. Grayshott is always praised for its caring, knowledgable personal trainers and its healthy cuisine. I will make sure that Ravi in fitness and Chris our chef and their teams know you appreciate their attention. Thanks to your comments we have now fixed the noisy radiator, this is one of the quirks of inhabiting a historical house!

The indoor pool has been adversely affected by a disfunctioning boiler, which is being treated as a top priority at the moment. I am confident the problem will be fixed shortly. I hope you will consider Grayshott again next time you are ready for home-from-home comfort and an expert fitness team.

With kind regards, Peter W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I went to Grayshott for the first time yesterday and sadly I won't be returning. The staff were excellent, we were greeted and welcomed by a charming receptionist and shown round by a knowledgable member of staff. Unfortunately the place is just not up to standard. The day cost £95. The pool and hydro pool were just too cold - there was a very limited choice of classes, possibly 10, 3 of which were simply walking and you had to pay for some of them. The treatments were very expensive and both of us left without having one as we were wary as to what the standard would be judging by the rest of the place. We liked the fact there was free tea, coffee and water available at different places in the venue. Lunch was adequate and we enjoyed the Aquafit class. I have done a lot of these one day spa trips and this is not value for money. If this had been a cheap alternative I would live with it but it wasn't.

2 Thank ljg1997
Dear Ljg1997,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about Grayshott Spa here. Naturally I am delighted to hear that you found the Grayshott staff to be charming, knowledgable and excellent. These qualities extend to the spa, holistic and beauty therapists who are highly trained in a wide variety of treatments. Some therapists have worked for Grayshott for more than 20 years, allowing technique training to be passed down to newer therapists who are growing their skills. I wish we could persuade you to return to benefit from the expertise in the spa as this is Grayshott’s unique point of difference. Perhaps if you do reconsider you will let me know personally so I can make the arrangements.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

For the past 14 years I have been going to Champneys, Tring and decided to try somewhere else for a change. Grayshott is a traditional type of spa with the feel of staying in someone's house which has both advantages and disadvantages:
POSITIVES: *Very good staff throughout who seemed responsive, happy and motivated and did
their best to attend to any queries/changes with a flexible approach which was a
refreshing change.

*The standard of food was fairly good overall and especially good in the evenings.
* Room furnishings were good and bed comfy.
* Nice countryside location with pleasant grounds.
* Cosy, quiet bar for a glass of wine and canapes in the evening.
* Traditonal drawing room with open fire is a relaxing place to sit and read.

NEGATIVES: * The treatments were fine but not exceptional.
* The standard room was in a dated 70's style wing and the heating and hot water
systems need updating.
* Some of the public areas were dated and need smartening up.
* No tea/coffee making facilities in the room.
* Exterior areas around and between the buildings need tidying up...quite a bit of
junk lying around.

Summary : I believe that the family who own it were sometimes there onsite and because of this it had heart (which cannot be said of the more 'branded' approach). It has a warm, traditional feel but is in need of a makeover in some areas to bring it into the 21st century while retaining its strong point which is the lovely old house and grounds. No doubt this requires alot of investment but may be needed soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Sagittarius_7
Dear Sagittarius_7,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about Grayshott Spa. It is reassuring that you recognised the ‘heart’ in each member of staff’s actions as they contribute to giving our guests a positive experience. I have always felt that the charm of the house plus the skill and attitude of the staff is what makes Grayshott unique. I will pass your positive comments on to them all.

We are constantly upgrading, decorating, and improving the guestrooms, public areas, swimming pools, heating system, spa software and so on. The wonder of inhabiting a period house like Grayshott is the ongoing investment it needs. We will take your comments into consideration and continue our improvements each day.

I hope we welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Went to the Spa as a wedding gift from my new husband!

It is rather 'posh' however the staff made us feel very welcome & were not too pretencious!! We did golf; the course was in a pretty poor state very waterlocked/sludgy and holes everywhere! Tennis courts were fine. Food was yummy & plenty of it! Pool/hydropool really lovely & a good size. Changing facilities very clean & well maintained!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear MBrooks-Hill,

Congratulations on your recent wedding! I am so pleased you felt Grayshott’s staff was unpretentious and the facilities lived up to your expectations. I will pass on your positive message to chef Chris about the food.

One point about the golf course, you may have noticed lots of rabbits invading the course as it backs onto National Trust woodland. In the coming weeks and months, our gardening team will be more active around the golf course, mowing the fairways and finely mowing the greens, raking and filling holes and making the whole course playable for the Spring/Summer. This also has the effect of scaring the rabbits back onto the woodland so they damage the course less. Perhaps next time to visit, you will enjoy a game again?

With kind regards, Peter W
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had secured a two night break at Grayshott, which we'd visited before, in a charity auction. It is a place where you can relax and chill out completely or be terribly energetic and take every class, walk and other activity on offer. There is lots included in the price and although it may not look cheap do remember that all meals are included, plus free tea and coffee whenever you like, plus many activities. Treatments are extra but extremely good - very professional. It was once a true health spa and still retains all those aspects, but now has many pampering beauty treatments on offer as well. There grounds are extensive and back onto National Trust land which is perfect for long, or not so long, walks. The hotel features are probaly around 4* category.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lesley,

Thank you for your excellent review, which accurately touches on the value for money that Grayshott offers with its inclusive pricing, wide range of classes and delicious healthy cuisine. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

My sister and I stayed for a one night spa break and found it to be a truly relaxing and enjoyable experience. Having read some of the reviews before arriving, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect,as there seemed to be a variety of opinions. We needn't have worried.

I had no problems with the booking process at all, which was a relief. I had a read a few reviews on here that stated they had issues with coordinating their treatments and that staff never called back. I can happily state that I had both my phone calls returned and when I asked to adjust our treatment times, the treatment staff were more than happy to accommodate my request.

From the moment we arrived, we were attended to by helpful and friendly staff (Frank the porter gave a great tour!) and we felt very well attended to.

I've been on a number of spa breaks but this has been my favourite. It isn't the freshest in terms of modern amenities but it oozes old country charm. Most importantly, it actually feels like a retreat, away from the hustle and bustle of modern life. Relaxation is the key and I loved being able to wander around in my robe and slippers, reading quietly or chilling out in the relaxation room. I realise this isn't to everyone's taste but my sister and I loved it!

The treatments were great and tailored to our individual needs. The spa manages to avoid the conveyor belt feel that is quite often prevalent at other spas. I had Paul for my treatment and he was fantastic, adjusting the treatment to focus on my problem areas. Highly recommended!

My sister and I are pretty fit and healthy twenty somethings, so the aim of our visit was not for diet purposes, though we looked forward to eating healthy and balanced meals. The evening meal was not huge, as mentioned in previous comments, but was delicious and definitely enough to satisfy. We did come prepared for the smaller portions and indulged in some chocolate back in our room, which finished off our evening nicely! Breakfast and lunch were buffet style so we could ignore portion control (and we did) but as we were eating such healthy food, we didn't feel too bad.

Apart from wanting more time to do some more classes - we squeezed in an aqua aerobics session - our only regret was not being able to explore the grounds, thanks to unexpectedly snowy weather. An excuse to return!

We were in a standard double, with very comfortable beds. The bathroom was on the old side and could do with a refurb but since we spent most of the time in the spa this really didn't matter at all.

Overall, a fantastic night away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Hannah,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complete and positive review of your experience at Grayshott. I am thrilled you squeezed in so much during your stay. We look forward to your next visit.

With kind regards,
Peter W
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I came here for one night with a friend. It felt like a week-but in a good way! The bedroom was lovely, we stayed in a standard twin bedded room. The bathroom was a bit pokey and the shower in the room was dreadful-really pathetic little spurt of water, but it didn't detract from our stay.
The food was well balanced and tasty. The spa is well appointed, very peaceful and we enjoyed our treatments. Very sad to leave and will definitely come again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 51 with the poor shower.
1 Thank ELIZABETH220
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for your positive comments on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you left feeling rejuvenated. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grayshott
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
The Georgian Hotel
The Georgian Hotel
#2 of 2 in Haslemere
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa

Been to Grayshott Health Spa? Share your experiences!