“More health than beauty”

Grayshott Health Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grayshott
London, United Kingdom
“More health than beauty”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had secured a two night break at Grayshott, which we'd visited before, in a charity auction. It is a place where you can relax and chill out completely or be terribly energetic and take every class, walk and other activity on offer. There is lots included in the price and although it may not look cheap do remember that all meals are included, plus free tea and coffee whenever you like, plus many activities. Treatments are extra but extremely good - very professional. It was once a true health spa and still retains all those aspects, but now has many pampering beauty treatments on offer as well. There grounds are extensive and back onto National Trust land which is perfect for long, or not so long, walks. The hotel features are probaly around 4* category.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Lesley,

Thank you for your excellent review, which accurately touches on the value for money that Grayshott offers with its inclusive pricing, wide range of classes and delicious healthy cuisine. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards, Peter W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My sister and I stayed for a one night spa break and found it to be a truly relaxing and enjoyable experience. Having read some of the reviews before arriving, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect,as there seemed to be a variety of opinions. We needn't have worried.

I had no problems with the booking process at all, which was a relief. I had a read a few reviews on here that stated they had issues with coordinating their treatments and that staff never called back. I can happily state that I had both my phone calls returned and when I asked to adjust our treatment times, the treatment staff were more than happy to accommodate my request.

From the moment we arrived, we were attended to by helpful and friendly staff (Frank the porter gave a great tour!) and we felt very well attended to.

I've been on a number of spa breaks but this has been my favourite. It isn't the freshest in terms of modern amenities but it oozes old country charm. Most importantly, it actually feels like a retreat, away from the hustle and bustle of modern life. Relaxation is the key and I loved being able to wander around in my robe and slippers, reading quietly or chilling out in the relaxation room. I realise this isn't to everyone's taste but my sister and I loved it!

The treatments were great and tailored to our individual needs. The spa manages to avoid the conveyor belt feel that is quite often prevalent at other spas. I had Paul for my treatment and he was fantastic, adjusting the treatment to focus on my problem areas. Highly recommended!

My sister and I are pretty fit and healthy twenty somethings, so the aim of our visit was not for diet purposes, though we looked forward to eating healthy and balanced meals. The evening meal was not huge, as mentioned in previous comments, but was delicious and definitely enough to satisfy. We did come prepared for the smaller portions and indulged in some chocolate back in our room, which finished off our evening nicely! Breakfast and lunch were buffet style so we could ignore portion control (and we did) but as we were eating such healthy food, we didn't feel too bad.

Apart from wanting more time to do some more classes - we squeezed in an aqua aerobics session - our only regret was not being able to explore the grounds, thanks to unexpectedly snowy weather. An excuse to return!

We were in a standard double, with very comfortable beds. The bathroom was on the old side and could do with a refurb but since we spent most of the time in the spa this really didn't matter at all.

Overall, a fantastic night away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Hannah,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complete and positive review of your experience at Grayshott. I am thrilled you squeezed in so much during your stay. We look forward to your next visit.

With kind regards,
Peter W
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I came here for one night with a friend. It felt like a week-but in a good way! The bedroom was lovely, we stayed in a standard twin bedded room. The bathroom was a bit pokey and the shower in the room was dreadful-really pathetic little spurt of water, but it didn't detract from our stay.
The food was well balanced and tasty. The spa is well appointed, very peaceful and we enjoyed our treatments. Very sad to leave and will definitely come again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 51 with the poor shower.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ELIZABETH220
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for your positive comments on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you left feeling rejuvenated. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards.
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I booked a stay at Grayshott following a warm recommendation from a neighbour, and I was attracted by the ease of access from SW London. The stay was pleasant in a few respects, but I will not be booking a return.

There were some positives, as follows.

1. Yes it is very easy to travel there by car or train from London. (I travelled by train to Haslemere, & the taxi fare with MD Hire to the Spa was £18.)

2. It is located in pleasant Surrey countryside, close to National Trust land.

3. It has two indoor tennis courts, & a golf course (none of which I used).

4. Some of the staff were particularly helpful & conscientious, for example: the fitness instructor John, the porter Bertie, & the black girl (whose name I didn't catch unfortunately) who supervised the women's spa area.

5. My bed was very comfortable & had crisp cotton sheets.

But there were many disappointing features of my stay, & the negatives far outweighed the positives. I list some of them below.

1. The swimming pool was particularly disappointing. It was unattractive, small, old fashioned & shallow (0.9 m deep at one end & 1.3 m at the other). I am not a serious swimmer, but even for me it felt like little more than a paddling pool. On the floor of the pool & the nearby "hydropool" there were round plastic objects (filters?) standing proud of the floor on which it was easy to stub one's toe; I managed to stub mine twice.

2. Although there were separate men's & women's spa areas (which can have advantages), the women's spa area consisted of one small steam room & one small sauna, a plunge pool, several showers with low water pressure, & a relaxation room with no windows.

At the risk of sounding like the "Hotel Inspector", I suggest the owners/managers of Grayshott should visit a spa like Ragdale Hall near Loughborough, to get an idea of what guests expect in the 21st century by way of modern exciting spa areas & pools. (Yes it must have cost Ragdale a fortune, but judging by the way that spa has expanded over the last 20 years, it must have been a worthwhile investment.)

3. Although the breakfasts & lunches were quite pleasant buffet style, the dinners left much to be desired especially in terms of quantity. For example, the main course on our first evening would have fitted into a small teacup. So we requested some vegetables, & some bowls of plain boiled carrots, parsnips & cauliflower finally arrived when we had finished our meat. Portion control at a health spa is understandable, but why on earth does Grayshott want to restrict consumption of plain boiled vegetables?

On the second evening, we were similarly disappointed with our dinner. The genteel elderly couple on the next table were so unhappy with their dinner that they bluntly told the waiter that the food was "disgusting".

Fortunately on the third evening the waiter told us that there was a new chef & we would get "double portions of everything". And the quality & quantity were indeed better that evening; but it seems strange that the management should allow such inconsistency between chefs.

4. The range of exercise classes on offer was disappointing. For example, on each day of our stay the class programme had only 8 classes on offer, of which 3 were walks. Having previously stayed at Ragdale Hall which has an extensive range of exercise classes & dance classes on offer, I had naively expected that Grayshott would have something similar - how wrong could I be. There were very few exercise classes & no dance classes at all. I wondered if the imposition of a charge of £6 for attending the class in pilates on the first day, or yoga on the second day, was intended to deter people from signing up. It seems very strange for a health spa, part of whose very purpose is to encourage people to take exercise.

5. The teas & coffees available were inadequate. There were no tea or coffee making facilities in my room (a standard double). So if one wanted a cup of tea early in the morning, one had to trek down corridors & a staircase to the area where there was a tea urn & some mugs. Apart from herbal teas, the only teas on offer were English Breakfast or Earl Grey, & there were no coffees. (I didn't make the further trek to the bar to see if there might have been coffee on offer there.)

6. The temperatures in different parts of the building were very variable. My room was over heated at night, but the far end of the dining room, the bar, the exercise studio & the corridor leading to the studio, were all decidedly chilly & unwelcoming throughout the whole of our 3 night stay. Other guests also commented, sometimes vociferously, to the staff on the coldness. I would have expected the management would have noticed such cold temperatures & done something quickly to rectify matters.

7. The process for booking treatments is inefficient. It took no less than 5 emails to the reservations manager & the appointments team in order to get bookings of a straightforward massage & facial correctly made for my friend & myself.

8. It is irritating that guests should have to go to such lengths to get simple maintenance problems resolved, & that such problems are not spotted earlier & rectified. For example, the ceiling light bulb in my room was missing, & it took a request to reception on the first evening, a request to the housekeeper in the morning, & a further request to reception at lunchtime before the light bulb arrived.

And a very minor niggle but the keyboard for the computer used by guests was so worn out that many of the letters on the keys had worn away. The cost of replacing the keyboard would be minimal. I mentioned this latter point in a note in the suggestions box - it will be interesting to hear how quickly the keyboard is replaced, if at all.

Ragdale Hall is the only other health spa I have visited, so that is the only place I can use as a comparison. (I should add that I have no connection with Ragdale whatsoever.) I have checked that a 3 night stay this week at Ragdale would have cost me £513 for an economy single room, or £621 for a superior single room. These prices would have included three 25 minute treatments (massages, facials etc) & full free use of all the facilities. In contrast, my stay at Grayshott cost £418, but this did not include any treatments, so the 40 minute facial I booked cost an additional £55; total £473. Without question I think that Ragdale Hall offers far superior value for money.

The ambiance of Grayshott was one of faded gentility. One guest actually described it to me as being "dead". I was interested to note the clientele which Grayshott attracts. Although there were a few younger people, there was a preponderance of older (aged 60 or 70 years plus) women and couples, many with very genteel accents. One or two of them told me they had been coming to Grayshott for decades and were sure it was a cut above any other spa. I also note that Grayshott has chosen to include on its website the endorsement from an aristocratic lady with a title. Perhaps the intention is to attract genteel folk of a certain age who will be suitably impressed by such endorsements?

All this, plus the negative features listed above, prompted me to speculate whether the management of Grayshott are still resting on their laurels. Perhaps Grayshott had its heyday 20 or 30 years ago attracting the Sloane Rangers of the day, & the management just assume that the same type of people will keep returning, however out of date the place is now. This seems a short sighted vision for the future.

Room Tip: Ring up Ragdale Hall instead.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Ann L
Dear Ann,

I am grateful for the time you have taken to give feedback on your recent stay at Grayshott. I will certainly pass on your positive feedback to our staff who works diligently to make guests happy during their stay.

Grayshott aims to provide a nurturing environment for residents, members and day spa guests where health issues may be addressed and where food and nutrition play a large part. Guests remark that its small size creates a feeling of home from home. That you found our swimming pool to be too small is unfortunate, as we designed the 12m by 7m indoor pool for aqua aerobics and gentle swimming. The outdoor pool is slightly larger at 15m by 7m and is open from Spring through Summer.

I have taken your positive feedback about the buffet breakfast and lunch and passed this to our chefs. I have also raised your issue about portion size and consistency. Steps are now in place to ensure that we offer all guests a balanced 3-course meal every evening. These meals are fully included in the price of a stay, so it is important to hear feedback and act quickly upon it. Regarding your comment about tea and coffee; we do not usually provide this in the guest rooms as it is provided with our compliments in Bubbles bar and the spa reception area, however this could be made available for guest rooms on request in the future.

Grayshott provides 40 classes per week, not including the guided walks around the grounds which are popular enough to warrant being held 3 times per day. We charge only for Pilates and Yoga as these are immensely well-liked and the studio has finite space.

Heating a 19th century manor house presents its challenges and the central heating system will be reviewed to improve the areas where the temperature falls below 23 degrees. This is part of a hotel-wide review to see if improvements can be made in the newer wings also.

We are moving more of our enquiries and bookings online this year to streamline our internal reservations capability. An average telephone enquiry to Grayshott takes 25 minutes as our team explain in detail the options available to each guest, depending on if they want to join the new Grayshott Programme for digestive health, consider us for their recuperation or use Grayshott’s wide variety of spa and holistic treatments.

Grayshott has kept its rates the same since the beginning of 2012, yet continued to provide a high standard of signature, caring service, wide range of complimentary activities and lectures, excellent healthy food and the provision of expert therapists and fitness trainers. I am sorry that you feel that another spa offers better value for money, as I believe Grayshott is tremendously good value for a unique health retreat with almost 50 years of heritage.

Kind regards.
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was my second visit to Grayshott. My last was 6 years ago and I cannot understand why I've not returned before. I went alone needing time off from the world. I returned after 4 nights feeling I'd been away for 8. I did so much while there - never a chance to get bored. Treatments, exercise classes, walks, talks, swimming, steaming, ice cold plunging and just enjoying reading in the lovely drawing room all made it a rewarding experience. The food is excellent (though I was hungry the first night as dinner portions are small). I ate healthy well balanced food and returned a few pounds lighter which I am delighted about. The service is excellent. The ambience good - slightly posh relaxed. More suited to middle aged + than 20 somethings I'd say.
There is a great new week - The Grayshott Programme - run from Wednesday to Wednesday if you have digestion issues. Your body will be re-educated during the week. A fabulous nutritionist oversees it. That's what I'll be doing next time.

Room Tip: If you get upgraded to Room 6 - it is a lovely room (as long as you don't care about the view...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TiggyWalker
Dear Tiggy,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, I will certainly pass on your positive remarks to the team. I hope you will return to try the exciting new digestive cleanse programme soon.

With kind regards.
London
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Grayshott has a rather informal quality, which means you can quite comfortably go as a single traveller and won't feel strange eating alone in the dining hall. There is a decent swimming pool, jacuzzi-type pool (slightly too cool), and pleasant female only section with sauna, steam room, cold plunge pool and quiet relaxation area.
My main issue with Grayshott is that they appear to have cut down on a few of the little luxuries that seemed to set the spa apart. Huge baskets of gleaming mixed fruit have been replaced with daily helpings of rather boring green apples and the free water bottles appear to have been shelved. The staff are friendly and the rooms are very clean and pleasant... but the huge beds are far too soft and other reviewers are right when they say it all needs a lick of paint.
Come on Grayshott - you can do better than this!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Londonlass7
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Londonlass,

Thank you for taking the time to review Grayshott. I am pleased you felt comfortable as a single traveller and enjoyed the swimming pool and female spa and relaxation area.

We continue to provide complimentary fruit, water, herbal and black tea to all guests as we feel this provides the home from home comfort that so many guests cherish. I am sorry to hear that you find the beds too soft, please do let us know on your next visit so that we can adjust your bed to your liking. Refurbishment is ongoing at Grayshott, such as the new carpet in the dining room in December, and I hope you feel we are improving each area in turn.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott.

Thank you.
Surrey
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have visited the spa as a guest of a friend many times over the last two years and have just visited again. The staff are always lovely but I would agree with previous comments. This is a place to chill out..not exercise or expect luxury. It feels as though GS is dated and struggling financially: thin, frayed towels which are definitely NOT changed in the relaxation room or on loungers around the pool; dated and variable quality classes..although those run by someone called John were good; shoddy repair work and generally run down facilities - the bedrooms are tired and the ladies shower area none too clean with poor water pressure, even the newish steam room has tiles missing on the seats....unrepaired for months now. The communication is very poor....every time I have been there has been some issue getting booked, talking to someone or coordinating our treatments, despite booking months ahead. Why do we return? Because there is no pressure or stand on ceremony self consciousness felt at other spas, you are left to your own devices and not a number in a queue like at Champneys.....and the treatments are very good. That combined with time spent with friends....
Come on Grayshott - sort the rest out! It feels as though you are on the slippery slope! Sad.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Suzie,

Thank you for taking the time to write and for your continued loyalty to Grayshott. It is wonderful to know that you come here to connect with friends, chill out and enjoy good treatments.

Thank you for raising the issue about towels in the relaxation area and poolside. It is standard procedure to change these towels for fresh, new ones after each guest has used each area. I have spoken to our spa director and housekeeper to ensure that this procedure is always followed.

Refurbishment is ongoing at Grayshott, and I am aware of the repairs required in the female spa area. This is scheduled for maintenance work before Easter, and I hope you will notice the improvement in this area on your return.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott.

Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grayshott
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
The Runnymede on Thames
The Georgian Hotel
The Georgian Hotel
#2 of 2 in Haslemere

Been to Grayshott Health Spa? Share your experiences!