“no bat no ball but....”

The Bat & Ball Freehouse
Ranked #23 of 132 Restaurants in Farnham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Your first time here you might find us a little difficult to find as the pub is down an un-adopted lane in the bottom of a valley, backing on to the Bourne stream. "The Bat" is a traditional country/village pub retaining the charm and atmosphere of what a pub should be. An open fire, panelled walls, nooks and crannies, hops hanging from the old oak beams, cricketing memorabilia and six shining brass hand pumps for ale. Outside there is a covered patio area with grape vines overhead and a large garden with flower borders, a children’s play structure and plenty of seating. There is also a large car park.We offer a good and wholesome selection of light snacks, main meals and a mouth watering selection of homemade puddings and desserts. All our food is cooked and prepared in house by our team.Crossing the generations ,the pub is a meeting place for all and you will be sure of a genuine welcome
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Nice old pub with atmosphere, lovely garden with playground for young kids. very quiet, no passing traffic, set in rural hollow by stream. food quality very good, however extensive menu was limited for us when we narrowed it down,
childrens menu a bit pricy.

Maffy-and-Liz, Manager at The Bat & Ball Freehouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Thank you for your review and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to our Pub. You are right, the situation that we are in is idyllic and is perfect for an afternoon in the garden with the children. We are sorry to hear however that our extensive menu seemed limited to you as if you have any dietary requirements then we are more than happy to accommodate them and we can generally tailor a lot of dishes to your needs as is stated on our menu. We do believe that our children's menu is very fairly priced with most traditional 'kids dishes' being priced around the £5 mark and other more interesting and substantial Children's Dishes like our homemade pie costing a bit more. We do hope to see you again and thank you again for your kind review.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

I took my father along for a bite on Saturday, and tied this in with their beer festival (I am the cellarman for the Haslemere Beer Festival http://haslemerebeerfestival.co.uk/ for the last 8 years so I call this research!)
I decided to have the short ribs - which where amazing! I have never seen so much succulent meat on a rib before and have to say they are the best ribs I have ever eaten! I'm not a fan of chips - but the crispy, fluffy chips where sublime.
The beer festival itself was really well organised, with plenty of umbrellas & marques to sit under when the showers occurred. Some lovely local ales to choose from, and some great light music to listen to. I wish we had gotten a lift to the pub, as sadly we had to drive :(

Not been to The Bat & Ball in about 20 years - but will definitely be back soon with my family as they have a lovely play area. Staff where friendly & helpful and the beer festival staff where very friendly & chatty.
The only sad thing was that we left our beer festival glasses behind.

Thank you very much for your kind review and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to our Charity Beer Festival- especially knowing your credentials! I will be sure to pass your comments onto our chefs who are always pleased to hear rave reviews regarding their food. We look forward to welcoming you and your family here again soon. Oh and I am sure we can find a Festival Glass for you somewhere....

Reviewed June 11, 2014

We were taken to this pub by my son whilst we were visiting this area. The food is really good and reasonably priced, with a choice or real ales to choose from what more can you ask. The staff are really friendly and helpful and there is a large outside seating area which is great on a hot sunny day like the day we went. I believe there is a beer festival this weekend which I can't make unfortunately. The only negative I can think of is its hard to find the pub as its accessed down a unmade road (private I think) with a very narrow driveway to access to the pub itself. Also my navigation device found it hard to locate trying to take me in the back way which is really just a footpath with no vehicle access.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to us and glad that you found both our food and ales to be of high quality as this is what we strive for! We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I love the idea of finishing work and then heading off to the Bat and ball for a drink, popping in for a bank holiday lunch however we were very disappointed when ordering the trio of bruschetta and the roast beef was very well done .

The beef had obviously seen some time in the Duke box ( or microwave as it's commonly known as . Also the vegetables were ordinary .

Great playing area. Lovely staff , although it would be nice to be able to identify them. Perhaps an apron might be a good idea or a staff shirt.

I want to like this place but can't quite fathom how it is in the top ten restaurants in Farnham

Perhaps the rest of the menu is appetising ?

2  Thank Astronaut2005
Maffy-and-Liz, Manager at The Bat & Ball Freehouse, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to us. All of our meat is delivered fresh by our local Butcher Michael Humphreys and cooked on the premises- so I can assure you that your Roast Beef went no where near a microwave! If you had notified us about your complaint we would have happily done you a new roast using Beef from nearer the middle of the joint where it is rarer, however we can do nothing if you do not tell us at the time.
We hope to still see you coming in for a drink after you finish work and perhaps persuade you to try something from our menu which is always well received.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

A year or so a go - we said never again. But found ourselves having a walk out, and giving it a try. It is 100% times better than when we last visited - when the service was awful, and the food OK.
This time service was great and the food was really good.
Will now recommend, and also come back.
WELL DONE :-)

1  Thank 232NICC

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are so pleased that you decided to give us another chance, and even more pleased that you have changed your mind about us! We look forward to seeing you again soon.