“No christmas spirit”

The Bat & Ball Freehouse
Ranked #21 of 131 Restaurants in Farnham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Your first time here you might find us a little difficult to find as the pub is down an un-adopted lane in the bottom of a valley, backing on to the Bourne stream. "The Bat" is a traditional country/village pub retaining the charm and atmosphere of what a pub should be. An open fire, panelled walls, nooks and crannies, hops hanging from the old oak beams, cricketing memorabilia and six shining brass hand pumps for ale. Outside there is a covered patio area with grape vines overhead and a large garden with flower borders, a children’s play structure and plenty of seating. There is also a large car park.We offer a good and wholesome selection of light snacks, main meals and a mouth watering selection of homemade puddings and desserts. All our food is cooked and prepared in house by our team.Crossing the generations ,the pub is a meeting place for all and you will be sure of a genuine welcome
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

I'm sad to write this as I have been going to this pub on Christmas Eve for ten years or so. They have decided now to employ nasty and rude bouncers and even now (Christmas Day) I am still irritated by how I was spoken to. They routed through my personal belongings and took a bottle that I was due to take to a party later on. She then was nowhere to be seen when I left so I had to turn up empty handed. I won't be going here on Christmas Eve again.

1  Thank Chappy1990

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I've been drinking at the Bat for several years, never had a problem here. I went there last night to meet some friends for a meal and drinks, the food was fantastic. The menu has recently been updated and now includes a fantastic selection of different flavours, will definitely eat here again as there is a lot on the menu that we want to try!
The night we visited everyone was full of the Christmas spirit singing carols, we all had a lot of fun! There is often good entertainment here so it's worth checking the website to see what's on.
Overall, this is a great traditional British pub with a lot of atmosphere, it might be a little hard to find for the uninitiated, but it truly is a hidden gem!

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Had my team Christmas lunch here with a few colleagues and was impressed by the menu. The food was good and everyone enjoyed it. This traditional pub is dog-friendly, features a roaring fire which is nice in these winter months and with ample seating for diners.

The only problem with this pub has nothing to do with the establishment at all, but the awfully pot-holed roads you need to endure to get to this wonderful pub. If you can make the trip, it is well worth it!

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We come here regularly. The food is superb - such a great, local menu with something for everyone, and the puds are always truly amazing... the cheese board is second to none! With a warm atmosphere, and a welcome to families (and dogs) its perfect for a long sunday lunch or a mid week treat! We are so lucky to have the bat and ball as our local.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Down a lane full of potholes, ruts and raised manhole covers, this pub takes a bit of care getting to. However, the effort is well rewarded. The tea, are very welcoming, and the food has a real 'home cooked' style to it. My scallops had the coral left on which I love (other restaurants take note - when you lose the coral, you also lose the colour, texture and flavour - such a waste!). They were also beautifully seared. A wonderful venison burger was my choice of main. My wife shared a charcuterie platter with our friends, then a curried salmon which was lovely. The big treat was to follow, however. The selection of desserts was fabulous. I could have eaten them all with joy, if only I had any space left. I went for the apple and walnut strudel - lovely flaky FILO encasing some nice sharp apple and mellow walnuts for taste and texture. Scrummy. We'll be back soon. Definitely recommended.