All reviewsparisian dreamshuge bathlady hamiltonscarlett suitewell stocked barsmall hotelbiscuitspowerful showerour wedding anniversarynadiamattresskettle
Reviewed September 3, 2017

Arrived on the time of 3 pm, only to be left standing at the door waiting for it to be answered - if your times of check-in start from 3 pm, someone should at least be there waiting.

Rated as a four-star hotel, yet we had to carry our own bags up varying stairs to the allocated room.

Parisian Dreams Suite, promises loads - however, reality found a bed full of bumpy uncomfortable springs - bath huge promises - did not empty easily; feel plumbing problems generally - water gurgling in both sink and bath, water took an absolute age to flow away; notice found in guest book - not to use bath in morning as their other guests would have no hot water. Showers - look fab but back wall one loose from the wall.

Very hot temperature in the room, the attendant on duty did carry a portable fan to room and more bottles of water when asked - so that was a good point. Lots of complimentary toiletries - but not just fresh for us as appeared part used.

Evening meal - small menu - and three significant things missing meaning that my companion had to have two starters as no replacement fish stocked for his vegetarian taste in the place of absent cod. Only one sharer dessert option - out of stock !
Drinks appeared very expensive - very sad that their measly dinner meal offerings were costed at a whopping 46.00 on top of the 210.00 already paid for the room for our one-night stay (that's after the extra one hour for 15.00 was added).

Breakfast - disappointingly cold - hotel I understand has 8 rooms, most guests chose to have breakfast at the similar times. Not enough dining tables for all to eat, some needing to use coffee tables. We ourselves shared with another couple on their table set for four.

Once we had paid and tried to give feedback at the time - the attendant appeared to have switched off and seemed not interested.

High Expectations Left very disappointed and on reflection this product cost way too much for actual experience received. I myself have enjoyed stays for business and pleasure elsewhere, this does not meet any of their standards - and should so NOT be classed as a four-star hotel.

Do not waste your money !!

Stayed: August 2017
4  Thank Julesx64
HdV_Owner, Manager at Hotel de Vie, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. We value your opinion, but we do feel a lot of your complaints are unfounded and I do remember your witty comments while you were here.

We are a privately owned hotel and only open to residents. Therefore our front door is locked with a doorbell, so it may take us a little while to get to the door to open it for you, especially when we are not advised of your arrival time (which can be any time from 3pm-10:30pm). This is to stop non-residents from wandering in and using our bar and helping themselves to the free hot drinks and snacks, which we supply for residents. We always offer assistance in carrying bags up the one flight of stairs to people who look like they require it, but due to your feedback we will offer this service to all guests in future in case they expect it, as we are always happy to help.

We understand the feel of a mattress can be very subjective, as other people staying recently have commented on how comfortable it is, but I will look into it to see if there is a problem. You complained in the evening that the bath pipes were blocked and the bathplug was broken (which it wasn't after I explained how it worked) – also the bath is SO big that it does take a long time to drain what is essentially 3-baths-worth down a regular size plughole. Similarly, because the surface area is so large, it can give the illusion of not draining. Neither shower is loose from the wall so all I can assume is that you were confused by the additional hand-held shower attachment and if you run a bath with the windows closed then the room can essentially become a sauna, so I was happy to provide a fan and extra water for you. We do refill our toiletries as part of our green policy and to reduce our landfill footprint.

The evening menu experience for me was quite frustrating as you happened to choose the only three things on our menu that we didn't have available due to supplier shortages. The choice of two starters was puzzling for me and when I discovered that your partner was vegetarian at breakfast the following morning I wondered why you did not choose from the two other vegetarian options on the menu (the cod is not advertised as vegetarian). We are not a large hotel so I apologise that our menu did not cater for your taste, but we do run a delivery service with many local restaurants from their menus displayed in the bar.

Similarly at breakfast we still had 3 tables available for you to eat at, but you chose to eat at a high table over our popular coffee table/armchairs and they were all taken (as on this very rare occasion all 8 rooms chose to come for breakfast at the same time). You then shared a table for 4 with another couple that were very kind and offered to let you sit with them. I noticed you are a very slow eater and that is the only explanation I can have for your breakfast being cold, as we always cook it fresh to-order.

I was more confused than uninterested when you checked out, as you didn’t mention any of the issues of the previous night (although I brought up the subject about looking at the bath drainage in case something was blocking it) - but were explaining that you would like to have tried the love swing, but felt embarrassed to come and ask for the stepladder to hang it. The stepladder is available for all to use and you do not need to ask at reception for it, but there is a weight restriction for the love swings.

Overall I apologise that you were disappointed but perhaps the quirky nature of our accommodation and your specific requirements weren't compatible on this occasion, although I feel you would be happier in our Scarlet Suite if you did choose to come back (there are no stairs and the bath, although large, is smaller so drains quicker).

Reviewed August 29, 2017

Perfect for a romantic get-away. The massive bathtub is amazing and the swings make for a lasting experience. We hope to be back soon and try other rooms as well. Breakfast was lovely and available snacks, too.

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SianW365
Reviewed July 1, 2017 via mobile

Wife and I have just returned from an overnight stay at Hotel De Vie. We have already checked our diaries to work out when we can next return, so to enjoy this amazing place. Staff were welcoming, rooms immaculately clean. This hotel/B&B offers something different but to a very high standard. Breakfast was to a very high standard like the rest of the hotel. The atmosphere was very romantic, allowing us to enjoy our time at the hotel.

Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2017 via mobile

Slightly quirky but very comfortable small boutique hotel, slightly more than a B and B but much more character than a chain hotel. Comfortable rooms, powerful shower, didn't get to try out all the other equipment in the room! Friendly staff and great breakfast!

Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2017

A hotel, for adults, will be bliss for some. The decor is truly awesome, the welcome from Garry is warm and the beds and linen are to die for. Best for couples, (there are a few surprises under the bed) or singles on business. Hearty breakfast finishes off your stay in style. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple