“Lies told over room price, rude service in the follow-up”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Mulberry

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Farnham
The Mulberry
England, United Kingdom
“Lies told over room price, rude service in the follow-up”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed at the Mulberry for one night in August, 2013. I was quoted a price over the phone, and when I arrived was told that the price was actually going to be £15 more for my party of three. The man working upon arrival said he had been away on holiday, so it would have been the manager who gave me the quote, and that I could call later to get the partial refund. As it may not have been his fault, I believed him and paid the full charge. Upon following his advise and calling the following week about the refund, the manager accused me of lying and said there is no way he would ahve quoted that price. He was extremely rude about this, and left me with a very negative feeling.

When this is coupled with the fact they lost my booking and could only squeeze us in by chance on the night, I would very very strongly advise against staying at this place. The beds are uncomfortable, the service is horrendous and downright rude.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Danny L
Quelch, Owner at The Mulberry, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
I am sorry that you felt you had to write us a bad review which is unfounded. None of us were aware of your unhappiness over the price and it is a shame you have to bad mouth us on here. The price of a bed is no secret and we advertise it clearly on our website, boards outside and inside the pub. We really have no idea where your confusion came from, it clearly was not us. All the staff are fully briefed on price and the managers certainly are and the tills are set to this one price so there is no room for error. If we charged any less than £20 a bed it would not be worth us opening the doors!
To give us a one star on location is also ridiculous as we could not be more central with the train station 50 yards away and the town centre on the opposite side of the road!
An unfair review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bordon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I have to say, l think l'm starting to miss my bus more often! As a worker in the town, l have a few times now, popped in here for a drink..a while ago tho, on finding l had an hour to wait for my bus, l decided to try the food...and l was so NOT disappointed! Much to the amusement of some lads nearby, l was positively gushing over the Cheese Plank!! All they could hear were a lot of very appreciative Mmmm's from me :) I decided to have this again on my last visit, l paid and then was told that they didnt have the cheese...so the barman, who was most attentive, made the kitchen staff go out and buy some!! Again..it was sublime.my only gripe is that at £10.00..it is a tad expensive but this was offset by the barman asking me a few times if l wanted more bread or chilli jam..l enjoyed it so much that l intend to bring friends and co-workers here...the pub itself is cosy and atmospheric and, being an older lady, felt very comfortable in coming in by myself...keep up the good work, you really are an asset to the town.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I organised a work team-building day at The Mulberry which was a huge success. Not only was the room hire free (as long as you order food) but the room was beautiful and well laid out. The food was excellent and all the staff really helpful. In particular the manager David Young, who did anything which was asked of him and was always on hand to make the day run smoothly. All in all - highly recommended! Jo Cane from UCA Farnham

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Only had lunch here today, we travelled from Basingstoke as we had seen the menu on the Internet and it looked amazing.
The decor inside the place is confused and dark.
The chicken wings were 10/10!! :)
The burgers tasted bland and the mince on them was to fine, I prefer my burgers to be more meaty and juicy in flavour.
My partner had the Firehouse burger which was apparently meant to be hot, but wasn't at all in the slightest.
Price was average, but we left feeling slightly dissatisfied, as on paper this place sounded great, but actually nothing but ok.
Maybe the evening chef is better than the lunchtime one.
Forgot to mention also that the burger rolls were definitely not fresh. :(

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Mark B
Quelch, Owner at The Mulberry, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you were not more satisfied. In response to your comments we are not in any way confused about the decor. The building is listed and dates back to the 1850s and we have tried to be sympathetic. As the owner I have chosen the furniture and decor from a variety of local shops and suppliers. We use the local antique shop for the furniture and a neighbour does all our upholstering, a local metalworker produces our lights etc etc. The dark atmosphere is 100% deliberate and we prefer the cosy candle lit ambience to a brightly lit venue fitted out with characterless furniture and we are sorry our style did not appeal to you.
With regards the food, I am pleased you enjoyed our chicken wings! The burgers are made by our chefs and the meat is provided by the best local butcher (Morgans) and mixed to our specification. I can assure the burger buns were fresh and they again are supplied by a local bakery made fresh to order and delivered 6 days a week. We do however toast all our buns. I have 3 chefs working for me and they all do lunch and evening shifts and are all qualified, experienced and enthusiastic!
It is a shame you did not mention something to us at the time and allowed us the opportunity to tell you about our pub style or improve your experience as we pride ourselves in everything we do at The Mulberry.
lymo
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend, using the Mulberry as a hostel whilst doing activities in the surrounding area. Our plan was mainly to sleep there but the food, drink and hospitality was so good that we barely left the place. The selection of Burgers is fantastic and each one tastes great [well I only had 3.....]

The ambiance is "quiet pub" during the day, turning into a bustling bar/restaurant during the evening and becoming a great place to party towards the end of the night. The fact that you can then crawl upstairs to a simply tidy room with en-suite is perfect.

Also has a fantastic beer garden.

I wish there were more places like this around.

Room Tip: Not great for an early night on the weekend. If you want a lie-in, ask for a room towards the back.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Quelch, Owner at The Mulberry, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Many thanks for your review and we are delighted you enjoyed. We look forward to seeing you again.
Bristol
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Mulberry was the chosen base from my brother's stag weekend, and proved to be an inspired choice.

Very cheap and basic accommodation, but that was what we were looking for.

The staff were very helpful and extremely friendly.

Great food, reasonable bar prices, and a great atmosphere. Clearly very popular with locals

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Quelch, Owner at The Mulberry, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, thank you for your review.
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Rooms were dirty bar staff very hostile. Rooms were cramped and below average . And also very over priced if your thinking about staying I would suggest staying in a wheelie bin instead .but if you do decide to stay make sure u go for a drink on Wednesday day it's student night plenty of people all friendly and very chatty just remember to wipe your feet on the way out !!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Drunkenbuilders
Quelch, Owner at The Mulberry, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Usually I would apologise when I have unhappy customers however as you have since tried to book in with us again for next week you can not have been that unhappy. I do believe your inaccurate and unfair review is because we have refused to have you to stay again following your disgusting behaviour, disrespect to our pub and abuse towards our staff. Your login name - drunkenbuilders - says it all. Climbing and jumping all over our furniture, making noise at 1am in the morning and disturbing other guests, and then when politely being asked not to you abused my staff with intimidating behaviour and foul language.

For your information we have lodged a formal complaint with your company for your appalling behaviour. This was done when they tried to book the room again for you next week!