“A brilliant weekend”
Review of The Mulberry

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Farnham
The Mulberry
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A brilliant weekend”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I used to live in Farnham but moved away after university. Some old school friends of mine were having a reunion in Farnham so I needed somewhere to stay. They had heard that the Mulberry offered good rooms at an even better rates so booked there. Having arrived on the Friday evening the pub was in full swing, quite a mixed crowd of people, both young and older. I had a quick shower in the en-suite and headed out to meet my friends. The next night we decided to do a bit of a pub crawl just like old times and ended up at Mulberry. Again a good crowd and a DJ who was playing up to date tunes as well as some old favorites. The staff were friendly and accomodating when we asked if we could have a larger table for our group. All in all a great time was had by all of us and the room was just perfect for what I needed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Joshua H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Having recently returned to Farnham from a long time away travelling Europe I decided to decompress and get used to local town life by staying at the Mulberry for a few days.

Wow, what a difference a couple of years make. I had seen some of the earlier reviews that were less than complimentary of the hotel, with regards to noise etc. but as regular to hostels and enjoying a livelier atmosphere decided to give it a go.

A warm welcome by the young, trendy and very courteous staff (a big thanks to Matt and Corin) I was shown to one of the rooms in the hostel. Unique and handmade spacious bunks awaited me with fresh sheets and a powerful shower. Although the room slept four people I had the place to myself for 5 nights, a lucky bonus to be be sure. Cleaned up I headed downstairs to try a gourmet burger and have a drink. The menu concentrates on these carnivorous delights and what a selection, I opted for the Highwayman with egg, onions rings and mushrooms and it's one of the best burgers I have come across in eating them all over the world, the fact that I ate in the pub every night of my stay was a testament to the grub and I hear there new(ish) head chef is doing great work and developing the menu.

The place was busy with drinkers of all ages and certainly seems to appeal to a younger crowd, the bar staff were great with a high energy level and quick to chat and make you feel at home.

I spent 5 comfortable nights and other than the (very busy) student wednesday was not disturbed by noise or disruption. When I left felt like a regular with warm goodbyes and some new friends made.

This place is not for everyone, if your looking for a more corporate, quiet, full service joint there are plenty of (much pricier) options but if your travelling, working in the area or looking for digs for a large group to bed down for the night or weekend then this warm, funky and energetic pub could be your choice.

Jon and his team should be congratulated on creating a place that is not a soulless corporate identikit, but a thriving local business that deserves its sucess.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Frensham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've travelled many countries in my time and recently friends who we'd met in Asia decided to stop by while visiting London and due to limited space at our flat I decided to put them up at The Mulberry where they now offer a simple but tasteful array of back packer type hostel rooms for £15.00 pn (no joke) Being a bit of a joker I thought this would be a great way of getting my own back at the one of the members of the party having experienced a traumatic night while travelling with this particular person. How wrong I was!!!

They are due back in the UK in mid December and have asked to stay at The Mulberry again due to the great food, service and what was remarked as being the Farnham’s “back packers paradise” – need I say anymore!!

Thank you to everyone at The Mulberry who looked after our guest

Jeremy Horne

Room Tip: Our friends opted for the back packer/hostel rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
london
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Well it quite simply is the best pub in Farnham, it has literally transformed from what it was 2 and half years ago to being a cut above the rest in this rural town in Surrey. The only pub where decent bands are booked and a good sound system. Regular DJ and event nights not only in the pub but in the massive garden outback with a large smoking area. Theres a back room if you dont want to be in the thick of the action and you will occassionally catching people sitting at the back just at home playing jenga as you will see others cutting up the makeshift dancefloor. Its a real pub leaving many other pubs behind. Theres outside heaters so you cant even get cold !!! Plenty of different beers and drinks to choose from with offers all the time including shot promotions on some of the strangest shots ive ever heard of and seen. Go for the tequila with the worm if you dare or how about a glitter bomb. The landlord and his staff have transformed a rather rubbish station pub till the top pub in the down without a doubt. The pub has two large screens one in the garden which is open in summer and winter and one inside and also a Flat screen when your propped up at the bar...! Has all the live football on and sky and is always rammed for the rugby - then not forgetting the food ...from the old indian it used to have at the back to now the Mulberry burger ...best burger in town and a vast menu thats as good for adults/students as it is for kids - my favourite is the smoking one !! But also has a burger challenge for £15.00 which includes 4 burgers ....! Yes it has a late licence - its a decent pub ! So if your staying there overnight expect some late music. It certainly might not appeal to the older fraternity who want to be tucked up in bed with a horlicks ...but if your idea is out for a drink having a room upstairs and stumbling up there from the best night in Farnham might be more your thing. A transformed pub which is almost always packed !! Good job !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
surrey
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I've been all over the world and never come across a hostel better than this!!! Not only are the rooms ensuited but the bunk beds are hand-made, wooden and real sturdy (no more fear of the above person falling on you as you sleep)
Not only is there a BAR DOWNSTAIRS but the general feeling of the place is young, fun and friendly- being young myself, so was a real breath of fresh air!!! There are a few things i could whinge about but for the price I paid and the time I had it didn't seem to matter in the end!!
All in all for a newish business I wish them all the best and would recommend to like minded people along my travel's!! xx THANK-YOU MULBERRY xx

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank babushkaa
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I tried to phone to book a table and got an answer machine. Even though I left a message nobody got back to me. This was for a group of visitors, so I did not want to be disappointed. We therefore took our business elsewhere. You would think in this day and age businesses would be doing all they could to encourage business and gain recommendations for their quality of service.

I have also eaten here and the service was slow (dont go if you are on a timescale) and the food was pretty dire as well. Not very good quality, burned chips and a raw burger! The decor is tired and in poor state of repair, tables are sticky and the floors grubby. Dont know why I wanted to take my visitors there to be honest, but it was nearby and local.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Janice H
Quelch, Owner at The Mulberry, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
We were sorry to here that your call was not returned. We have had a lot of problems with people leaving messages where the message is difficult to hear, numbers have been left incorrectly or we have been asked to call back and no number has been left at all. We are a very busy bar and restaurant and during service priority goes to our customers present rather than answering the telephone. If a message has been left we do usually try to call back.

With regards the food, we use our local butcher Morgans for the meat, G Hone for local veg and Espanola a specialist supplier for our cheeses. The products we could use would make us a far better margin but we pride ourselves in quality. Whilst your telephone call may not have been returned for whatever reason it is unfair to slate our food - clearly it was not that bad otherwise you would not have contemplated returning, let alone with visiting guests!

The premises were re-decorated 6 months ago.
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Went here recently for a lunchtime drink. it was a nice sunny day so the upper beer garden bit was actually quite a nice place to be.
Bar service was very very slow at the bar, the food orders our group had made came out relatively quickly though and the food was pretty good.
the guy serving the food wasn't overly helpful - wouldn't even bring extra sachets of ketchup up for us when bringing some more of the food with him - just pointed us to the where they were kept (back down the steps right where he was about to walk past!)
Will give it a go another day and see if things have improved

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends