“The Croissant!”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“The Croissant!”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I do not normally complain about places that I have stayed at but the Farnham House hotel was an experience and in the end I just had to laugh at how bad it was.

1st impression not great. Hungry after traveling, I asked if we could book dinner and the receptionist said that she could book a table for us in an hour because they were extremely busy. I noted that there was no one in the restaurant at that point and two people there in an hour. Extremely busy?? I dread to think how they would cope with more than two tables.

A very similar experience to the reviews that have been posted - unclean, dated, too hot, noisy during the night, shower either really hot or really cold, poor bar (No staff) and dinner service (One hour in between courses) but the incident that stood out the most was my breakfast the next day.

I had a croissant and as I took a bite, it was completely raw and sticky inside. I showed this to the waiter and he said that the chef was making more and that I would get a cooked one. As I was served another I was a bit more cautious with this one as a result of the previous croissant. The new was not raw this time, but completely frozen on the inside. I again showed this to the waiter and explained it's arctic state and the waiter replied "I thought that was the case" and walked off. Myself and my colleague that was having breakfast with me just laughed.

As I checked out the receptionist asked me how my stay was and I said "not good" expecting her to ask why. I think she gets that response from customers often as she merely responded with "O.K".

An absolute shambles of a place, which is a shame because the grounds of the hotel are really nice and with investment could be a cracking hotel. I would advise no one to visit even if it is a short overnight business stay like me, however if the hotel changes hands then someone has the potential to make it really quite nice.

Warning - do not have a croissant unless you like raw pastry or frozen pastry.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Marc M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Thatcham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed here for one night for our friend's wedding and had a great time. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, the food and drink were nothing special but perfectly acceptable for the event and the room was just what we needed. We didn't get chance to visit the grounds but hear they're worth a visit. Only downside for us (and several other guests) was the heating - it was far too hot. We turned off every radiator and opened every window we could find!!

Aside from the heat, a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed last night and the venue is nice with plenty of potential, however service was slow, I guess due to limited staff numbers. Breakfast was the real issue for me, they'd run out of glasses for the orange juice, run out of toast, run out of mushrooms, run out of hash browns and then ran out of coffee so quite a limited "full English breakfast for us. When I raised the matter at reception the lady there said "there was toast etc when I looked" which was a great help, I only wish she could have given us the 2 minute slot when everything would have been available, she then said "I'll make a note of it" so sadly it was more then clear she'd heard this many times before and she wasn't interested in doing anything to fix the issue we had.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed for one night as part of an exclusive-use wedding package for friends. As we didn't pay for the room, I can't say if it was value for money but the venue was really good.
It's a typical old country house hotel so it's all a bit outdated and creaky but I think that's generally what they are going for.
The staff were fantastic throughout the day, evening and late late night. The night porter guy was fantastic and put up with us being silly until the very wee small hours.
The food throughout the wedding day and night, and the following morning breakfast was of a very good standard. It was a bit surprising that there wasn't any decent hot veggie option for breakfast, considering they had catered so well for us many veggies on the wedding day, but it wasn't the end of the world.
There was a problem on the Sunday morning with their water heater so the whole place has no hot water for the first few hours, but as annoying as it was, they were very apologetic about it and these things are fine if they happen once in a blue moon.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place as a wedding venue.

Room Tip: I didn't see a lift and there are lots of stairs, so check with them first if you have access pr...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FuManStu42
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I booked the Farnham House Hotel very last minute, less than 24 hours before arrival, so I was expecting something fairly basic. However, I was pleasantly surprised!
On arrival, there was a wedding fayre event on, but that didn't create too much disturbance, other than needing to use the overflow car park. The greeting at reception was warm and friendly, and my room was warm and welcoming too. The room was nothing special, per se, but it had everything I needed and the shower was a lovely temperature and a good size.
I had dinner in the hotel restaurant, and the waiter was lovely. He recommended me a good local bitter, and told me what was good on the menu. Food came very quickly and it was a massive portion.
I slept fairly well too - there was a bit of noise from pipes whistling and doors slamming, but nothing I couldn't block out easily enough.
Breakfast was good - I wasn't really feeling hungry, but what I ate was delicious.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Attended my friend's wedding here and stayed for one night - lovely hotel, beautiful grounds. Kids loved the pond and conker trees! Room was clean and spacious but was in need of an update. The central heating made very strange noises early in the morning!! Wedding food was simple but tasty. Breakfast was poor in comparison - 'hot' food was cold and not tempting, sausages looked undercooked and scrambled egg looked pale and watery. However, the hotel staff were friendly and polite.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bordon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have just attended my son and his new wife's wedding here. The hotel was lovely as a wedding venue, just unfortunate that it rained all day and that we were unable to take advantage of the stunning grounds. The staff were helpful and professional, food was lovely and brought out very speedily.
However the rooms do not live up to their promise, very clean nice linen but very dated. The bed was very soft and bouncy, and not the kingsize that we had requested and the pillows were too flat, meaning that four were not really enough. Reports from other family members indicated that the child beds were not up to standard even for their four year olds and are in dire need of replacement. Being an old building it does have a "life of it's own" at night. Breakfast was nice and cooked to order with friendly and welcoming staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
Best Western Frensham Pond Hotel
Aviator Hotel
Aviator Hotel
#1 of 7 in Farnborough
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,819 reviews

Been to Farnham House Hotel? Share your experiences!