“Wedding nightmare”

Farnham House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I had my wedding on the 25th January at the Farnham house hotel. Having picked this hotel over a year ago something has drastically gone wrong with this hotel since then. The food was second rate and not up to the standard you should expect from a wedding. The staff had no idea what was going on, no bar staff, rude and cocky master of ceremonies and hopeless hotel manager that really didn't care or know what was needed to provide the perfect day.

Our elderly parents arrived to a room, with no heating. Numerous times I told the staff to rectify this, after 1 hour of waiting, we did it ourselves as they just left them unattended.

The main reason this hotel is not up to scratch is clear to me, no leadership from the hotel manager, kids serving who really don't care on customer service, 2 different functions managers in 1 year with no idea what is required even when we had delivered everything to them and discussed the plans numerous times.

I am sad and upset on how we and all our family and friends have been treated. The hotel and staff are really not bothered, as everything is too much of an effort.

Cleaning staff need to work at "cleaning" as the hotel was dirt and dusty. When quizzed over these issues, the staff looked at me and others like rabbits in headlights, it became clear the reason why.....broken English skills!

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone at all, the hotel could be a gold mine, however it has been left to fall into a shoddy state.

9  Thank Laurie S

Reviewed January 31, 2013

On the 25th January 2013 I attended my sisters wedding and was very disappointed with the whole day. When we were having our meal the man that was in charge of the staff and the event was serving all the guests first and leaving the children till last [as a family we always feed the children first ] so as the main meal was being brought out I asked very nicely if he could feed the children first this time to be told " no madam I have it all under control I know what im doing " which infuriated the whole family. The food was disgusting the only nice thing was the steak ! My partner and many other guests had the risotto which was full of garlic so much so it made your eyes water, so all those guests went without a main meal.
After the meal we all had to wait in a very small bar for over an hour for them to change the room over, there wasn't room or enough chairs for us, and whenever you wanted to buy a drink there was never a member of staff behind the bar to serve you, we had to keep gong to find that obnoxious little man. There should have been someone behind the bar at all times to serve the guests its ridiculous.
Breakfast was awful burnt, scrambled egg ect
Ive always thought that the Farnham House Hotel wold be quite luxurious, how wrong I was. The only nice things were what my sister had brought.
As I already said I was very disappointed and a bad choice for a venue !
Do not stay at this hotel for any reason you will be let down !!!
Yours sincerely
J Goss

Room Tip: Don't use this hotel !!!!
3  Thank jayne g
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I spent two nights with one day at a sisters wedding never ever will i stay or recommemd this hotel to friends, foes or strangers. rooms dirty, food inedible staff unprofessional.
My whole family were here and not one of us had a great stay many came from far a field and could not wait to leave, if this had not been a very special day for our little sister we all have left after the first meal.

1  Thank joanne b
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had my wedding at the Farnham House Hotel on the 25th January 2013 - where to begin.

First impressions - DON'T BE FOOLED. This hotel looks cute, adorable even and so endearing for a wedding. We were so excited, this is one of the most important days of your life and you want it to be perfect - right?

We booked the hotel for our wedding in January 2012 - after reading lots of reviews and all seemed fine. We even ate there a couple of times, just to be sure the food was good and it was. We had meeting after meeting with the events organiser and manageress, just to be sure that everything would be great - right down to the tiniest detail.

So, what could possibly go wrong? We had arranged to meet most of the guests there on the 24th for a get together and meal and I needed to decorate some of the hotel with a couple of helpers (sister and friend). We walked into the Cedar Room where the wedding breakfast would be served and the floor was very dirty - we were assured this would be cleaned - although I am sure this is quite difficult when they had already set-up the tables for the wedding breakfast the following day! Anyway, I wanted to dress the window ledges and little alcoves - they were absolutley filthy. My friend had to grab a couple of cloths and clean these down for me. They were heaving with dead flies and a serious amount of dust was found behind the various ornaments that are resident in there. There was cigarette ash on one of the window sills and the corners of the windows are very mouldy and in desperate need of a really good clean. There was a dirty plate on one of the window sills as well. Not a great start.

My friends, family myself and my fiancee were eating there the night before the wedding and the hotel requested that we all choose our meals when we checked in so they could ensure all food was ready on time enabling us to eat at the same time and without delay. We all did as requested. Come 7.30, we were all in the Oak Room where we were to dine that evening. All I can say is What A Shambles. There was missing food, there was food with parts of it missing. The food was either under or overcooked - but all cold! Absolutely disgusting. Food was sent back time and time again. Some people got fried chips, while others got oven. I found a hair in my dinner and my son found two! Terrible!

Bedrooms - Terrible, Terrible and even more terrible. We had guests in rooms that are just not habitable. Mould again dead flies everywhere. Housekeeping needs a serious looking at. Dirty stained sheets, chipped and dirty crockery - my daughter was very destressed with the amount of dust in her room and reminded me this was other peoples skin and really should be cleaned. My elderly parents' room was freezing and we requested no less than 3 times for someone to look at their radiator. Eventually, we gave up and my son who is a heating engineer, had a look instead. It transpired that their radiator needed bledding and luckily he had a radiator key on him. It then became obvious that other people rooms were also in need of the same thing and he ended up bleeding at least another three radiators in peoples rooms. Maintenance also needs a talking to I would say!

Breakfast - Cold and stay away from the scrambled eggs - grey with black pieces - hideous! Chipped and dirty cups.

The Wedding Day - Of course, the wedding itself is - fortunately - made by who you have there and our wedding was perfect. UNTIL the wedding breakfast. I think they must have served the top table the best of the worst. My dinner as okay - others, terrible. The bread rolls were terribly burned underneath. The starters were good. The 'champagne' sorbet (supplement charged), was the most awful tasting thing I have ever had. My mother in law didn't believe it to be champagne, as it tasted like whiskey and jokingly asked to see the packet, expecting to be told there was no packet as it had been made on site, however, we were all very shocked when the head waiter did in fact go and get a lid from a frozen sorbet tub to prove that it said champagne. The head waiter agreed it tasted bad. BUT we were offered no compensation. The mushroom risotto never got eaten as was just pure garlic. The beef (which cost a supplement) was overcooked and dry but again - cold. The tart tatin, whilst tasted nice, was not tart tatin. The head waiter was aggressive and sometimes threatening in his manner as well.

We paid for guests who could not make it on the day - only four luckily - but when my other guests asked for their desserts, the Master of Ceremony refused to give it to them and sent it back to the kitchen! AND the floor although had been hovered, was still dirty in places.

The evening buffet was good. To be honest, it was all frozen and not diffcult to cook.

The 'throw' on our bed in the bridal suite had a large blood stain on it when we arrived on the 24th. We informed reception that we had removed this from the bed and placed it in the dressing room, but it was still were we left it on the 26th - no replacement was given to us. The worst thing for me was when I climbed out of bed on the 26th and pushed the covers of the bed right back to discover that for the past two nights I had been sleeping on heavily blood stained sheets - wish I had had a good look before as it made me feel really quite sick. You live and learn. This prompted me to look further and I found that my pillows were also stained underneath - just so wrong and so disgusting. There is no excuse for this whatsoever.

I told the events organiser when I checked out and she simply said 'oh, thats not very good is it'.

To be honest, your wedding day is a very emotional and busy day. I tried not to notice these things the day of the wedding as I knew it would upset me and possibly ruin my day and I was not going to let it do that, but the fact that my guests endured such a terrible experience at the hands of this hotel is quite distressing.

Please think twice before booking this hotel for your wedding. We spend literally tens of thousands on our wedding, we did not book an all inclusive deal - we paid 'full whack' and received a terrible service. There was no attention to detail at all and when you are planning a wedding down to the finest detail, you expect your venue to do the same.

I can honestly say that I am heartbroken. I spent a lot of time and money on this wedding - the best day of my life and this hotel let me down hugely. This is an honest and frank review. I have no alterior motive - only to stop you making the same mistake.

BRIDES BEWARE - PLEASE.

Room Tip: Check all bed sheets for stains, window ledges and nooks and crannies for flies and dust.
4  Thank Emma S
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've been staying here for a while, on business trips and always a Sunday night. The rooms are generally clean and tidy, some are a little dated or tired. The service has always been good, friendly staff and a pleasant atmosphere. The food can sometimes be a bit hit and miss but I can't fault the breakfast, in fact I couldn't finish it all this morning, and for me that's unusual.

Room Tip: All rooms are in similar locations, no preference really
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kpe554
Reviewed January 27, 2013

stayed for two nights as guest for my friends wedding on the 25th jan 2013.

our room was disgusting dust behind the headboard and shower was unfit for use the water coulnd`nt make up its mind if it wanted to be freezing cold or so hot you could of boiled a egg with. it was also dirty which looked liked it had not been cleaned for months hair in the plug hole just nasty.

the evening meal was also nasty unfit to eat which it came out either cold or burnt or not what you order prior to arriving at the hotel.

the staff didnt have a clue on who to serve and was rude to everyone at the meal.

the kitchen it self was so poor looked like that nobody had cleaned it for a year.

everything from the floor and and fridge was black and greasy and bits of old mop on the floor which must of been their for a long period of time plus food on the floor aswell.

bed time was kept up by the sound of water running through some waste pipes in the wall so then i got the scottish night porter who was helpful and put us in a room down stairs at half past three in the morning.

the breakfast was even worse scramble eggs looked like they was cooked the night before and had burnt bits in and stained looking from the pot or saucepan they used. so i just had cornflakes and luke warm coffee instead.

the wedding of our friends was supereb and the party in the evening was fanstastic but the meal after the wedding was not great at all the food was either over cooked or was not what it should of been not nice at all.

it was a complete shambles from the second we walked through the door.

their was few staff that was polite and helpful but the rest of them were rude and had bad manners.

but everyone kept on with making sure that the bad performance of the staff at the hotel didnt ruin the our friends wedding day.

we just enjoyed our time to celebrate our friends wedding day.

day of leaving was good we couldnt get out the hotel quicker as we would of liked too.

when we went to pay the bill we was charged for the room we didnt stayed in at full price which when we told them of the problem we had they reduced it or we had to pay full price and wait for the manager to write to us if a full refund for that room. but we stood our grounds.

disgusted we had to pay for the room in the first place even when they halved the bill.

we just wanted to get out of there.

the entrance to get in is dangerous as you have to get the timming right as you pull out into the fast lane. so we went few miles until we could get round from the roundabout in bentley.

the drive is a single track which no one can give way if their was on coming traffic.

the hotel needs refurb and a new kitchen staff and management.

if you want to stay take ear plugs and eat out.

i shall never stay at this hotel ever again it was the hotel i ever stayed in and i am a shame to say i have worked in hotels and never come across a hotel that been run as this one.

i would say pick another hotel for your wedding this one will destroy your day as it did our friends.

choose another hotel,

if you stay at this one make sure you able to see all the rooms at the hotel i.e. bed rooms and make the point in seeing the kitchen aswell.

but honestly i would not hold a wedding or any other kind of party here.

outside from few yards looks fab inside poor.

Room Tip: the bar was good but small but tv was not working no signal
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank spikey71Berkshire
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I along with family and friends stayed at the hotel for a wedding. I have to say the Bride and Groom were fantastic, thats the only fantastic part. Staff polite, but managed to be dumb and rude at the same time. Food if you like pepper a huge amount of it then eat there, the best part of the food the whole 2 days experience was the buffet in the evening which was frozen and cooked. The rissotto was mushroom, but should have been called garlic so much not a clean plate was removed. Room was clean but I asked that my quilt cover be changed as it had mold on it, the person on the reception did not apologise, just shouted to an invisible person to change it. Then turned away and got on with something else, no manners at all. The main dinning room where the receiption took place had been hooved but only where you would see at a glance the back of the room the floor was a mess. The night before a friend had to clean the window sills before placing vases and candles dead flies and dirt.
I had a great time but that was because we were with family and friends, who made this great. If asked I would and will adivise people to keep clear of this place.

3  Thank Whitchy388
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
Frensham Pond Country house hotel & Spa
Alton House Hotel
Alton House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Alton
Premier Inn Aldershot Hotel

Been to Farnham House Hotel? Share your experiences!