“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
Bournemouth
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The hotel is in a lovely setting and a very quiet area despite the close proximity of the main road. The staff were wonderful - very attentive and polite as well as sensible. The food was very nice indeed with a good choice of freshly cooked items for breakfast. The room I had was quite large and nicely furnished and laid out. Overall it was very clean, the only complaint was that the shower curtain was a bit horrid at the bottom. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Angel58Bournemouth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
bournemouth
Reviewed January 30, 2012

The hotel is a pretty setting for weddings with its beams and grounds for photos. The duty staff were very helpful on the day whether directly involved in the wedding or not and as the parents of the groom it was handy to stay in the hotel and be on hand to help to organise things.

However, there were several disappointments. Firstly, the wedding planner lady was quite difficult to get hold of even by email when we wanted to ask questions and when we did speak to her she appeared somewhat casual about the planning of our son’s wedding day! Moreover, we made a request for extra bread and butter for the wedding breakfast, but it was not passed on and the cheese course comprised two crackers only per person, so most of the cheese went back to the kitchen! At £25 per cheese dish, surely there could have been more than two crackers!! How much do crackers cost after all? THAT was very disappointing!

We were mistakenly given the bridal suite when we arrived and had to move all our things from there to another room at 11.30pm, although the duty manager did help us. The second room also had a four poster bed but the mattress was very uncomfortable. I think it was probably the worst bed I have ever slept in!

When I took a shower I had to wait five minutes or more before the water ran hot, and when my wife took one she couldn’t get to get the temperature right at all and if that wasn’t enough the shower-head kept falling down and washing the wall. Oh, and we only one bath and one hand towel for our double room!

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Avoid Room 23!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bob g
HAVANT
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This is a lovely old house which looked very charming all dressed up for Christmas. About 30 of our extended family ate lunch here on Christmas Day. The staff were very attentive and had dressed the tables beautifully for Christmas. The meal was good and it was hot!
Our room was clean, very comfortable and warm. We would certainly stay here again and look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a 1st floor room if you have difficulty with stairs.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
London
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We stayed at this hotel when attending a wedding at Northbrook Park for which it is very convenient. Lovely country views from the front bedroon we stayed in. It is an "Arts+crafts" style house which means it feels older than it really is. It has a real country house feel - with a Scottish twist because of the taran carpet in much of the public rooms. Room was pleasant size - the bathroom was small but adequate. Reception staff were helpful in booking the return taxi to the wedding.

We pre-booked breakfast and it was a bargain. Huge choice of cooked breakfasts including fish, waffles, french toast. Good local produce used such as local jam, yogurt and good fresh bread. Just the thing for the morning after the night before.

The rating given is in relation to price charged good value for what was paid.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonDiT
Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2011

My fiance and I were considering this as a potential wedding venue. We made an informal visit which was very successful - definitely had the wow factor entrance. The lady on the desk and the man setting up the tables were both really helpful and made our visit enjoyable, despite the fact the venue was a bit tatty round the edges inside. We made an appointment to meet with the wedding planner with a view to pursuing this venue further. At this stage I was very disappointed. We were greeted by a very rude woman who barely looked up from her desk to say 'wedding is it?'. It seemed as though it was too much bother for her and she showed no understanding that we were discussing our big day. Upon discussing the costs she was particularly unhelpful and could not make any suggestions, not even suggesting different days of the week, times of the year or meal options. We were interested in the exclusive use hire which I had seen advertised on a board for £1750 and assumed this included the bedrooms, however in fact you were expected to fill all 24 rooms at £90 per room even though there were offers displayed around the hotel for rooms as half this price. When we asked to have a few minutes to talk she just sat and looked at us. When I repeated the request she told us we would have to move into the corridor (which was cold and draughty) even though I would see no reason why we could not stay in the bar area. At this point she went over to another couple in the bar area and began discussing their wedding with them. How ridiculous to book appointments so close together - we had only been there for 15 minutes at this point. In the end we didn't even have the opportunity to tell her that we were no longer interested as she did not come back to us.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hazel C

Travelers are raving about these Farnham hotels

twick
Reviewed November 23, 2011

What a beautiful building and the gardens are nice! The reception area is dated but very lovely, with tartan carpets and panelled wall's. Its very sweet. The bar area is very cute and has an open fire to snuggle next to.

The breakfast area is a disappointment. When I arrived at breakfast, the table I was put on had a dirty tablecloth. There was also a bluebottle having his breakfast on a sugar cube in the bowl on my table. Horrible!
The breakfast was nice but I was not offered any toast to go with my meal. I also wasn't told that I could help myself to cereal and o.j. It's a shame the staff are just not on the ball a little bit more. It really did put me off having dinner here.

My room was very comfortable. The bed was a dream to sleep in. It's just very dated. It needs a new coat of paint as the wall's and the carpet look dirty I also did not get a clean cup for tea. The cup I had used in the morning was the same one. It hadn't been washed, just put back upside down on the tray. Also the coffee was not replenished but everything else was!?

The shower is fine. Again just needs to be updated at it's very dark.

Really, this hotel could get another star if it just was updated and had a new company to come in and clean as the attention to detail is lacking especially the back of the toilet!

I will say the gentleman and lady on the front of house in the evening are just lovely and very helpful.

I would recommend this hotel for people that are staying for one or two nights and are not to fussed on a dated look and the cleanliness in some areas.

• Stayed November 2011
Wales, UK
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Staff were very welcoming, however the TV had no signal and the shower was very lame with its trickles of water. (Room 16 if you would like to review yourselves). There were only 3 portions of milk in the room, personally I think 4 would have been ample in order to have 2 cups of coffee. (but I could have easily asked for this) On the plus, bed was extremely comfy, breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice and the hotel itself was lovely with beautiful surroundings, I would stay there again, providing my needs above were catered for.
Thanks,
Nia Evans

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
Best Western Frensham Pond Hotel
#5 of 6 in Farnham
Aviator Hotel
Aviator Hotel
#1 of 7 in Farnborough

Been to Farnham House Hotel? Share your experiences!