“Friendly service great menu choices”
Review of Veer - CLOSED

Veer
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Hampshire
“Friendly service great menu choices”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Visited Veer as part of a group booking with a local charity group. - Had been to the restaurant under previous owners [The Banares] - the restaurant itself is informal and intimate but coped well with serving a large group. There were some minor issues as normal with a group booking when everyone orders together and eats at the same time But all in all a great night and coped better than some larger chain restaurants that claim to cater for groups. The menu choice is an excellent mix of traditional favourite and something new which offers something different from other South Asian Restaurants in the area. Would definitely return and recommend the restaurant for anyone wanting a change of venue for and evening out, especially couples escaping the hassle of children and wanting a quieter more intimate venue.

2 Thank Nixcails

Sandhurst, United Kingdom
“Tasty”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My first visit but I will definately return. The dishes I picked were a gamble as I'd never seen them on a menu before and I was very pleasantly surprised. Both very good especially the main which was tasty without being hot. I picked Chicken Papsila to start followed by Dum-Maro Lamb. My partner chose Onion Bhajee followed by Master Dabaang Chicken which were even better than my choices. The portion size was plenty, plates and food hot. Service was friendly. I recommend you give them a go. We were on a table of 12 having a range of dishes. All of our meals arrived together which doesn't happen everywhere. Everyone said they were impressed and would go back.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely amazing”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The food was lovely the staff was lovely the whole atmosphere was amazing will defently go again. And will referr othere people to them

1 Thank alisonstacey
Elstead
“Mediocre”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Veer is on the same site as the old Benares, a restaurant which I used to find reliably good. The rebranded Veer looks good from the outside and promises an "Indian Restaurant" experience instead of "Curry House".

Upon arrival we were seated and immediately offered popadums and a drink which was a good start. However, no Cobra available (really? how do you run out of Cobra?), just Kingfisher. And no Mongoose even on the menu which was a shame.

Popadums were nice and the dips looked good but weren't actually that great. All a bit watery and sickly to be honest.

The menu was interesting with some decent ideas on there, and maybe we selected wrongly, but they just didn't work. The food was bland, even the dishes with heat in them and for the first time in a long time, we didn't finish the food on the table.

The staff were friendly although we didn't need to be asked 5 times whether our meal was OK Maybe they suspected something. Paying was a bit of a farce too with the card machine not working for about 10 minutes, but that does happen sometimes I guess.

All in all, it was "OK". Not sure why they decided to rebrand from Benares (same staff, Benares charged to my card) but it didn't do it for me and we won't be hurrying back for a distinctly average meal at the higher end of the indian food price range in this area (£27 a head for food + 2 drinks each). £4.50 for a pint of coke was taking the mickey as well.....

UK
“Interesting new dishes”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We visited Veer after a friend who lives nearby suggested it. I have to say that this place has a very different menu with a vast variety of differant from the normal dishes. There were even extra dip incl tarrimind and a pink coconut. Well worth the visit and will return

• Visited April 2013