“Expensive for what you get”

Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Expensive for what you get”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

The main part of the hotel is rather dated, and rooms could do with an urgent modernisation and change of furniture... having said this, the room we received was spacious, modern and clean, with a patio out onto the inner court yard (we were in a new section of the hotel which clearly had been either decorated / built). However for over £200 for the one night stay, I would have expected a lot, lot more. The bar area was small and looked in need of decorating and for example changing the carpets and chairs which you could tell had seen a number of years service!
We decided to have breakfast in bed the next morning, again although the food was ok... ish, for £200 a night, plus extra for the service I again would expect more than a single croissant and what looked like airplane food for the English breakfast.... The staff however were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the new wing rather than the main part of the hotel and at least the rooms dont look...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank Steve and Pauli... B
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay to the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
We are pleased to read that you liked the service and friendliness of the staff, but are sorry to read that you found your stay to be expensive for what you received

Our pricing is based on the demand in the area and on this occasion the area was extremely busy around the Farnborough air show.

With regards to the breakfast you received, I am sorry that you thought it to be insufficient. Please be aware that you can order as much as you wish from our large breakfast menu. Simply tick the boxes for the items you wish to be brought up to your room and we will bring them accordingly.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope that you will re-visit our hotel in the not too distant future.

Tony Tijhuis, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Turkish first
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I always look forward to staying in a Mercure, because I have confidence that it will be a quality hotel and a relaxing stay, and the Bush Hotel was not disappointing. Although an old building that is clearly showing it's age and the carpets are looking a little tired etc. it is a lovely hotel. Rooms are comfortable and spacious, staff are pleasant and welcoming. There was a function on the night I stayed and the staff were stretched to their limits (come on Mercure, invest a little more in the best assets that you have, they deserve it!) but they still presented themselves well, service was quick and courteous and the food was good quality, if a little lacking in portion size.
If I ever need to stay in this area again, the Bush Hotel will be on top of my list of hotels to use.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback, following your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.

We appreciate your loyalty to Mercure and the fact that you enjoyed our hotel as well.
It is also nice to read that you liked our bedrooms and I will pass on your comments regarding the pleasant welcome, the quick and courteous service and the good quality of our food to my team, which I am convinced will be a great motivator for them.

We hope to welcome you back soon.
KInd regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We booked at this hotel for a Thursday night after a wedding which was just outside of Farnham. Have to say we were pleasantly surprised by both the customer service and hotel itself. We didn't think our room would be ready when we arrived, and didn't mind, but when we checked-in they said it was, much to our delight. So we were able to leave our bags and have a last freshen up. The room itself was lovely - we were in a ground-floor one overlooking the gardens. It was simple and functional but was clean and big so had no complaints. The reception staff ordered us a taxi and even complimented me on my look for the wedding! The next morning the breakfast was really good, offering a variety of things. We weren't offered the choice of other things on the breakfast menu, but given our hungover state I think we rushed to the buffet rather than stop and listen! We also left our car in the carpark longer so we could walk around the town and this was fine with the staff. All in all a functional, yet very satisfactory stay and made the whole wedding experience even more enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
I was pleased to read that you very much enjoyed your stay with us.
I will pass on your feedback regarding the room, our breakfast and our service to all involved, which I am sure will be a great encouragement for them.

We are happy that you had a great time and hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Bush Hotel soon.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I sometimes wonder how reviews can vary, and having re-visited this hotel following a successful trip last year I now see why.

We used this hotel as a Saturday evening stopover during our weekend at Goodwood FOS. I emailed a few days prior to our arrival checking our room reservation and advised of our arrival time. Hotel Sales Manager duly emailed back and confirmed all ok.

What she failed to tell us was there would be a 'Town Centre' & road closures from 5.30 to 7.30pm, right across our arrival time of 6-7pm! This created a massive tailback from the Goodwood traffic, and we queued from nearly 45mins to be told by the local police to head back out of town and arrive an hour later! (Hotel is right in centre of Town).

After a very long day, this was the last thing we wanted to do, so headed round the opposite side of Town & parked up somewhere, walking in but having to then return later to collect the car.

To be fair the Duty Manager apologised profusely (admitting guests should had been warned), and gave us a room rate reduction, but the damage was done. To rub salt in the wound the Sales Manager then emailed me after our return advising she was on the Carnival team but blamed the weather!

The room was allegedly an upgrade, and whilst nice in the older part of the hotel, and did have air conditioning but was nothing special and also not as nice as the room we had last year - I had specifically requested a room in the same block. (We didn't get as a room change had also been done prior to our arrival from my request). The hairdryer was a hazard, an old one taken off the bathroom wall but left in the drawer with the old wall attachment left on and smelt like it was going to blow up. There were no tea bags in the room either,but we had gotten fed up of complaining by this time.

My ratings are therefore lower on this occasion, as we felt so let down.

Very disappointing,and big note if thinking of using for Goodwood FOS, ensure not the Carnival weekend and give Farnham a massive miss!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Mercure Fanham Bush Hotel.
I was sorry to read about your disappointment with your stay. Our reservations manager should have highlighted that the carnival would take place that afternoon so that you would have been aware of the situation and able to decide what alternative time to come.

On previous carnival days the police have never closed roads for long periods. They generally use temporary road closures of less than half an hour, whereby roads are re-opened as soon as the carnival cars have passed. On this occasion they kept the roads closed for a longer time, which was far more inconvenient. This was as a result of poor weather earlier in the day, which had caused damage to the carnival vehicles, which were subsequently being repaired to look nice again. This was not part of the planning and caused long delays, which is what our manager explained to you. This doesn't take away from the fact that we should have prewarned you that the carnival was on in the first place and for that we were all very sorry.

I had also noted your feedback regarding the hair dryer and the tea and have taken the necessary actions for replacements and to avoid re-occurrence.
Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope I get the opportunity of welcoming you back for a hassle free experience the next time you return to the local area.

Yours sincerely,

Tony Tijhuis, General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Farnham hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights while on business in Farnham. It's set smack bang in the centre with every amenity a very short walk away. The room I had I found very nice, it was like stepping back in time. I'm certain it's not to everyone's tastes but I found it a welcome change from the typical chain hotel, and the decor fits in nicely with the surrounding area, and the exterior of the building, very cosy indeed! The staff were all very friendly and helpful particularly Rebecca on reception, as I had an issue with a room service order not being delivered however she was extremely professional, polite and solved my issue quickly and to my satisfaction. The negatives? The rooms could probably do with a little touching up with a paint brush, and I would've loved air conditioning in my room as it was so hot I had to sleep with the window open (fortunately it's very quiet) although it could be something to do with the building and they may not be allowed to install it, I don't know. As previously mentioned I did have an issue with my room service order being forgotten, but it was sorted out very quickly, I often find that when mistakes happen, it's how they're dealt with that determines the difference between poor to average service, and exceptional service. Overall, it's a lovely hotel, set in peaceful, beautiful surroundings, not everyone will go for the old style decoration, but personally I found it very pleasing, hence why I would be more than happy to stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback following your recent stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed it and appreciate your feedback regarding our customer service. I will pass on your comments to Rebecca, which I am confident will motivate her.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

uk
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a wedding. Positives always first. The outside of the building looks good, and inside the reception and general decor looks lovely. As you drive in to the hotel car park you get a feeling that the hotel is going to be good, The gardens create a feeling like you are in a hidden space you never would know was there in Farnham. The location meant that at night time it was nice and quiet which was great. The negatives. The room we had needed an update, the corridors and the room looked a little bit shabby at the edges and seems over due for a refurbishment. The bathroom had cracked tiles on the floor and the shower head unfortunately was covered with limescale. My only other complaint is with the pillows on the bed, they were rock hard! Overall not a bad night stop, and not bad for a three star hotel.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
I am pleased to read that you liked our gardens, which offer a nice calm setting for our hotel.

I also note your feedback regarding the room, which will be updated soon. Whilst this is being sorted, we have meanwhile organized for the bathroom floor to be retiled and apologize it had some cracks in it.

We will continue to further improve on our facilities and do hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Tony Tijhuis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
The Hog's Back Hotel & Spa Farnham
#1 of 7 in Farnborough
Holiday Inn Farnborough
Holiday Inn Farnborough
#6 of 7 in Farnborough

Been to Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel? Share your experiences!