“Magical atmosphere”
Review of Birdworld

Birdworld
Ranked #3 of 24 things to do in Farnham
More attraction details
Owner description: Set in 26 acres of landscaped gardens, Birdworld is one of the largest bird parks in the UK. In addition to birds from around the world, Birdworld also has an aquarium, Underwater World and the Jenny Wren farm featuring creatures great and small.During a visit there are lots of daily events including penguin feeding, animal encounters and the amazing Outdoor Flying Display (Easter- End October). Not to be missed is Penguin Beach, a fantastic walk through exhibit featuring a colony of African Penguins and new aviaries include’ Wings of Love’ the Lovebird aviary and ‘Outback Landing’ a walk through Budgie feeding exhibit.Birdworld has numerous catering outlets but also plenty of space for picnics and with two well-stocked gift shops you will find everything you need for a great day out.
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Birdworld has provided my family with great days out since my daughter was a baby. It's perfect for pushing a buggy round, with so much for children to point at - and the birds are amazing, there's everything from enormous ostriches and pelicans to tiny finches and budgies, toucans, owls, vultures, and some stunning exotic species such as the Lilac Breasted Roller which is worth the entrance fee alone, and is friendly enough to peck food from your hand (through the enclosure bars, of course). You can buy freeze dried meal worms, then play tricks on your children - by squeezing the container the worms seem to be alive!! Screams of horror! My daughter is now 10 but still loves petting the animals at the Jenny Wren farm, and visiting the aquarium - included with the entrance fee. I find the place therapeutic, full of great bird calls, colour and interest. Fantastic for artists or photographers. Loved the new(ish) aviary where you can mix with the budgies: the joyful chirruping gives you a lift. Though we were shunned (as usual) by Boris, the Great Grey owl. He is very shy.

Mark A, Manager at Birdworld, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Many thanks for your review. It is great to hear from someone who really appreciates our fantastic birds! So pleased also to hear you enjoyed the budgies in Outback Landing. I never get tired of going in there myself to enjoy the constant chatter and interaction. I do hope that we can welcome your family back to Birdworld for many more years to come. Thanks again.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I've visited Birdworld on many occasions, during all the seasons, with my latest visit being in December 2012, and was genuinely surprised to read one or two unfavourable reviews on TripAdvisor. I can say with absolute conviction that a visit to ANY park or attraction in inclement weather is, and always will be, what you make it.

Birdworld provides lovely gardens, a well stocked and nicely laid out farm, a fabulous garden centre and a wide selection of exhibits and shows, interest for children can also be created by a little parental enthusiasm and effort.

Birdworld's staff are genuinely as friendly, accommodating and helpful as Disneyland's finest, and if you stop to read the information boards, watch the shows, actually watch the birds and dedicate a little time to preparing a picnic or appreciating the hot food in the restaurant you can't fail to enjoy your day.

I've visited with my family in the middle of winter in the worst weather imaginable. And guess what, we had a fabulous time! From taking photographs of the kids under brightly coloured umbrellas with the rainbow-hued parrots preening in the background to splashing through puddles pretending to be penguins we put the effort into our kids day and they in turn loved every minute.

Instead of marching straight through the park take a moment to grab a leaflet, plan your visit around the shows and appreciate being greeted by the resident flamingos (all of whom glow 'Pink Panther magenta' no matter what the weather)!

We got some of our best family photos ever in the free-flying birds enclosure, where tame budgies swoop over your heads, chirping hysterically before stopping to perch on your shoulder or an outstretched finger.

From Penguin Beach, where curious Humboldt penguins dash towards you barking for a free fish, to Jenny Wren Farm where you can take home a piece of the park from their own pet shop (they have a fabulous selection of everything from guinea pigs to goats and chickens to buy!) you can make a cracking family day out in any weather at Birdworld.

My advice during any season is dress for the weather, take your camera, get stuck in and have some fun. Take advantage of everything the park has to offer and give it the time it deserves, it IS worth it!

1  Thank Suzesmith72
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Not a great combination of qualities - pricing and boring. This has fallen behind the times. Go to Paulton Park for the same money and spend 15 minutes looking at their birds before enjoying yourself on the rides.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Bird World coupled with its mini farm is a great activity day for youngsters. The variety of birds on display is good . A bit of research before hand as to Penguin feeding times will pay off. There are themed activities during the holidays

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have membership to birdworld, which makes our day trips really cost effective. There is so much to do and see and they are constantly upgrading the enclosures. The staff are very friendly and my 3 year old now knows far more than I ever did about birds and farm animals. We did the winter wonderland for the 1st time today and was very impressed. I saw other kids coming out with great ranges of presents, Santa was lovely and had time to talk to my children. The decorations were great and the staff must have spent ages setting it all up. I really loved it and will definitely be renewing my membership next year.