“It's a Cafe” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anderson's - CLOSED

Anderson's
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Friendly, independent and individual makes Anderson's the ideal location to relax and unwind for single dining, intimate dinners, catching up with friends, and meetings.
Farnham, United Kingdom
“It's a Cafe”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I was always keen to try this restaurant as it seemed to get such good reviews but I was always put off by the exterior decor. It looks a bit like a cafe from the outside and not an evening venue. That remains my impression after eating there. The restaurant is far too brightly lit and feels a bit like a cafe-diner. I can't get on at all with the confusing decor inside, sort of trying to be art deco but failing and then there is the huge figure of a woman that looks completely out of place.

The food was good. My steak was medium and mot medium rare as I had ordered and maybe I am a bit of a food snob but being served with grilled tomatoes smacks of pub lunch and not restaurant. The garlic butter I had with it was served already melted in a ramekin rather than still chilled and ready for me to put on my steak to melt. My fellow guests all enjoyed their food but we did all find the menu a real mix of cafe/pub offerings and some restaurant options. It was a bit jumbled and some dishes got repeated under different headings.

The service was attentive and helpful if a little too informal. I did object to one girl going round with the disinfectant cleaner and cloth tucked under her arm and cleaning the vacated tables around us - I almost expected her to start putting the chairs up turned on the tables. It really did feel like a cafe at this point. I also didn't like the fact that having all traipsed in from the rain, the waitress came to greet us, sliding a cloth under her foot and mopping up the rain water from the floor near the door with it whilst talking to us. If she'd been chewing gum the it would have completed the image.

As a cafe, this place is fine but I wouldn't go back for an evening meal unless they seriously trimmed down and refined their menu and changed the decor/lighting.

AHGA, Owner at Anderson's, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Thank you for your response, we are sorry you did not enjoy your visit to Anderson's.
I wish you had mentioned your concerns before leaving so that we had the opportunity to discuss them with you.
We are a small independent restaurant and our aim has always been to provide a warm friendly atmosphere with quality wholesome food that can be adapted to individual requirements. The larger choice allows customers with food allergies to eat from a regular menu.
The decor is not to every ones taste and may seem a little confusing but that is partly due to the encouragemnet we give local artists who hang their work, which can interfere with original ideas.
We appreciate floor drying is not best in front of customers but when any floor is wet we must take the safety of our customers seriously and dry floors immediately.

As we take all comments seriously we will be considering placing comment cards on the tables rather than the book that is on the bar and not visible to all tables.

Farnham, England, United Kingdom
“PIE NIGHT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Thanks for a super start to the week. As always great food with excellent service. Could not be better on a cold Monday night with the snow only just gone. Delicious short crust steak and mushroom pie to warm you through with freshly made soup to start - all accompanied by some Hogs Back Brewery "Tea"!

Morse, Farnham

AHGA, Manager at Anderson's, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Thank you for your kind response, please remember if you have a favourite Pie let Stuart know. Hope to see you soon
Haslemere, United Kingdom
“The lunch that time forgot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Trying to avoid the inevitable chain restaurants in Farnham we pitched up at Andersons for Sunday Lunch. "Fresh Fish from Brixham" the board outside trumpeted, and we eagerly went inside, to an almost empty restaurant at 1.30 pm. No matter, we sat down and stared in amazement at the vinyl- foldered and laminated menu, something I haven't seen since 1986 while the charming and motherly waiting staff fussed around and took out order. I asked for the fresh fish of the day only to be told there wasn't any, I then asked, in a fit of nostalgia, for the scampi and chips, but there wasn't any of that either. I was offered a piece of cod, baked or grilled (clearly the notion of making fish goujon and serving in lieu of scampi was beyond the chef, as I asked and got a totally blank look) and it came fat and juicy but unseasoned and plain.
The rest of the food was all of a quality I could have knocked up myself at home with a migraine, ham and eggs came with cold ham and no arguing "it's cold ham" we were sternly told, ditto the prawns in the prawn and chorizo 'salad' were stone cold. The Yorkshire pudding was flabby and undercooked, the vegetables lifeless and limp.
This place tries really really hard, the staff are delightful, but the chef needs a rocket up his bum, and advertising food you do not have is unacceptable. Next time we'll take the in-laws to Loch Fyne.

1 Thank Aprilchalk
AHGA, Manager at Anderson's, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your comments and we are sorry you did not enjoy your visit to Anderson's. Being a small independent restaurant we do buy in smaller supplies than the larger chain restaurants and therefore occassionally we do sell out of certain items. It's a shame you were unable to discuss your points when you were talking to myself and the chef on the day which would have given us an opportunity to correct the issue immediatley.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Not really sure what all the fuss is about here... The food was fine, if a little over priced. It was presently nicely but the atmosphere the night we went was distinctly lacking and the general feel of the evening was a bit dated; from the decor & music to the food and menu choices.
It was some time ago that me and my boyfriend went so maybe we should give it another go as the other reviews seem to rave about this place!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Suzi C
AHGA, Owner at Anderson's, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your feed back, we are sorry to hear your visit wasn't as you expected. We do welcome all comments and adjust our service when applicable. We are a small independent restaurant and appreciate we do not have a corporate modern feel/ image as many of the chain restaurants. We are in the planning stages of a refit so your comments have been very useful to us.

Farnham, United Kingdom
“Consistent excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

This restaurant just on the edge of Farnham town is well worth a visit. From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave you are well looked after. Excellent food and service

AHGA, Owner at Anderson's, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments, we look forward to seeing you agin soon