“Great Pub”

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Lovely Sunday lunch after a great walk in the area. Very nice staff good choice of food, and although busy we were not rushed.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Stopped for a couple of beers and a bite to eat in the garden. Food was prompt and faultless. Painless service thanks to satellite bar in the garden.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

if i could, i would give this 9/10 rather than 4/5. well, in the 1980's this pub was a grubby, down at heel, bikers pub. everyone then went to the pub on the green at tilford. greeted by the worlds largest car park (for a mid sized pub), the initials omens are good. the landscape gardeners employed by the owners made a good job of the external landscaping, including the car park itself, the children's play area and the external bar area. all ideal for the Farnham masses and jodpur clad surrey horsey types to descend to.

excellent choice of real ales, interesting food menu and an internal refurbishment/decor befitting an old pub. all beer, wine and food menu pricing that i saw was par for the course for this type of pub in the affluent south. i have no idea why the whining reviewer "nikki23" complains of expensive food, maybe she should say in MaccyD's.

now the service: we went on a saturday lunchtime. we had not booked a table though were fortunate to only have to wait five minutes for one to become available. the young foreign girl whose name i cant remember, took us from the initial finding of the table all the way to the generous cash tip on the final conclusion of the visit. this girl was the best waitress that i have ever encountered at any restaurant, ever, and not just those reviewed on tripadvisor. she had it all: efficiency, courtesey, eye contact, smiles and a genuine interest. if only there were more out there like her, it really is not that difficult, and it makes such a difference to the overall experience and enjoyment of the visit. Bravo to her and the ownership on finding her!

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Our first visit to this highly rated pub was not a disappointment. We visited on a quiet weekday lunchtime and enjoyed the sun on the peaceful and attractive terrace. A welcome break in the middle of an idyllic walk this pub provided great food (we enjoyed a club sandwich and halloumi salad) and efficient service. Loved the fact that they immediately brought a bottle of chilled water to the tables without us having to ask. Quite pricey but will definitely return in the future.

Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

I visited the Duke Of Cambridge with some friends today this sunny bank holiday. The garden is gorgeous with a little hut that sells drinks and a BBQ menu. It was a great atmosphere and my friends 2 year old son very much enjoyed the playground.
These things said, the menu was on the expensive side for what you got, a burger which was pretty tasteless and small portion of potato salad for £10. I was also quite disappointed with the service. They were clearly struggling on a very busy afternoon (our food took one hour to come) and perhaps they needed more staff on but the staff that were there really didn't seem to want to be there. We had ordered some chips on the side (as the burgers don't come with them) and these weren't delivered. We asked after them and the young girl just looked at us and said "yeah- they're coming"...on going inside the pub to find the loo I encountered another young woman who I asked if she could direct me to the bathroom- she looked at me as if I had been very rude and rolled her eyes- she then said "it's over there" in a very condescending tone.
A real shame as the pub itself is gorgeous and perhaps on a less busy day the systems would run better...

Julian C, Owner at The Duke of Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Thank you for your recent review when you visited the Duke of Cambridge. I am pleased that you found our location enjoyable but I was disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations with regard to the food and service and that overall our service was particularly disappointing for which I am sincerely sorry. All your feedback has been shared with our team as this is certainly not the experience we look to deliver for all our guests despite how busy we are.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and please accept my apologies again for not delivering our usual standards to you.

If you would like to discuss this matter further I would welcome the opportunity to do so and I can be contacted via the Duke.

Regards

Julian Clarke - Director.