“Dreadful....sadly one of our worst night's sleep in a hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bishops Table

The Bishops Table
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
Midlands
“Dreadful....sadly one of our worst night's sleep in a hotel”
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Booked in late (as pre arranged) Friday 30th Aug, to be presented with a room that was smelling damp, bathroom shabby and old....and when we asked for an alternative, the 2nd option was identical!....'No other rooms' available so that was that.... too late to find other options.
The bed was actually just 4' wide, and whilst listed as a double, it actually meant that one partner had to lay on their side, if the other was sleeping 'flat'......
Poor lighting, only one beside table and lamp, and noise from other rooms & TVs etc....it was dreadful.
After just a few hours limited rest, breakfast loomed, but it didn't improve much....the order was taken but the chef got it wrong,....further delays and overall pretty shabby.
This could be a good place, it is well situated, but sadly is well past it's best...and best avoided. Unless you are sleeping on your own!....

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank redsal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
London
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Stayed here after a local wedding. On the oustide it all looks quite promising, but the reception is shabby as are the public rooms. Our bedroom was a good size but dark and dingy (too much greenery in the garden blocking out any light) the bathroom clean-ish but in desperate need of modernisation. The bed was uncomfortable and the smallest double I have ever slept in. Roll one way and I was on the floor, roll the other way and I was on top of my partner. The garden COULD be lovely but absolutely no signs of any decent or proper maintenance of it. Stayed at the Bush in Farnham last year which was far better. Would not stay here again, I'm afraid.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ABH1975

Travelers are raving about these Farnham hotels

dorset
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. A group of us stayed there for 2 nights in June 2009 for a wedding and we were very unsatisfied by the standard of accommodation and level of service received.

The outside of the hotel looks an acceptable standard as does the entrance and breakfast room, but when we got up to the rooms we found wallpaper hanging off the walls, curtains hanging off the poles, a number of lights in each room not working and the bathrooms not up to standard for the price we paid for the rooms. One room had not been changed from a twin to a double and the service received from reception was appalling, unhelpful and on the border of being rude. Getting information from the staff was like getting blood out of a stone.

We booked the rooms a year ago and when notified that there was no car park at the hotel we were assured we could park in the nearby long stay car park and our ticket costs would be refunded. When we arrived the staff didn’t even direct us to a car park and were not keen on refunded the ticket prices.

I feel the hotel has a lot of potential, and from a small amount of effort (such as changing broken light bulbs and putting a sign in reception to direct guests to the nearest car park) the standard here could be greatly improved. The only staff member we met who was helpful and deserved a mention was the night duty manager, the others could do with some lessons in politeness and enthusiasm for their jobs.

Although the breakfast was cooked fresh and tasted lovely it was somewhat ruined by the wrong orders being brought out 3 times and eventually all 4 members of the table eating the meal all at 4 different times. I feel this is not the way a hotel should be run and was not a good enough standard for the £100 a night we were asked to pay.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank DorsetMeg
London
Reviewed June 4, 2009

We booked the Bishops Table for a Saturday night stay end of May for a friends' wedding nearby. The website promises a boutique hotel, with lovely photos and a modern, chic look to the hotel and bedrooms....sadly the reality is tired, small rooms just large enough for a double bed, a window that didn't close (so no security in a ground floor room), a bathroom with cracked tiles and a sink that didn't drain. There was a kettle, trouser press, and other "extras" but to be honest the money spent on those would be better spent on updating the rooms. For the price of £105 for a double, this is overpriced and the management did acknowledge all our comments and reduce the price to £90 a good will gesture. A better option, in my opinion, is where the rest of our friends stayed being the Mercure Bush Hotel for modern, clean rooms for £70 a night with breakfast.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brimms
South Wales, uk.
Reviewed May 19, 2009

The hotel is conveniently situated near the centre of Farnham, the room was large but tired. Staff were in general freindly, breakfast was very good. We were unable to get a drink at the bar at 11.15 pm we were told that the bar shuts at 11. The big minus is the lack of parking space. If you arrive after 5pm you can easily park around the corner untill 10am the following day. All in all adequate for a short stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Farnborough
Reviewed April 23, 2009

Great Staff, clean& crisp rooms & lovely garden.

I highly recommend this hotel not only for corporate business people but also for couples . you will not realise the garden and space in the back of the hotel which is very very relaxing.Overall I had a wonderful time and with the kind of staff they have with some updating they will be the number 1 hotel for sure in farnham if not the entire surroundings.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2008

The Bishops Table is very central in Farnham and the well worn phrase ''Parking a bit of a problem'' certainly applies here. There is no designated hotel parking and they rely on the nearby library to allow guests to use about 5 spaces after the library closes and before it opens the next day.

The hotel is smart, rooms of a reasonable size and I had no issues overall with my stay. The beds were comfortable but I have to mention that the TV I watched will feature soon on the ''Antiques Roadshow'' The bathroom was also very small - The size of a large wardrobe in fact.

The hotel offers a ''full english breakfast'' I was therfore very surprised to receive a bemused look from the waiter when I requested baked beans and brown sauce. He looked at me with a very confused look and I was at the point of explaining to him what a baked bean was before I rationalised that there was little point and it was futile to continue the conversation.

When I pursued my enquiry the replies I got were '' Hmmm we havent been asked for beans for a long long time'' and ''Brown sauce, lets see let me think, we might have some somewhere out the back of the kitchen, not really something thats asked for here'' were the responses.

To most English people breakfast is the most important meal of the day and a ''Full English'' to most people is defined as at least sausage, bacon,eggs beans, tomato and fried bread - With the addition of mushrooms, hash browns and occasionally black pudding. Brown sauce IS a breakfast sauce and is 99.99999% of the time on the table.

I could not believe I actually had to explain to the hotel that, far from beans and brown sauce being unusual requests, they are in fact, ingredients of a full English breakfast. Had I entered a parralel universe where certain things we take for granted do not exist here? perhaps that explains the very short menu for evening meals? maybe no one ever asks for potatoes or dare I say it......a steak? !!!!

There is, as I have already hinted at, a very limited dinner menu of about 5 items ( almost all Far Eastern dishes ) My colleague has though eaten from it and tells me that in fairness the food is of a very good standard.

A nice touch is the free fresh ground coffee thats available 24 hours a day to guests. The gardens out the back are also very relaxing

Overall I felt the staff were excellent, the rooms very clean and comfortable. However unless the Bishops Table wants to be classed as an upmarket B&B then it needs to address and expand its evening menu. Correct its breakfast menu, spend some money on new TV sets and look at making some arrangement with the local council for guests to use a publc car park at a reduced rate during their stay.

The Bishop's Table - A hotel to stay at for business - As a honeymoon or family break.....I dont think so

• Liked — The staff are very friendley
  • Disliked — nothing has the ''wow'' factor about the Bishops Table...the mpst exciting part of staying there is the free coffee machine
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank sleepmaster1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel
#5 of 6 in Farnham
Aviator Hotel
Aviator Hotel
#1 of 8 in Farnborough

Been to The Bishops Table? Share your experiences!