“Very English, needs an upgrade”
Review of The Bishops Table

The Bishops Table
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This hotel in central Farnham is conveninetly situated for shopping & seeing the pleasing town of Farnham. The arrangements for late-night guests is good; a security number is given to open the front door. The Reception area is pleasant & there is a very nice garden at the back; the rooms opening onto this are quiet. Rooms overlooking the High St could be noisy early in the morning. My room, No 8, was very small. The bathroom was fine, toiletries generous & although there was only a shower, I prefer that. There was central heating, (needed in this English Summer!) a new TV & a window which opened wide. Free wi-fi access was possible in my room but some rooms can't receive this, so a fee is payable. The Public areas do offer free w-fi.
I felt my room was tired & undistinguished; more thought needs to be put into making such small rooms pleasant. I would not return because it failed to please me. But you could stay comfortably enough; I require a little more from a hotel than was offered here.

Room Tip: 8 & 9 are small & quiet. 14 is quite good. Avoid front rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 5, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel right in downtown Farnham. walking distance to everything in town including the train station to London. We stayed a total of 5 nights because we were there for 2 family weddings. The rooms are clean and each one has its own character. They vary in size. There is also a beautiful outside courtyard with picnic tables. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at The Bishop's Table for three nights at the beginning of June 2012 and, having read previous reviews, were pleased that it was not the unpleasant experience we were fearing.

We used the hotel as a base for a family wedding in the area and found it perfectly adequate for this purpose. Our party stayed in rooms 3, 4 and 5 and they were clean and comfortable, although I would comment that the pillows in our room (3) were terrible - only one miserably thin and cheap effort each.

The reception staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast quite good, although a proper fresh fruit salad would have made the continental breakfast bettter value and the coffee was poor.

There was a nice garden at the back and I wondered what it was used for as the hotel seemed under-used. The bar, although smart, was OK for a quick drink before going out, but it was expensive and not somewhere I would spend an evening.

As a base, this hotel is fine.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel on business for the past three years, and it does seem to be deteriorating. The staff are pleasant, but the rooms are very tired. During my recent visit I noticed badly fraying upholstery under the bed, unpleasant discolouration to the tiles in the tiny bathroom and a general air of neglect. The bed's mattress was rock hard and so it was impossible to sleep. It's just become rather a depressing place to be.

Room Tip: Avoid the annexe.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I was booked into the Bishops Table by a friend and was expecting the worst given most of the reviews on this site. However, although it wasn't the most luxurious hotel, it did exceed my expectations. The man on reception was very friendly, and very helpful to our entire party. The room (number 7), although slightly dated, was clean and spacious. It was quite warm in the hotel, but there was a fan in the room and all the windows opened fully. The breakfast in the morning I thought was quite good - plenty of juice, fruit and cereal, and the full english was surprisingly delicate, and didn't leave us feeling stodgy for the rest of the morning. I would stay again if I was in Farnham.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I was warned to stay away from this place by colleagues and some of the reviews but I think it's not so bad really. The room I had was a decent size, the bathroom very basic. Couldn't get internet to work in the room which was a little annoying. There is something of a garden to sit in and relax. The bar and restaurant looked smart, though I didn't try either. For the price and location, it did the job. I'd say again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank alexsw1
Reviewed October 23, 2011

After seeing mixed reviews I thought I'd take a gamble, hoping that this privately owned townhouse in the centre of farnham may have some kind of unique charm, but it didnt.
The rooms arent just dated (period rooms with character I can handle, even if they are a bit shabby) but these are newly built/furnished rooms. Rather than 18th century, think 70's upward.
On the whole the stay was ok, no big issues, certainly nothing to raise with the management particularly. Our towels were marked slightly, perhaps dropped on the way to the room, and our two calls to reception were not answered.
I think this is just a bad a choice compared to some of the other hotels in Farnham, and I can understand now why the room images on the website are limited.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joe B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel
Farnham House Hotel
Farnham House Hotel
#5 of 6 in Farnham
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England

Been to The Bishops Table? Share your experiences!