“Quite Good!”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
Penzance
“Quite Good!”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at The Bishop's Table for three nights at the beginning of June 2012 and, having read previous reviews, were pleased that it was not the unpleasant experience we were fearing.

We used the hotel as a base for a family wedding in the area and found it perfectly adequate for this purpose. Our party stayed in rooms 3, 4 and 5 and they were clean and comfortable, although I would comment that the pillows in our room (3) were terrible - only one miserably thin and cheap effort each.

The reception staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast quite good, although a proper fresh fruit salad would have made the continental breakfast bettter value and the coffee was poor.

There was a nice garden at the back and I wondered what it was used for as the hotel seemed under-used. The bar, although smart, was OK for a quick drink before going out, but it was expensive and not somewhere I would spend an evening.

As a base, this hotel is fine.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
UK
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel on business for the past three years, and it does seem to be deteriorating. The staff are pleasant, but the rooms are very tired. During my recent visit I noticed badly fraying upholstery under the bed, unpleasant discolouration to the tiles in the tiny bathroom and a general air of neglect. The bed's mattress was rock hard and so it was impossible to sleep. It's just become rather a depressing place to be.

Room Tip: Avoid the annexe.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I was booked into the Bishops Table by a friend and was expecting the worst given most of the reviews on this site. However, although it wasn't the most luxurious hotel, it did exceed my expectations. The man on reception was very friendly, and very helpful to our entire party. The room (number 7), although slightly dated, was clean and spacious. It was quite warm in the hotel, but there was a fan in the room and all the windows opened fully. The breakfast in the morning I thought was quite good - plenty of juice, fruit and cereal, and the full english was surprisingly delicate, and didn't leave us feeling stodgy for the rest of the morning. I would stay again if I was in Farnham.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London, Uk
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I was warned to stay away from this place by colleagues and some of the reviews but I think it's not so bad really. The room I had was a decent size, the bathroom very basic. Couldn't get internet to work in the room which was a little annoying. There is something of a garden to sit in and relax. The bar and restaurant looked smart, though I didn't try either. For the price and location, it did the job. I'd say again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank alexsw1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2011

After seeing mixed reviews I thought I'd take a gamble, hoping that this privately owned townhouse in the centre of farnham may have some kind of unique charm, but it didnt.
The rooms arent just dated (period rooms with character I can handle, even if they are a bit shabby) but these are newly built/furnished rooms. Rather than 18th century, think 70's upward.
On the whole the stay was ok, no big issues, certainly nothing to raise with the management particularly. Our towels were marked slightly, perhaps dropped on the way to the room, and our two calls to reception were not answered.
I think this is just a bad a choice compared to some of the other hotels in Farnham, and I can understand now why the room images on the website are limited.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joe B

Travelers are raving about these Farnham hotels

Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Booked in for a sunday night stopover; restuarant closed ("wedding earlier in the day") - room adequate but bathroom really poor and shabby - bath panel loose, shelving falling of wall, wc rocking on it's fixing and digusting caulking around shower screen - awful.
The management expressed surprise when I gave them the same feedback - enough said!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SILVERTRAVELLERS_11
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Similar to what other's have said here. Me and a friend stayed for a wedding. The downstairs is clean and modern but the bedrooms are in need of re-decoration. Peeling paint in the bathrooms and we couldn't open the windows in our room - one of them was boarded up. The beds - 2 singles - were child sized. We are both petite people and struggled not to fall out of them, even though the room was spacious. It was super hot in the night mainly as I discovered due to the central heating being on! In August! We got a special rate but if you had paid the full rate £100 you would be massively over-paying for this hotel. We were also told we couldn't check in till 2pm even though we had specified in our booking we needed the room earlier. (Although the receptionist did do his best to sort it out for us). Also we rang reception to ask for an iron and had to go downstairs as there was no answer - the receptionist was chatting on their mobile to a friend - ignoring the main phone. Wouldn't stay again - there are loads of other hotels that seemed better in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank itsaimii
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel
#1 of 7 in Farnborough
Alton House Hotel
Alton House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Alton

Been to The Bishops Table? Share your experiences!