“Don't have a birthday party here”
Review of Hobbledown

Hobbledown
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Epsom
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hobbledown is a multi-award winning adventure park and zoo
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed February 8, 2014

So disappointed, we had our sons 1st birthday here and it was a complete let down. It was really badly organised, we had 1 bench to fit 40 people on. The party was meant to start at 2 but we had to wait for other customers to get out of our reserved area. So but the time we got setted and the kids could go and play they had to be dragged out to go to the mist smallest patheticest "party room" with rubbish food, no music and freezing cold barn. It says you will have an entertainer, we did she blew up one ballon and left! We wasted so much money on this day and it was a complete let down. Please don't waste your money. Completely ripped off.

7  Thank Hollyandpaul
Katherine N, Public Relations Manager at Hobbledown, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

We are very sorry to hear you were disappointed by your experience. We normally get excellent feedback about our parties so this is a surprise to hear. No complaints were reported to a manager on the day otherwise we would have done all we could to have turned this around for you.
Please accept our apologies. The general manager is now aware and will look into this matter.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I booked a birthday in Hobbledown for my three year old son , not knowing about the roles regards at the own cake . By calling a week before the birthday party , the question of whether I bring my own plates , I heard we will not be able to eat our cake , we will do ceremoni with a cake but do not eat because they are valid " roles of health and safe " which had put me in shock ! When birthday cake is ordered and you punish me to stand in front of children and parents sing the happy birthday song and blow out the candles and then inform our guests that we can not now eat this cake , ( it is not a profit on the cake with Hobbledown , which is very beautiful ,but in my opinion to look and admire , but not to eat . Is full of artificial colors ,and my 3 year old son does not eat such things ) If you are able to imagine themselves in such situations , it is embarrassing ! next half an hour I would have to explain the reigning all about roles , later comments of these incomprehensible rules , because surely we are on the farm , there are animals , there are bacteria , nobody pays £ 200 to come to Hobbledown and to poison their Child .When I ask for duty manager name: David - it turned out that he does not have any of plans for collaborating , (because in the end it comes to my son's birthday which are next week , invitations distributed ) in this conversation, it was about to show me who is a boss "David here ROCKS "and does not want to compromise ! ! SHOCK ! it is not about the children and give them satisfaction and joy , but about David roles. expecting a compromise, maybe sign the commitments of take in responsibility, NOTHING! even the girl with whom I spoke earlier, was nicer and gave me options, free cake-cap what thank heartily. But this is not about clogging something,but, that I will show my guests a beautiful cake and later hide him and tells them to take home . I was forced to cansell my son's birthday, to which David replied-"OK." OMG, this behavior should be shown in the watchdog for great parents cautionary . Devastated, I called Odds-farm and very warmly welcomed me ,and no one has a problem that we want to bring our own cake !Thank You Odds farms for saving my son's birthday party

5  Thank Jolanda2128
Katherine N, Public Relations Manager at Hobbledown, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

I am sorry you were not made aware about this rule. Our receptionists do tell everyone upon booking so I am not sure why this was not explained to you. It does however state it on the invoice you were sent 12 days before the party as well as on the party information leaflet that you received with your invitations.
Before you cancelled we did offer you our free cupcakes so you could have something to eat in the party room while we put your own cake in your party bags, but this was declined.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

My husband and I (aged 26 & 24 respectively) went to "hobbledown", and we weren't allowed in because we didn't have a child with us. We are both animals lover, I myself hold a degree in animal behaviour and welfare. We were told under no circumstances at all would we be allowed in because they want a "Family" experience and a couple who have been married since 2012 and can't have children do not count as a family.
Hobbledown has really gone downhill under it's new name/ownership, Horton Park farm was great, and these stupid entry restrictions are just absolute rubbish.

8  Thank Nikki H

Hobbledown is a family attraction geared towards children. It is our policy not to allow adults into Hobbledown without children and, likewise, not to allow children into Hobbledown without an adult to supervise them. This is purely as we have a duty of care towards our young visitors and safety and security is our primary concern.
The policy is on our website and is not unique to Hobbledown, other family attractions like ours do share it.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Went here with my daughter and her two children, aged 2 and 4. The kids loved it! We arrived early 10.30, before the crowds of buggies, mummies and screaming kids. There are plenty of tables where you can leave your outdoor clothes and buggies. The two children enjoyed the indoor maze for crawling, climbing and slides. It seemed perfectly safe and the staff kept the place reasonably clean and tidy. We had lunch there and the kids choices were fine. We wandered around outside to see some animals and the outdoor bouncy area, plus collecting green rocks for lollies. However, it was too cold to stay outside for long, and some areas were still very muddy after heavy rains. It got very busy by midday, so after 3 hours we left. Definitely would bring them again.

2  Thank BrianML
Katherine N, Public Relations Manager at Hobbledown, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Thanks for your review. It is good to hear you had a great time. We look forward to welcoming you again, bring the umbrella and waterproofs and you will always have a great time!

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Well where do i start?! Bring back Horton park!! Me, a friend and our two 7year olds visited Hobbledown on 21st Dec seduced by the amazing website. In a nutshell what an utter waste of money. We reluctantly paid the extortinate entrance fee and started to walk around which was done pretty quickly as there just isnt anything to do!! Its a so called farm but dont go expecting lots of farm animals because there isnt!! We spent a chunk of the day in the indoor play area which eventually the kids got bored of. Rip off no2 was the food. It was gross, cold and overpriced. As we'd paid in advance to see Santa we stayed to see that which to be fair was good. After that the only thing to do was to go back into the indoor play area. By now our 7 year olds were bored to tears so i went to complain to the manager who at first seemed pleasent enough and said he was sorry to hear that we werent having a good time so he offered a full refund but then threw it in my face that it would be preferable if we left straight away!! Never again, avoid this place and go visit Bocketts farm instead which is worth every penny!!

7  Thank cindy f

We are sorry to hear about your visit. We do have our winter pricing in place at the moment so the cost of an adult to visit at the weekend is £7.50 and a child is £8.50, which we feel is good value for money as you can arrive at 9am and stay until we close.
There were also extra activities on over the Christmas period, including our Pantomime which was available at no extra charge to the admission fee, and our high ropes course was open.
We do actually have a Zoo Licence but the weather has been so wet and windy that some of the animals may have been taking sanctuary in their shelters, which is why it may have seemed as though there were not many out and about.